General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool Etiquette...Or LAck Of! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-05-08 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1390411

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Pool Etiquette...Or LAck Of!
Wow you guys are harsh. I never ask or expect others to. I guess it's different everywhere. Around here we all just circle swim and people can get in and out at anytime.

2008-05-08 3:30 PM
in reply to: #1390719

User image

Champion
the colony texas
So I should NOT be perfecting my  Areo Cannonball during lap swim...???
2008-05-08 3:30 PM
in reply to: #1390719

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
somoene gets in my lane without asking, they get to observe the butterfly stroke up close
2008-05-08 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1390741

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
jeng - 2008-05-08 3:29 PM

Wow you guys are harsh. I never ask or expect others to. I guess it's different everywhere. Around here we all just circle swim and people can get in and out at anytime.

x2. Lots of anger in this thread.

That said, I agree it's the polite thing to do to ask or wait until you are acknowledged. But by no means (at least where I swim) is it a requirement or worthy of some of the things suggested in this thread.

2008-05-08 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

If you all will allow me to hijack this thread for a moment...a few weeks back I was relaxing in the Y hot tub after a workout. I don't like the jets and bubbles on, they throw up all the chlorine in the tub and it really irritates my eyes, nose and lungs. In general, if someone wants to get in the tub after me and turn on the jets, they will ask. I always say it's ok. So that day this guy enters the hot tub room, looks me straight in the eye and turns on the jets. I said "that wasn't very courteious." He replied "what do you want me to do, wait 20 minutes?" I said "no, but you could have asked. How about if I came in after you and turned the jets off. Would you like that?" He didn't say anything to me but spent the next 10 minutes or so muttering to himself under his breath.

The next day the locker room attendant comes up to me and asks if I had words with this guy. Apparently he spent 5 minutes complaining to the attendant about me. The attendant told me that he told his guy he in the wrong. Now every time I see him I give him a big smile and say hello. He has yet to speak to me again. Boo hoo.

David

2008-05-08 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1390548

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

David tri's - 2008-05-08 3:31 PM
I was in a lane at the local Y pool and another member gets in and starts walking up and down the lane. I thought it was a little bit rude but no big deal until he decides to come on my side of the lane. I saw his feet, took one big extra big pull and ran right into him. Yes, I did it on purpose. I too am not afraid to hit someone else in the pool. Triathlon swimming is a full contact sport. The lifeguard moved him out of the lane and into the open swim part of the pool. I choose to believe that people just don't think. Not that they are a__.

That's what I'm talking about.     Smile  Full contact tri's.  There is always that one guy.

Normally I just stand at the edge and wait for the person to swim up.  I ask to share.  It's no problem at the Y  I attend.  If they seem to be just goofing around, I'll ask very frankly, are doing laps or goofing off, because some people are serious about lap swimming.  They always answer yes I'm doing laps.  Five minutes late they are out then I just switch lanes.

Edited by tasr 2008-05-08 4:02 PM

2008-05-08 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
It doesn't matter if its in the pool, on the golf course, or going down the highway, there will always be people that either don't know any better or don't care about those around them. Differentiating between "ignorants" and A-holes usually dictates my response. In the pool, it seems like most of the problems I encounter involve "ignorants" and if they knew proper behavior they would probably follow it. The pool I swim at does not post any kind of rules of etiquette but I think it would be a good idea. In fact tonight I will offer them the suggestion.
2008-05-08 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1390681

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

It wasn't your fault.  Someone should let you know they are getting in.  That can be done as simply as standing in the water at the end of the lane until the other swimmer hits the wall for a turn.  If the swimmer ignores someone at that point, then it's a different story.

Someone swimming laps doesn't always notice a person standing outside the water at the end of the lane.  Swimming freestyle, head down, breathing off to one side, and then a flip turn -- it's easy not to see someone standing outside the water.

2008-05-08 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Would it help to swim in the morning, when the pool opens? I've noticed a lot less crazys are in the pool at 5:30 am than at 5:30 pm!
2008-05-08 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1390769

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hey, if someone wants to SWIM in the lane WITH me... I'm more than willing to accomodate that person.

I am observant of what is going on around me and I actively offer to share lanes with people. If I see someone waiting (rarely happens) I call out to them and let them join me.

Now, if someone wants to get in my lane and just stand in front of me while I'm trying to swim... yes that kind of ticks me off.

lisac957 - 2008-05-08 3:39 PM

jeng - 2008-05-08 3:29 PM

x2. Lots of anger in this thread.

That said, I agree it's the polite thing to do to ask or wait until you are acknowledged. But by no means (at least where I swim) is it a requirement or worthy of some of the things suggested in this thread.

