General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold Weather Races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-07 2:10 PM

User image

Nampa, Idaho
Subject: Cold Weather Races
My first triathlon EVER is next month. I'm really excited! BUT this one is in the mountains and it's going to be cold. I've never raced period, nonetheless raced in cooler weather. Wetsuits are mandatory and I'll be renting a suit for this race. Do I need a neoprene hood? DO I need neoprene booties? It's just a sprint length and I"m not planning on being in the water more than ten minutes.

What about the bike? Do you think I'll stay warm enough in tri-shorts? The weather will probably be around 45 -55 degrees. Should I throw on some pants and a jacket? Should I wear warmer socks?

It's just a sprint legnth so I really don't want to waste time in transition. But I'm so worried about my extremities getting numb and not being able to perform because of it!

Do you have any advice for cold weather races?

Thanks in advance!

2008-05-07 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1387631

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Cold Weather Races

For the swim, you need to know what the water temp will be on race day, not the air temp.  Most early season races will give you as estimate of what they think the water temp will be.  If not, contact the race director and ask.  If the water temp is going to be below about 65 degrees, I would go with the neoprene cap.  Below 60 and I would consider the booties if they are legal for your race.

For the bike, my experience has been that the excitement of the race and the fact that you will be going hard makes it feel like it is 10-15 degress warmer than it actually is.  I wouldn't worry about my legs or feet.  If it was sub-45, I would put on a bike jacket and gloves, otherwise, just the tri-top.

2008-05-07 3:39 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

For $25 get the neoprene cap. Booties are prolly a good idea but I've nver used them. Just for perspective I've swam in 55-60 water (HIM) in  a sleeveless w/ Neoprene cap and was fine.

Doing it again next week w/ no reservations.

As to the bike, I would prepare for the worst and then adjust as conditions permit.

Since it's your first, there w/b a lot to learn as you go. Have a plan but be ready to adapt and enjoy the experience. Finishing w/ a smile is the objective, time is irrelevant.

Good luck 

2008-05-07 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1387916

User image

Nampa, Idaho
Thank you for the advice. The water will definitely be sub sixty-It's a snow fed lake. I'll go with the neoprene cap. And I can always forget a jacket if it's warm enough but I"ll take it just in case.

Edited by chosenprovidence 2008-05-07 3:49 PM
2008-05-07 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1387956

User image

Elite
New City, New York

You're welcome I shuda mentioned  earplugs. I ALWAYS wear them, training and racing, Just got in the habit. But I have just recently read that people find earplugs help them in cold water swims. It can't hurt. You may want to give that a go as well given your glacier like swim

chosenprovidence - 2008-05-07 4:49 PM Thank you for the advice. The water will definitely be sub sixty-It's a snow fed lake. I'll go with the neoprene cap. And I can always forget a jacket if it's warm enough but I"ll take it just in case.

2008-05-07 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Nothing wrong with having a jacket and or pants in the transition area just in case. I did a race last Sept and the temps were in the upper 20's when I left home and mid to upper 30's at the start which made warming up more of a pain since I didn't want to get to sweaty and cool off.

The one major problem I had was I had a long sleeve shirt and getting that on in T1, though I had a towel and made a half hearted attempt at drying my upper body, it added at least two+ minutes to get the top on. So you may want to have your options available to you and try putting them on after stepping out of the shower to give you an idea on what a PIA getting clothes on a wet body can be. It really threw my normal routine off and I wasn't prepared for it.

My legs ended up being fine with out adding pants over the tri shorts, temps were in the mid 40's at the start of the bike and getting near 50 by the time I finished, as mentioned seem like racing kept me warmer. I always wear something over the legs when temps are below 55-60 in training.

Good luck

2008-05-07 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
I would suggest bringing an assortment of clothing options with you on race morning and deciding at that time.  In my duathon a couple of weeks ago I was all bundled up and by the time I got to the second run, I had to change my clothing plan--and wished I had put my number on my race belt on instead of pinning it to my polarfleece shirt.  Still, it worked out ok and didn't slow me down too much in transition.  Next race I am wearing less to start with, as the adrenaline definitely adds warmth.   I do agree with the earplugs for the swim, as I have heard that really helps and will do the same when faced with a cold swim this season.  And nobody has mentioned peeing in your wetsuit.  Good luck in your tri, and don't forget to post a race report!
2008-05-07 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1387999

User image

Nampa, Idaho
rottieguy - 2008-05-07 2:59 PM

The one major problem I had was I had a long sleeve shirt and getting that on in T1, though I had a towel and made a half hearted attempt at drying my upper body, it added at least two+ minutes to get the top on. So you may want to have your options available to you and try putting them on after stepping out of the shower to give you an idea on what a PIA getting clothes on a wet body can be. It really threw my normal routine off and I wasn't prepared for it.

Good luck

That's why I'm thinking a zip up jacket would be perfect for this. Because it is a pain pulling clothes on over damp skin. Especially when you're cold.

My goal is to just finis this triathlon! I'm nervous as heck.
2008-05-07 4:03 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
My wife and I just had this discussion with our tri coach as we are doing our first event of the season (her first ever) on Saturday and it will be cold. The neoprene hood is a great idea as most of your heat loss is through your head. The bootys would depend on your tolerance. Given it is your first event it is important to relax and enjoy it. With that cold of water your face and feet will feel like needles poking you so be prepared mentally for that. Also warmup a bit before putting your wetsuit on. You do not want to shock your lungs with the cold and anxiety any more than need be. If you have trouble breathing during the swim, relax, roll over on your back, and take a few deep breaths.

On the bike, your core is most important so a jacket or vest would be a good idea. If you normally ride with socks you may want to consider taking the extra time to put some on. Again your first race does not need to be a torture test. You should be fine with tri-shorts.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by popsracer 2008-05-07 4:05 PM
2008-05-07 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
I got a great tidbit of advice the other week from my coach. For those cold water swim starts, she actually brings along a water bottle with warm water and pours it inside her wetsuit just before the race to ease the pain. Definitely something I'm going to try for my early season races up in the frigid north!

E
2008-05-07 6:49 PM
in reply to: #1388041

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
rooneye - 2008-05-07 5:10 PM

I got a great tidbit of advice the other week from my coach. For those cold water swim starts, she actually brings along a water bottle with warm water and pours it inside her wetsuit just before the race to ease the pain. Definitely something I'm going to try for my early season races up in the frigid north!

E

If you drink enough water or coffee before the race you could always pee in your wetsuit, works well when needed

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold Weather Races Rss Feed