Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Orthotics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-17 10:31 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Orthotics

Anyone out there have orthotics?  I'm in line to get some, and I'd like to be reassured that they are worth it.

Sharon

2004-02-17 11:20 PM
in reply to: #7903

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Orthotics

only orthotics for my work shoes...need arch. 

my shoe store guy told me to shy away from orthotics in my running shoes (if that is what your asking)  they should have shoes for most ranges of feet types from flat to arched...occasionaly one may need to mod them with orthotics BUT basically i got the jist of not to mess with a good pair of running shoes.

"

BT - Is it necessary for someone having foot problems to get orthotics?

Cassano - Our feelings, and the feelings of our local podiatrists, are that you do not need an orthotic if you are in appropriate footwear.  There are some rare circumstances where there is some mechanical issue that cannot be controlled by footwear, but that’s usually pretty rare.  Otherwise, orthotic wear outside of your running shoes – for every day – is appropriate. "

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Michael%20Pate/Michael%20Pate.htm

dont get me wrong....orthotics for everday life can be very necessary...i would not be walking without them.

2004-02-18 10:45 PM
in reply to: #7918

, Alabama

Actually, my problem isn't so much flat feet or high-arched feet.  I have bunions and I'm actually pushing off from the side of my great toe instead of the tip.  My podiatrist checked the wear pattern of my shoes (he's also an ironman, so I'd like to think he knows the sports issues).   Anyway, he said it won't really matter what shoe I get, I will continue to get these big honking blisters on the medial side of my foot because of the bunions and the way my stride is, but the orthotics will help straighten out my foot to keep it to a minimum (the only other alternative is bunion surgery, which ain't gonna happen any time soon).  I've never really been a fan of orthotics, but I can't keep getting this blisters every time I run more than 1/2 hour.  Keeping a positive note, when the blisters are half healed and not so puffy, the kids like to slosh the old around under the skin!  The things a mom endures for her children!

Sharon

2004-02-19 11:37 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
I've had custom orthodics for about two years now. Bought my first pair because of knee problems. I now own two pairs, because you have to refurbish them every 6 months or so and I don't want to be without them even for a week.

It may take time to get used to them, but once you do you'll never run without orthodics again!!!

Evelyn
2004-03-18 7:23 PM

, Alabama

Well, I just got my new orthotics today.  The doc said it will take a little while to get used to them and I should break them in slowly.  UGGHH!  The family and I are going away on vacation soon and that will probably be the best time to work them in, when I'm not feeling so pressured to do my workouts. 

Sharon

2004-03-18 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Remember wear them a little more each day. Do not start off by running in them.
When you can wear them all day without problems, then start using them for running.
Of course, the doctor probably told you all this. You will love them!!!!!

Evelyn

2004-03-19 7:51 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
I have had orthotics for two years now. I don't like the custom made ones because I get blisters from them. I always ask them to throw some plastic ones in on the bill and I love those. They will make a difference in your feet and in the long run I think you will learn to like them.

Mike
2004-03-19 8:10 AM
in reply to: #13222

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I have custom made ones that I haven't used yet...

I ordered Hapad's full insert and arch supports while I was waiting on my customs and the Hapads seemed to have fixed the problems(for $20).
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Orthotics Rss Feed