2008-05-08 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1390772

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
See... I have never met anyone who didn't want the jets in a hot tub. So it would never cross my mind to ask if it was OK to turn the jets on. I would just figure the timer had run out and the person hadn't/didn't want to get up to reset it. I would think I was doing them a favor.

David tri's - 2008-05-08 3:41 PM

If you all will allow me to hijack this thread for a moment...a few weeks back I was relaxing in the Y hot tub after a workout. I don't like the jets and bubbles on, they throw up all the chlorine in the tub and it really irritates my eyes, nose and lungs. In general, if someone wants to get in the tub after me and turn on the jets, they will ask. I always say it's ok. So that day this guy enters the hot tub room, looks me straight in the eye and turns on the jets. I said "that wasn't very courteious." He replied "what do you want me to do, wait 20 minutes?" I said "no, but you could have asked. How about if I came in after you and turned the jets off. Would you like that?" He didn't say anything to me but spent the next 10 minutes or so muttering to himself under his breath.

The next day the locker room attendant comes up to me and asks if I had words with this guy. Apparently he spent 5 minutes complaining to the attendant about me. The attendant told me that he told his guy he in the wrong. Now every time I see him I give him a big smile and say hello. He has yet to speak to me again. Boo hoo.

David

2008-05-08 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1390744

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

JungleDoc - 2008-05-08 4:30 PM somoene gets in my lane without asking, they get to observe the butterfly stroke up close

What about "sting like a bee"?

2008-05-08 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

My first swim a few years back (when I started tri training) I got swum over on my last lap.  I was tiring and in the wrong lane for my fitness level.  The other person was doing the back stroke so swam right over me.  No harsh words were spoken - I learned to pick a slower lane until my fitness level improved.  The swim directions were also new to me - but someone took the time to point them out.

The point I'm trying to make is - instead of "letting loose" on the other individual - help them out by explaining proper pool etiquette and direct them to whatever the lane rules are that your pool follows.  Otherwise you may just scare someone off swim training.

2008-05-08 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1390817

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-08 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1390832

Master
Ohio
KSH - 2008-05-08 4:56 PM See... I have never met anyone who didn't want the jets in a hot tub. So it would never cross my mind to ask if it was OK to turn the jets on. I would just figure the timer had run out and the person hadn't/didn't want to get up to reset it. I would think I was doing them a favor.

David

Fair point I suppose. But here's the way I look at it: when you're entering someone else's environment you should ask before you make any changes to that environment. That environment could be a hot tub, pool lane, shot-gun in your buddy's car, whatever. I think not asking to share a lane or turning on the jets is akin to changing the radio station in your friends car. It's not a big deal but the polite thing to do is ask first.

David

2008-05-08 4:08 PM
in reply to: #1390832

Champion
Butler
KSH - 2008-05-08 3:56 PM See... I have never met anyone who didn't want the jets in a hot tub. So it would never cross my mind to ask if it was OK to turn the jets on. I would just figure the timer had run out and the person hadn't/didn't want to get up to reset it. I would think I was doing them a favor.

David

X2.  IMO, jets are designed to be on so if I got in I probably wouldn't ask.  I equate the pool to a track.  Anyone can get on a track at any point an start running and noone will say anything.  The problem with a pool is you can't necessarily see and the lanes are much smaller than 400m so it is a safety issue to ask.  I will share a lane with 5 people if they ask, I have no problems.

2008-05-08 4:18 PM
in reply to: #1390741

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
jeng - 2008-05-08 1:29 PM

I think that's the point -- there isn't necessarily one "law" of pool etiquette. In my opinion, if you're new to the pool it's your responsibility to take a moment to familiarize yourself with the new environment. That means knowing what the rules are for that particular pool, and it also means watching the other swimmers to see what the unwritten rules are. For example, you automatically circle swim at your pool -- we don't at mine, and I get annoyed when someone hops in my lane and starts circle swimming when we could just be splitting the lane instead. The "rule" at my pool: one person in a lane, you swim on one side so a second person can join any time; two people in a lane, you split it; more than two, you circle swim. As for asking, some people do, some don't, but the "rule" is to at least stand at the end or dangle your feet in the water so the first swimmer knows your there.

But that's just my pool. If I went to a new pool I'd watch the other swimmers before getting in. And that's where etiquette comes up -- it strikes me as rude if people just do their own thing without giving a thought to anyone else. And if someone hopped in my lane and swam straight into me? Yeah, I'd be super annoyed.
2008-05-08 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1390877

Master
Ohio

X2.  IMO, jets are designed to be on so if I got in I probably wouldn't ask.  I equate the pool to a track.  Anyone can get on a track at any point an start running and noone will say anything.  The problem with a pool is you can't necessarily see and the lanes are much smaller than 400m so it is a safety issue to ask.  I will share a lane with 5 people if they ask, I have no problems.

