General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool Etiquette...Or LAck Of! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-05-08 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1390970

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Pool Etiquette...Or LAck Of!
meepx2 - 2008-05-08 4:42 PM
crowny2 - 2008-05-08 2:36 PM

Not every pool is circle swim. And if the joiner "didn't see" the current swimmer then he definitely is to blame. It is THAT person's responsibility to see what is going on in the lane before joining. NOT the other way around.

So I can assume the lanes in your pool are infinitely wide? If someone is swimming up and down the center of the lane, that's the chance they take. If you can't accept that some noob is going to get in your lane and cause a collision, then don't swim in the center. You can get angry at the noob all you want, but you put yourself in that position also.

And if they are stupid enough to get into a lane, where they can plainly see that the individual swimming is smack dab in the middle of the lane, then they can pay the price and learn the hard way.

No, the lanes are not infinitely wide.  However, as stated above, it is common sense, as the joiner, to see what the rules, whether written or unwritten, of the lanes are. 

2008-05-08 4:49 PM
in reply to: #1390976

Vancouver, BC
crowny2 - 2008-05-08 2:46 PM

And if they are stupid enough to get into a lane, where they can plainly see that the individual swimming is smack dab in the middle of the lane, then they can pay the price and learn the hard way.

No, the lanes are not infinitely wide. However, as stated above, it is common sense, as the joiner, to see what the rules, whether written or unwritten, of the lanes are.

Pools are one place you shouldn't expect common sense, just look at all the stories.
2008-05-08 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1390974

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
ericd256 - 2008-05-08 4:45 PM

I must be looking at this all wrong, if the lanes are full i won't even ask to share a lane. I figure its a sign from god to take a rest day and hit the hottub and sauna.

If the lanes are wide enough, which typically they are... it's reasonable to split a lane with someone. Have them swim on the right side of the line, you on the left.

Honestly, I find it pretty funny for people to think they need a whole lane, both right and left sides, to themselves. Why can't they just share? It's not that hard.

Otherwise... you are lucky you can take a rest day like that. Sometimes, when you have very limited time and lots of training to do the for the week, missing a scheduled swim is out of the question.
2008-05-08 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1390411

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I'm not interested in intentionally running into someone even if they're being a jerk because I don't want to hurt myself. 

I had a swim where a group was hanging out near the end of the pool (the pool only had one lane roped off, and it was being used) and kept inching closer and closer to me.  Now I can do flip turns, but they aren't always *precise* so I'd just as soon not have someone hanging out 3" from where I might *flop* instead if flip...Nice thing about flip turns is your head is under water so it's hard for the interloper to engage you. 

2008-05-08 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1390929

User image

Veteran
Redlands, CA
meepx2 - 2008-05-08 2:27 PM

johnu - 2008-05-08 1:15 PM
How was I to know he was in my lane when he entered as I was mid lap without even seeing him near my lane on the previous lap?

Sounds like you're trying to justify your reaction. If you don't circle swim, running into someone is the chance you take. Why should he expect you to acknowledge him before he can start swimming? Maybe he didn't see you when he got in the pool. He doesn't see you, you don't see him, who is at fault? This is why it's easier to do circle swimming even if you're alone.

I'm not trying to justify anything. First off I do circle swim to a degree but our lanes are barely two swimmers wide and I don't brush against the lane lines the whole time if alone in the lane. Secondly I have absolutely no problem sharing lanes but I would expect the other individual to at least stand at the end of the pool until get back from my lap so that we can acknowledge each other.

If he can't see me in a 25yrd lap pool then something is wrong.
2008-05-08 5:43 PM
in reply to: #1390709

User image

Elite
san francisco
dalessit - 2008-05-08 1:21 PM

wow, reading all these makes me love my pool even more. It is purely a lap pool in a government building, no kids, just people there doing laps.

X2 omg, i am sitting here laughing out loud and my stomach hurts, thanks esp to KSH!!!

2008-05-08 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1390951

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
mixie - 2008-05-08 3:34 PM

I was at my gym earlier in the week, 3 lanes. Two people in two of the lanes, the third lane had one person. So she stopped at the wall and I said "Mind if we split the lane?" She said "I don't like to share, you're going to have to wait until Im done" I was kinda over that. I thought f*&^K that biznatch. So I hopped in anyway and swam to the right. Well, she came right at me down the middle of the lane and I didn't back off. She hit me and I thought whatever and kicked her back. Im with KSH, Im al ALL FOR contact swimming.

