General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speedplay cleat lubing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-06 2:37 PM

New user

Subject: Speedplay cleat lubing
Hello all.

So a few weeks ago I did a race in the pouring rain and my speedplay shoe cleats got clogged with mud in transition. I took them apart and cleaned them out, but in reading the instructions for how to clean them, discovered they need to be lubed every 1-2 rides. (I'm new at this bike thing).

How do I do this? Do I need to take the whole cleat apart every time? Or is a drop of lube dropped into the spring housing fine? The manf recommends a "dry-type" lube. I've got some "extra-dry" chain lube. Good enough? Or is there some special shoe-lube I need?

Thanks!

2008-05-06 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1385303

User image

Veteran
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Speedplay cleat lubing
balgera - 2008-05-06 1:37 PM

they need to be lubed every 1-2 rides.

Do I need to take the whole cleat apart every time?

Or is a drop of lube dropped into the spring housing fine?

I've got some "extra-dry" chain lube. Good enough? Or is there some special shoe-lube I need?

No way - I lube mine maybe twice a year, unless they get muddy, then I lube after I clean them out.

I've never disassembled them - I just use something pointy - scredriver, toothpick, etc.

Tri-flow works well, or any dry chain lube is fine - just put it into the point where the spring enters the main part of the cleat, and you're done.
2008-05-06 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1385303

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Speedplay cleat lubing
Right out of the instructions:

"For best results, lubricate cleat springs and all contact areas with dry-type lube (pro gold, Finish Line, etc) every one or two rides."

I'm with Brian. I lube mine a few times a summer and they work just fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speedplay cleat lubing Rss Feed