General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Shoes....what to look for? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-09 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale, Mi
Subject: Triathlon Shoes....what to look for?
I just bought my first tri shoes from Pearl Izumi (Tri Fly's) mostly because they were pink, black and white. They were $125.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=115&product_i...

What things should I look for in a tri shoe? I don't want to spend $250, but want a decent pair that will make me competitive and effecient.

2008-05-10 7:06 AM
in reply to: #1393294

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Triathlon Shoes....what to look for?
Comfort, then quick entry/exit good ventilation so that your feet can dry after the swim.
2008-05-13 8:37 AM

User image

Denver
Should you be training, or more specifically running in your Tri shoes if you have a Tri coming up??
2008-05-13 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1398696

User image

Mesa
ousooner45 - 2008-05-13 6:37 AM

Should you be training, or more specifically running in your Tri shoes if you have a Tri coming up??

Tri shoes are bike shoes... run in them if you really want to.

I have PI Tri Fly shoes and they are great. They fit like a sock and are very comfortable. I don't wear socks even on long rides. I only wear socks when it gets cold.
2008-05-14 8:07 AM
in reply to: #1398736

User image

Veteran
Ferndale, Mi
What model do you have? Last years model featured a one strap design, this years have a two strap? I've heard from my LBS that the two strap have given people some trouble.
2008-05-14 8:34 AM

lgabbs - 2008-05-09 6:06 PM I just bought my first tri shoes from Pearl Izumi (Tri Fly's) mostly because they were pink, black and white. They were $125. http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=115&p... What things should I look for in a tri shoe? I don't want to spend $250, but want a decent pair that will make me competitive and effecient.

I saw those and I LOVE that they've got pink on them (I have lots of pink tri/bike stuff) - but they have 2 straps. Was hoping to find some with one strap, but women's tri-shoes don't seem to come with one strap. My feet are too small for men's shoes If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. (As a reference point, my normal bike shoes are Specialized)

2008-05-14 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1401402

User image

Mesa
lgabbs - 2008-05-14 6:07 AM

What model do you have? Last years model featured a one strap design, this years have a two strap? I've heard from my LBS that the two strap have given people some trouble.

I have 1 strap. I actually got lucky and have a pair of pre-production shoes from the last model.

2008-05-14 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1401519

chile7473 - 2008-05-14 9:50 AM
lgabbs - 2008-05-14 6:07 AM What model do you have? Last years model featured a one strap design, this years have a two strap? I've heard from my LBS that the two strap have given people some trouble.
I have 1 strap. I actually got lucky and have a pair of pre-production shoes from the last model.

I think it might just be the guys' PI shoes that only have one strap?

2008-05-14 6:31 PM

User image

Mesa
The last 2 models of PI Tri shoes have 1 strap it is the latest version that has 2 straps.. mens or womens.
2008-05-14 6:50 PM
in reply to: #1401468

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-14 8:34 AM

lgabbs - 2008-05-09 6:06 PM I just bought my first tri shoes from Pearl Izumi (Tri Fly's) mostly because they were pink, black and white. They were $125. http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=115&product_i... What things should I look for in a tri shoe? I don't want to spend $250, but want a decent pair that will make me competitive and effecient.

I saw those and I LOVE that they've got pink on them (I have lots of pink tri/bike stuff) - but they have 2 straps. Was hoping to find some with one strap, but women's tri-shoes don't seem to come with one strap. My feet are too small for men's shoes If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. (As a reference point, my normal bike shoes are Specialized)

Have you tried the Specialized Women's Trivent shoe? I don't own a pair, but I have tried them on at my LBS...the fit was nice. If it weren't for the fact that I'm doing my first tri this June, I would have bought them. But I didn't want to spend the $160 for tri-specific shoes for my very first event. If I get "hooked" and stick with it, I'll probably end up with the Trivents. But for now, I plan on using my MTB shoes for my first one.
2008-05-14 9:11 PM
in reply to: #1403205

nscrbug - 2008-05-14 7:50 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-14 8:34 AM

lgabbs - 2008-05-09 6:06 PM I just bought my first tri shoes from Pearl Izumi (Tri Fly's) mostly because they were pink, black and white. They were $125. http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=115&p... What things should I look for in a tri shoe? I don't want to spend $250, but want a decent pair that will make me competitive and effecient.