Then on my return back she's waiting for me at the wall, I go to flip turn go on my way. I come up to take a breath and she's SCREAMING obscenities. So then, next time back I stop at the wall and she is screaming at me. I looked at her and said "what's so bad about sharing a lane. Everyone else is what makes you so special" she continued yelling "I DONT WANT TO SHARE" I was like stop being a b1tch went back to swimming and she got out of the pool with everyone staring at her. WTF?! Funny was she had a Tri Club cap on, I shoudl call them and tell them what a erk their member is. 

OMG - that's horrible! I figure the asking is a courtesy, which you observed, but it's not truly a question (more of a polite way of saying watch out, I'm getting in) in pools where sharing is the norm. What makes her think she deserves her own special princess lane where no one can intrude, when everyone else has to share? You all pay the same gym fee and if there's space, you get to use it.
2008-05-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1390951

User image

mixie - 2008-05-08 2:34 PM

I was at my gym earlier in the week, 3 lanes. Two people in two of the lanes, the third lane had one person. So she stopped at the wall and I said "Mind if we split the lane?" She said "I don't like to share, you're going to have to wait until Im done" I was kinda over that. I thought f*&^K that biznatch. So I hopped in anyway and swam to the right. Well, she came right at me down the middle of the lane and I didn't back off. She hit me and I thought whatever and kicked her back. Im with KSH, Im al ALL FOR contact swimming.

Then on my return back she's waiting for me at the wall, I go to flip turn go on my way. I come up to take a breath and she's SCREAMING obscenities. So then, next time back I stop at the wall and she is screaming at me. I looked at her and said "what's so bad about sharing a lane. Everyone else is what makes you so special" she continued yelling "I DONT WANT TO SHARE" I was like stop being a b1tch went back to swimming and she got out of the pool with everyone staring at her. WTF?! Funny was she had a Tri Club cap on, I shoudl call them and tell them what a erk their member is. 

awesome, smack that beeyatch.

LA tri club?

2008-05-08 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

In a sense I think it's kind of simple really, as you swim clockwise around the lane (that being the lanes are seperated).  This way you don't really have to wait for someone to finish.  If they are half way down the pool when you arrive and you start swimming (clockwise) then the other swimmer should see you... everyone is happy Wink

2008-05-08 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1391116

User image

ForrestGump - 2008-05-08 4:10 PM

In a sense I think it's kind of simple really, as you swim clockwise around the lane (that being the lanes are seperated).  This way you don't really have to wait for someone to finish.  If they are half way down the pool when you arrive and you start swimming (clockwise) then the other swimmer should see you... everyone is happy Wink

I know you do things a bit backward down there, light switches go up for off and all , but if you travel north of the equator you'll need to circle swim counterclockwise!

2008-05-08 6:37 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA

Folks - c'mon.  I swim slower than probaby anyone else on his site and it would take me - at most - 1' between when somone would walk up to th edge of the pool and when I would get back the the egde of the pool (say 1:30 Round trip).  Are you telling me that someone has to walk up, get in, and start swimming in that less than two minutes? 

I'm not sure how that could even happen, but in any case, there is no reason why someone can't be courteous and wait for you to come back and acknowledge them before they start to swim. It's a couple of minutes.  Stretch your shoulders.

As far as "you should expect it, look at some of the stories" - that's what is wrong with the world anyway.  We start to excuse stuff like that and don't make a point to menion it, and it becomes the norm instead of the exception.  I'm not saying rip their head off, but have a decent converstion that says, "Hey, this is the accpeted courtesy".  Chances are they didn't know.  If you don't say anything, they still won't know and if you rip their head off they are going to be defensive. 

My Mom once told me somehing about a "Golden Rule".

2008-05-08 7:16 PM

Regular
I swim at my college's pool, which is olympic size (50mx25y), so I usually never have trouble finding lanes to swim in alone. However, finding a time when the pool administration isn't out to kill my workout is tough. Twice in the past 2 weeks (including 400y into a 1200y TT today) I've had to stop and get out of the pool in the middle of my workout because they rented lanes to a local middle-school aged team, who always need the lanes going the other direction. Today it took about 20 minutes to go from the 25-yard direction to the 50-m, which is a workout killer. Plus swapping from yards to meters mid workout makes logging it here on BT annoying.

Am I being too sensitive here, or for 40K tuition shouldn't my fellow students and I get priority?
2008-05-08 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1390974

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Wow, what a way to bag a workout.  Our lanes at the rec center are uber wide and plenty to accomodate two.  Even the "pool ediquette" (yeah the geniuses spelled it wrong but it's there) indicate that if there's already two in the lane to"seek permission" before dropping a third in.

I must be fortunate that the pool expects folks to share lanes.  Seems like a waste of water to have only 8 folks swimming in a generous sized pool.

2008-05-08 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1391104

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-08 8:18 PM

Veteran
Grayson, Ga.
I like to story of the girl that wanted to wait for your lane.
It's not a treadmill hunny, HTFU.

