General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim training with sharks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-12 1:43 PM

Veteran
South Florida
Subject: Swim training with sharks
When is the best time to swim train in the ocean? I don't want to be swimming when sharks are feeding. Yes, I'm being serious.

2008-05-12 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1397076

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Swim training with sharks
I beleive sharks normally feed at twilight or at night, but that doesn't mean that they won't snack at other times of the day.
2008-05-13 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Never at dusk or dawn should you train.  My OWS group trains at 5:50-6:50 at night.  Sometimes i get freaked if i see the sun setting, but right now, that doesn't happen til later.  So, if you can train inbetween 9 am and 7 pm you should be fine.
2008-05-13 11:30 AM

I live in Orlando, but train train at Cocoa or New Smyrna Beach. We have more shark bites than any other place in the world. None fatal so far, but three times more than any other place in the world.

1. DON'T swim by yourself. Swim in a group. Sharks don't care for company.
2. If you are bleeding or have an open wound, stay out of the water. Yes ladies, that too.
3. DON'T wear jewelry or shiny things (zippers). Sharks mistake these for fish scales.
4. If you see small schools of fish or lots of birds diving, stay out of the water. These bait fish are what sharks eat.
5. If people are fishing nearby, stay away. Again, sharks will be attacked to the bait and chum.
6. Don't swim in the dark, nor at dawn or dusk. That's when sharks feed.
7. Bright swim/wet suits are great for attracting sharks. Sharks don't see well, but do see great contrast. That bright suit may draw attention you don't want.
8. Be aware of sandbars and drops off. Again, bait fish hang out there and so do sharks.
9. Don't go too far out. Just last week a kid was bitten in 18 inches of water at NSB (http://www.local6.com/news/16187329/detail.html) . Swim in water deep enough get moving, but not so deep that help would take a while to get to you if something happened.
10. Don't splash and make lots of ruckus. Also don't allow your dogs make a ruckus. The uneven splashing may be mistaken by the shark as an animal in distress.

I have never been bitten, but I can tell you it gets your heart racing when you see them swimming by you.

Also, for those folks who'd like to swim in Florida's lakes, the same rules go for gators. Assume gators are in every body of water. They likely are.

And if you are attacked by either critter, fight back. Go for the eyes or snout. You have a fairly good chance of getting away with fighting back.

Leighsah
Floridian for many years
2008-05-13 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran

Unless you are swimming with a surf board, you'll be fine. Sharks don't go after humans unless they mistake them for their natural food. Don't buy into all the Jaws-style hype.

I have been inches (and less) away from sharks more times than I can count, unless you are going to swim in an area that has grey whites, you have nothing to worry about. 

And if you do happen to see one, watch them....they are very, very sexy. 

2008-05-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1399644

User image

Leesburg,
c'mon panout, do you really think a shark is thinking "hmm, human, not fish, guess i don't wanna bite it?"  i don't think so.  (i dive too in the bahamas with the nurse & reef sharks.)  shark wants you, shark's got you, that's about it.  just a matter of shooting the odds out there.

2008-05-13 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1399878

User image

Veteran

Irnwmn - 2008-05-13 2:46 PM c'mon panout, do you really think a shark is thinking "hmm, human, not fish, guess i don't wanna bite it?"

Yes. that's what I've been taught, and what my experiences show me to be true. No irrational fear of sharks here.

Now . . . despite the statistics on how safe flying is compared to driving, flying scares me..and every single noise on the plane makes me jumpy. I bring that up because I think we all some something that just SCARES us....(despite what we know) and for a lot of people that's open water swimming. I don't know that there's a CURE for that fear, but the more often you do it, the more comfortable you get.

2008-05-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: #1400507

User image

Leesburg,

that's funny.  last time i flew into Orlando (St. As), they turned on the heat & it smelled all stinky-hot.  of course, i'm thinking the plane's on fire & managed to make my way oh so coolly up to the restroom & asked the flight lady about it.  weird smells make me nervous, specially hot smells on planes. 

about sharks ... have you ever swum with any really big ones?  me, no, just 4 foot reef & nurse guys.  they say that guy that got bit in san diego was from a great white.  and my 2d 70.3 in cancun ... aargh.  shoulda chose kansas.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim training with sharks Rss Feed