Have you tried the Specialized Women's Trivent shoe? I don't own a pair, but I have tried them on at my LBS...the fit was nice. If it weren't for the fact that I'm doing my first tri this June, I would have bought them. But I didn't want to spend the $160 for tri-specific shoes for my very first event. If I get "hooked" and stick with it, I'll probably end up with the Trivents. But for now, I plan on using my MTB shoes for my first one.
Ooh, no, but I will look into them - when I either find them on sale or have $160 to spend. I have another pair of Specialized shoes that I got on Ebay for spin class (so I wouldn't have to change cleats, or have to use Sh*tmanos on my actual bike), so I know the Specialized shoes fit my feet well.

ETA: I just googled them and they are silver with purple details - my cute Specialized road bike, which is my current bike for tris is white with purple details - I would match. And that would be kinda lame. But also cute Tempting...but why do they all have 2 straps? Can't women handle just one?!

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-05-14 9:16 PM

2008-05-14 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1403410

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-14 9:11 PM

Ooh, no, but I will look into them - when I either find them on sale or have $160 to spend. I have another pair of Specialized shoes that I got on Ebay for spin class (so I wouldn't have to change cleats, or have to use Sh*tmanos on my actual bike), so I know the Specialized shoes fit my feet well.

ETA: I just googled them and they are silver with purple details - my cute Specialized road bike, which is my current bike for tris is white with purple details - I would match. And that would be kinda lame. But also cute Tempting...but why do they all have 2 straps? Can't women handle just one?!

Just curious...what is it that you don't like about your Shimanos? Reason I ask, is because I was thinking of getting a pair (the men's RT-51 touring shoes). I thought they might be easier to use (due to their 'walkability') in my first sprint tri instead of my Specialized Riata MTB shoes. I'm looking for a stiff-soled shoe with a rubber bottom (like the touring shoes), to get through T1. Plus...I use regular SPD pedals on my road bike, so the touring shoe would fit the bill. Any thoughts?

Edited by nscrbug 2008-05-14 9:25 PM
2008-05-14 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1403433

nscrbug - 2008-05-14 10:21 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-14 9:11 PM Ooh, no, but I will look into them - when I either find them on sale or have $160 to spend. I have another pair of Specialized shoes that I got on Ebay for spin class (so I wouldn't have to change cleats, or have to use Sh*tmanos on my actual bike), so I know the Specialized shoes fit my feet well.

ETA: I just googled them and they are silver with purple details - my cute Specialized road bike, which is my current bike for tris is white with purple details - I would match. And that would be kinda lame. But also cute Tempting...but why do they all have 2 straps? Can't women handle just one?!

Just curious...what is it that you don't like about your Shimanos? Reason I ask, is because I was thinking of getting a pair (the men's RT-51 touring shoes). I thought they might be easier to use (due to their 'walkability') in my first sprint tri instead of my Specialized Riata MTB shoes. I'm looking for a stiff-soled shoe with a rubber bottom (like the touring shoes), to get through T1. Plus...I use regular SPD pedals on my road bike, so the touring shoe would fit the bill. Any thoughts?

No, I meant the shimano spd cleats, which I don't like, which are what the spin-bikes at the gym are compatible with. I have Look pedals on my bike. I did, however, try on a pair of shimano shoes when I bought my bike, and they were too wide for my feet. But it might have been that particular model. It's the old cleats, though, that I don't like.

2008-05-14 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1403456

User image

Master
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-14 10:34 PM
nscrbug - 2008-05-14 10:21 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-14 9:11 PM Ooh, no, but I will look into them - when I either find them on sale or have $160 to spend. I have another pair of Specialized shoes that I got on Ebay for spin class (so I wouldn't have to change cleats, or have to use Sh*tmanos on my actual bike), so I know the Specialized shoes fit my feet well.

No, I meant the shimano spd cleats, which I don't like, which are what the spin-bikes at the gym are compatible with. I have Look pedals on my bike. I did, however, try on a pair of shimano shoes when I bought my bike, and they were too wide for my feet. But it might have been that particular model. It's the old cleats, though, that I don't like.

Not old.. MTB 

2008-05-15 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale, Mi
I'm super excited....I just returned the Pearl Izumi's and got the coolest shoes in the world (if you like pink)! They're limited edition Michellie Jones Sidi T2.6 Carbons. They're soooo comfortable, fit nice and snug, and I can tell they'll last forever.

(pink tri shoe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
pink tri shoe.jpg (6KB - 27 downloads)
2008-05-16 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1405577

lgabbs - 2008-05-15 6:43 PM I'm super excited....I just returned the Pearl Izumi's and got the coolest shoes in the world (if you like pink)! They're limited edition Michellie Jones Sidi T2.6 Carbons. They're soooo comfortable, fit nice and snug, and I can tell they'll last forever.

Holy CRAP those are hot!!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Shoes....what to look for? Rss Feed