2008-05-08 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1391223

Champion
Butler

Stephen T - 2008-05-08 7:16 PM I swim at my college's pool, which is olympic size (50mx25y), so I usually never have trouble finding lanes to swim in alone. However, finding a time when the pool administration isn't out to kill my workout is tough. Twice in the past 2 weeks (including 400y into a 1200y TT today) I've had to stop and get out of the pool in the middle of my workout because they rented lanes to a local middle-school aged team, who always need the lanes going the other direction. Today it took about 20 minutes to go from the 25-yard direction to the 50-m, which is a workout killer. Plus swapping from yards to meters mid workout makes logging it here on BT annoying. Am I being too sensitive here, or for 40K tuition shouldn't my fellow students and I get priority?
That is crazy.  I would definately think that students get first choice.  Do they give warning of the hours?  I know the place I swim masters currently has access to 3 of the 4 lanes from 4 to 6 am 2 days a week.  Member who pay $50 a month can't swim but me paying $75 a year can.  Really doesn't seem fair but they know in advance and can always pony up $75 to swim with us.

Now as far as courtesy or what are the rules, I have never been until recently on any kind of swim team.  When I first started learning to swim, I looked around the web for rules talked to the guards etc. to see what to do and they all said the same thing as people here are saying.  Basically, it is my opinion that if you are going to swim laps be prepared to share a lane, period, end of story.  If you get to the pool and don't want to share simply wait and start swimming.  If someone gets in your lane (properly, I mean, sits down, waits for you to acknowledge them and then split or swim circles), either get out or shut up.  If they don't follow the rules, it is acceptable to pull  KSH on them.  If there are 2 of you in all lanes and another person shows up, swim circles.   People who don't know these rules either don't look around or just don't care.  I think alot of times when people just get in and start swimming circles they probably were on a swim team and figure people just expect it.  I will swim in the middle of the lane until I see people enter the pool.  Then I shift to one side and always offer my lane.

Edited by kproudfoot 2008-05-08 9:06 PM

2008-05-08 9:03 PM

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
The other day, I was sharing a lane with this lady. I get to the end of the lane, and another guy asks if we can circle, so I say, "fine", and make my turn. As I'm heading out, I see her in the left-hand lane, coming towards me and the other guy. I get to the end of the right-hand lane, make my flip, and, since I'm now circling, I push off into the other lane---and crash right into the lady, who apparently didn't get the circle-swim memo. And she LOSES it on me. I initially apologized, but she just kept on about it, so I just said, "look, I said I was sorry", and took off. Apparently, the other guy hadn't been able to get her attention (or she ignored him), so she didn't know we were circling.

I guess I should have looked before I changed lanes, but I assumed that he'd have told her just like he did me that we were circling. In any case, I think her reaction was overblown. You'd have thought I'd pulled her top down or something. She was still going on about it to her friend twenty minutes later.
2008-05-08 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1391454

jmk-brooklyn - 2008-05-08 10:03 PM

The other day, I was sharing a lane with this lady. I get to the end of the lane, and another guy asks if we can circle, so I say, "fine", and make my turn. As I'm heading out, I see her in the left-hand lane, coming towards me and the other guy. I get to the end of the right-hand lane, make my flip, and, since I'm now circling, I push off into the other lane---and crash right into the lady, who apparently didn't get the circle-swim memo. And she LOSES it on me. I initially apologized, but she just kept on about it, so I just said, "look, I said I was sorry", and took off. Apparently, the other guy hadn't been able to get her attention (or she ignored him), so she didn't know we were circling.

I guess I should have looked before I changed lanes, but I assumed that he'd have told her just like he did me that we were circling. In any case, I think her reaction was overblown. You'd have thought I'd pulled her top down or something. She was still going on about it to her friend twenty minutes later.

That's why I don't like splitting the lane--you have to round up everyone if a third joins you. I think it's much more polite to circle . . .people can jump in without too disruption. And you don't have to break up your workout when you're not ready for a rest.

(And, personally, if someone jumps into a circle swim without my acknowledgment, I really don't care. The less stopping me to ask for permission the better).
2008-05-08 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1391441

Regular
kproudfoot - 2008-05-08 10:01 PM

Stephen T - 2008-05-08 7:16 PM I swim at my college's pool, which is olympic size (50mx25y), so I usually never have trouble finding lanes to swim in alone. However, finding a time when the pool administration isn't out to kill my workout is tough. Twice in the past 2 weeks (including 400y into a 1200y TT today) I've had to stop and get out of the pool in the middle of my workout because they rented lanes to a local middle-school aged team, who always need the lanes going the other direction. Today it took about 20 minutes to go from the 25-yard direction to the 50-m, which is a workout killer. Plus swapping from yards to meters mid workout makes logging it here on BT annoying. Am I being too sensitive here, or for 40K tuition shouldn't my fellow students and I get priority?
That is crazy.  I would definately think that students get first choice.  Do they give warning of the hours?  I know the place I swim masters currently has access to 3 of the 4 lanes from 4 to 6 am 2 days a week.  Member who pay $50 a month can't swim but me paying $75 a year can.  Really doesn't seem fair but they know in advance and can always pony up $75 to swim with us.