Well put Kproudfoot. IMO this is the best way to sum up this issue.

Edited by David tri's 2008-05-08 4:22 PM
2008-05-08 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1390681

Vancouver, BC
johnu - 2008-05-08 1:15 PM
How was I to know he was in my lane when he entered as I was mid lap without even seeing him near my lane on the previous lap?

Sounds like you're trying to justify your reaction. If you don't circle swim, running into someone is the chance you take. Why should he expect you to acknowledge him before he can start swimming? Maybe he didn't see you when he got in the pool. He doesn't see you, you don't see him, who is at fault? This is why it's easier to do circle swimming even if you're alone.
2008-05-08 4:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

I agree with most people on here. However, I do have to have a rant about some people who may not know this themselves, but they swim in the middle of the lane and others that try to muscle there way in and end up spoiling your session.  I swim in the "medium" speed lane at the pool I go to and it kind of works out, although there are some people who don't get how you need to swim, i.e.: as show in the diagram post above (in a clockwise motion).  I smacked into a guy the otherday who thought that he could just jump in the lane and swim back and forth in a straight line.  I doubt it was his fault in a sense as he wasn't there to swim , but more to muck about, but do the lifesavers do anything about, no, they look as if they couldn't give a monkies!

It's also never easy choosing a lane in which you fit in speed wise either.  During the week mornings I swim in the medium speed lane as I'm too slow for the fast lane, but at nights or at weekends I can swim in the fast lane...  If I get passed more than twice then I move to one of the slower lane as I wouldn't like it if the roles were reversed.

All in all it works out pretty well the pool as most people are there to swim, well at 5:45am I don't think that there'd be people there to play about!

2008-05-08 4:34 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by mixie 2008-05-08 4:36 PM

2008-05-08 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1390929

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

meepx2 - 2008-05-08 4:27 PM
johnu - 2008-05-08 1:15 PM How was I to know he was in my lane when he entered as I was mid lap without even seeing him near my lane on the previous lap?
Sounds like you're trying to justify your reaction. If you don't circle swim, running into someone is the chance you take. Why should he expect you to acknowledge him before he can start swimming? Maybe he didn't see you when he got in the pool. He doesn't see you, you don't see him, who is at fault? This is why it's easier to do circle swimming even if you're alone.

Not every pool is circle swim.  And if the joiner "didn't see" the current swimmer then he definitely is to blame.  It is THAT person's responsibility to see what is going on in the lane before joining.  NOT the other way around. 

2008-05-08 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1390951

Champion
Dallas, TX
Good job on not backing down.

HA!

mixie - 2008-05-08 4:34 PM

I was at my gym earlier in the week, 3 lanes. Two people in two of the lanes, the third lane had one person. So she stopped at the wall and I said "Mind if we split the lane?" She said "I don't like to share, you're going to have to wait until Im done" I was kinda over that. I thought f*&^K that biznatch. So I hopped in anyway and swam to the right. Well, she came right at me down the middle of the lane and I didn't back off. She hit me and I thought whatever and kicked her back. Im with KSH, Im al ALL FOR contact swimming.

Then on my return back she's waiting for me at the wall, I go to flip turn go on my way. I come up to take a breath and she's SCREAMING obscenities. So then, next time back I stop at the wall and she is screaming at me. I looked at her and said "what's so bad about sharing a lane. Everyone else is what makes you so special" she continued yelling "I DONT WANT TO SHARE" I was like stop being a b1tch went back to swimming and she got out of the pool with everyone staring at her. WTF?! Funny was she had a Tri Club cap on, I shoudl call them and tell them what a erk their member is. 

2008-05-08 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1390955

Vancouver, BC
crowny2 - 2008-05-08 2:36 PM

Not every pool is circle swim. And if the joiner "didn't see" the current swimmer then he definitely is to blame. It is THAT person's responsibility to see what is going on in the lane before joining. NOT the other way around.

So I can assume the lanes in your pool are infinitely wide? If someone is swimming up and down the center of the lane, that's the chance they take. If you can't accept that some noob is going to get in your lane and cause a collision, then don't swim in the center. You can get angry at the noob all you want, but you put yourself in that position also.
2008-05-08 4:45 PM

Regular
I must be looking at this all wrong, if the lanes are full i won't even ask to share a lane. I figure its a sign from god to take a rest day and hit the hottub and sauna.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool Etiquette...Or LAck Of! Rss Feed  

of 4