General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-05 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
Subject: knee injury
whoopee i have a knee injury, physio says its some kind of damage (mildish) behind the cap. anyone had anything like this at all? apparently i may have to have an MRI scan, does this sound serious?

typical i am just in the last couple of weeks of build just ready to peak for a big race at the end of the month....maybe not anymore

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

2005-01-05 12:51 PM
in reply to: #99074

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: knee injury

I feel for you, having had my knees under the knife 6 times in the past (1 left, 5 on the right). Just know that if you comply with the rehab and don't try to ignore the problem you can be very optimistic. I currently run and bike pain-free despite my history. So there's hope! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

2005-01-06 3:25 AM
in reply to: #99173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
wow i hope its not that bad! but thanks for the support, actually it feels alot better today (see smiles today)
2005-01-07 2:18 PM

Regular
Minneapolis
I've got this patella/femoral something or other where there are, I"m told, divets in the lining behind my cap, that makes it sound like Swartzeneggar walking over broken glass in combat boots everytime I walk up the stairs. Unpleasant—all that is to say that it's amazing how many things can go wrong with that particular piece of the anatomy...it sucks...and I wish you luck!
2005-01-07 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
I've had problems over the past year with my knee. Finally saw a doctor a couple months ago, diagnosed with patellofemoral pain syndrome (aka runners knee). Pain is below kneecap, doc explained it as the groove that the cap slides in is all roughed up (sounds similar to what you discribe). I've tried several things, and two appear to have helped.

First, start strengthening your leg muscles. The doc gave me these theraband things to strengthen hip flexors, quads and hams. I think they are the same excercises discribed in InsideTri this month. Also do quarter squats (no weight), calf raises, leg extensions and curls, all 5 times a week for the last two months. My legs feel much stronger and the knee pain has gone away.

Second, I started taking a glucosamine sulfate supplement about a month ago, 1500 mg per day. I don't know if it has contributed to my knee getting better or not, but since it was relatively cheap I think I'll stick with it. I couldn't find any info that says there were harmful effects with this supplement.

I also stretch after every bike/run and ice my knee. But that in and of itself did not help the pain get better, it only made it relatively stable. I think the strengthening thing is the big reason that I'm doing better.

Good luck!
2005-01-10 12:32 PM
in reply to: #100580

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I have had knee problems since late last summer. I visited 2 orthpaedic surgeons and the first said 'probably' patellar tendonitis(the tendon just below the cap) a.k.a. Jumper's knee and to continue riding and swimming but NO running. He told me to do a few light exercises and see what happens.

I went for a second opinion and he said to STOP running, biking and swimming altogether and just do a light spin for 10 mins on the stationary and stretch for 30 mins.

I am very confused and wonder if anyone has experienced this and if so, how long before the pain stops. It has gotten better but only b/c I have stopped exercising/training.

Will light strenth training really help?

Thanks,
Tony

2005-01-10 10:02 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Don't fret Ginger Ninja, you can fully recover from knee injuries, at least with my experience.
I had 2 surgeries on my left knee. One to remove torn cartilage, second was ACL reconstruction. This injury was the reason I started doing triathlons. It was a goal for me and helped me through PT and rehab.
Afterwards, I was in better shape than ever before.
So you may have to miss your upcoming race, but do what the Dr. says, work on your quad and hamstring strength and you'll be back in no time!

Stay positive!

Edited by bmax 2005-01-10 10:03 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee injury Rss Feed