No warning whatsoever. The pool's hours are minimal to begin off with, so there isn't much room for me to try to come at different times even if they did. I just feel like they should know it's coming and switch the lanes before the pool opens. Pool is also often closed for entire (3-day) weekends due to meets, with little (24hr max) advance notice given.

I just think the people in charge need a little course in etiquette as badly as the swimmers everyone else is encountering do.
2008-05-09 8:52 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
That is crazy. I would definately think that students get first choice. Do they give warning of the hours? I know the place I swim masters currently has access to 3 of the 4 lanes from 4 to 6 am 2 days a week. Member who pay $50 a month can't swim but me paying $75 a year can. Really doesn't seem fair but they know in advance and can always pony up $75 to swim with us.

Well, we do leave a lane open for paying gym members.

And this morning...watch out folks... I was NICE in the pool ... I saw a gal sitting on the side waiting to get in a lane (the one free lane was taken up by 2 guys) and I told her she was welcome to get in our lane and circle swim with us. Which she did and she behaved herself and we behaved ourselves.
2008-05-09 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1392017

Champion
Butler
KSH - 2008-05-09 8:52 AM
And this morning...watch out folks... I was NICE in the pool ... I saw a gal sitting on the side waiting to get in a lane (the one free lane was taken up by 2 guys) and I told her she was welcome to get in our lane and circle swim with us. Which she did and she behaved herself and we behaved ourselves.
Wow, someone is turning soft.

2008-05-09 11:30 AM

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Very simple to me. Be courteous to others. If that means I have to wait a minute until someone makes it down by me again that's fine. I'll even give someone else the benefit of the doubt if they crash into me 'cause I had no way of knowing they are there.
2008-05-09 12:44 PM

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I'm still confused about some issues of pool etiquette after all these years of swimming. 

It's been a while since anything unexpected happened in the pool, but the last time something unusual happened was when some gal got out of the spa with her friend and climbed into the end of my lane.  She stood there and proceeded to chit chat for ten minutes with her (male) friend who had climbed into the next lane.  That was a bit odd since the two lanes on the other side of him were empty.  But I kept doing my set and ignoring her.  Then, I come down to do another flip turn and she is standing on one leg with her other leg sprawled out horizontally right across the wall where I was pushing off on my flip turns.

So I really wasn't sure what the proper thing to do was.  Should I have just done my flip turn, planted my feet on her inner thigh and crushed her leg with a really hard push off?  I really don't want to contemplate if that was some weird invitation for a threesome in the spa or something.  Anyway, I just stopped, looked at her, and said "No problem, I'll go use those empty lanes over there."  She got out and left right after I moved over.

2008-05-09 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1392682

Champion
Dallas, TX
SevenZulu - 2008-05-09 12:44 PM

So I really wasn't sure what the proper thing to do was.  Should I have just done my flip turn, planted my feet on her inner thigh and crushed her leg with a really hard push off?  I really don't want to contemplate if that was some weird invitation for a threesome in the spa or something.  Anyway, I just stopped, looked at her, and said "No problem, I'll go use those empty lanes over there."  She got out and left right after I moved over.

Well, I'm pretty spot on with where my feet land. I'm sure I could have pushed off above/below her leg. No pain inflicted, but it would have scared her out of the lane.
2008-05-09 1:06 PM

Veteran
Greenbelt, MD

My worst experience with lack of pool etiquette had to do with someone who wasn't even lap swimming (well didn't happen to me specifically but I witnessed it...good thing too or I might have gone postal on the dude).  The lane next to the aerobics class had 2 people sharing a lane.  Shortly after the class started a very large older man (I'd call him a gentleman but he's clearly not) got in the pool and looked like he was going to join the class...well he did, but he decided he was going to take up a position in the lane next to the class and block both swimmers (he was that big).  They both threw him dirty looks but he didn't get the hint so they both just got out of the pool in a huff.  I probably would have at the very least practiced full body contact swimming skills. 

I don't know if the guy was just super clueless, didn't want to pay for the class, or what, but who the heck gets in a lane where 2 people are swimming up and down and stands in their way and does water aerobics?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool Etiquette...Or LAck Of! Rss Feed  

of 4