On Your Mark Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m
Overall Rank = 8/
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a waffle for breakfast before leaving the house. Got a Starbucks at Angel's Camp. Drove to start and set up equipment on up-hill side of racks (closest to T1 Exit and T2 Entry/Exit
Event warmup:

Rode bike around the parking lot and out on the course a bit to warm up legs. Hydrated with Accelerade. Got into wet-suit about 15 minutes before start. Swam out and around the first bouy to check sighting (it was only about 200 yards out). Got a good warm-up. Problem was the pre-race announcements took so long the warm-up was pointless, so it was a cold start.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1000 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Took off FAST to get to the first bouy before the congestion - it was a 200 yard sprint. Did not get into a rhythem, and paid for it after rounding the bouy. Water was cold, and my breathing became very labored and difficult. Couldn't exhale. Finally dropped way off pace and caught my breath. The final 500 was strong. Came out of the water almost even with a much stronger swimmer that I train with, so I know I did well overall. Took wet-suit off at the bottom of the boat ramp for the 1/4 mile run to T1.
What would you do differently?:

More sprint start training to get a better transition from start to rhythem swimming.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Was quick through transition except for the run up the boat ramp. I walked wuickly rather than pounding on the rough concrete. Taking the wetsuit off at the bottom was a good choice and overall saved me time and energy. New Tri Shoes made getting into them and on the bike much quicker. Adjusted straps on the go.

Flip Flops at the bottom of the boat ramp so I could run up the ramp.
Bike
  • 48m 30s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Much stronger on the bike, which I expected after all the bike racing early this season. Kept the bike set up in the Road configuration, which was OK for this course, but still a disadvantage overall since there are some good flats and moderate hill that a TT bike favored. I made up LOTS of positioin on the hills.

TT bike! Next year will be a different story!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Great T2!

Nothing
Run
  • 28m
  • 4 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

Started up the hill out of T2 and immediately felt my calves start to cramp. Slowed the pace and walked up the big hill to the start of the single-track. Once on the trail, caught a comfortable stride with one runner in front and another right on my heals. Started loosening up about 3/4 mile in, and passed the runner in front of me right before a downhill that allowed me to stride out and increase the gap. Finished the last mile strong and was never challenged by either runner behind me.

Need to work on hills to build running strength, and on T2. The start of the run is always tough for me this early in the season.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back up the hill to get my water bottle that I dropped at the aid station, then biked around the parking lot. Did NOT do an adequate stretch, which caused my calf to knot up later int he evening.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

T2 - starting the run. Need more bike-run BRICK workouts.

Event comments:

This continues to be a GREAT First Race of the Season!

Last updated: 2008-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1000 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 15/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Left Turn triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:30 | 16 miles | 19.79 mile/hr
Overall: 9/
Wind: None
Course: Very hilly out and back. Hard climb going out, great down-hill coming back in!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:00 | 04 miles | 07m  min/mile
Overall: 8/
Course: Rolling hills on single-track trail. Start of the race is very steep, which makes for a fast finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes