General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Modifed" flying bike mount? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-16 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Subject: "Modifed" flying bike mount?

At my first race for this year (last weekend) I was watching some of the elite athletes during T1, as they ran out and did a flying mount (you know the one - shoes already clipped in, crankarms horizontal, etc.).

With my new bike for this year I've considered learning to do this, but I'm still a bit nervous about jumping up and landing on the seat correctly without knocking my waterbottles off my HydroTail.  So, after some more thinking about it I came up with a "modified" mounting technique that I'd like some feedback on:

1. To set up the bike, clip both shoes in, then set the right (drive) side crank so that it's parallel to the seat tube (almost straight up).
  2. Wrap an elastic band around the end of the right crankarm near the pedal, then around the seat tube to hold it in place.
  3. Attach an elastic from the heel loop on the left shoe to the rear wheel quick release lever to hold the shoe nearly level.
  4. Attach another elastic from the heel loop on the right shoe to the right seatstay to hold the shoe nearly level.
  5. Running out of T1 with the bike on your right, place your left foot on top of the left shoe (which is down near the 6:00 position), then swing your leg over the seat and put your right foot on top of the right shoe.
  6. As you begin to pedal, all three elastics break away and your off.

Has anyone see/tried this?  Any thoughts?  I tried it a few times the other day before going out for a ride, and it seemed to work pretty well.

2008-05-16 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1407478

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: "Modifed" flying bike mount?
I dont' do a flying mount as I am extremely uncoordinated.  I probably do similar to you but my shoes are both parallel to the ground and I just put my left foot on the shoe and then swing my right leg over the top.
2008-05-16 2:22 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Just use one small rubber band on the back loop of your shoe to the quick release on the rear wheel, that 's all you need
2008-05-16 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

IMO I hesitate to suggest doing the shoes clipped in thing at all.  I have see far too many times, in all types of athletes, where mishaps cause more harm then good.  Shoes dropping, near accidents looking down trying to get shoes horizontal or reaching down to strap in, etc...  Unless your racing at a level where every second of every point in the race is worth it, I'd say, stick with what you know works....put on your shoes in T1, run and hop on the bike and crank away.  It may be an extra 2 seconds but it saves any accidents that may cost you more then seconds.

Just my 2cents 

2008-05-16 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1407564

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
mikep - 2008-05-16 2:34 PM

IMO I hesitate to suggest doing the shoes clipped in thing at all.  I have see far too many times, in all types of athletes, where mishaps cause more harm then good.  Shoes dropping, near accidents looking down trying to get shoes horizontal or reaching down to strap in, etc...  Unless your racing at a level where every second of every point in the race is worth it, I'd say, stick with what you know works....put on your shoes in T1, run and hop on the bike and crank away.  It may be an extra 2 seconds but it saves any accidents that may cost you more then seconds.

Just my 2cents 

If you practice, then this is "what you know works."

Maybe the method isn't for everyone, but it works for me and I guarantee it saves more than two seconds. But to me, the biggest benefit is that I no longer have to replace cleats every other race after they get chewed up running through transition. I haven't had to buy a set of cleats in three seasons.

2008-05-16 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

x2 w/ Bear. having shoes clipped in works much better for me. trying to run in my bike shoes creates more problems than the mount/dismount with my feet on my shoes.

back to the op, I do similar to what you described, except I start with the left crank at about 9 - 10:00 so that when I step on the shoe it gets the bike moving forward. So far, I've not used anything to hold my shoes level but that would make my mount easier. Also, I have found that by adjusting my float to be very tight (i.e no float) I have very little concern of my shoe coming out of the clip. 

2008-05-16 2:59 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I'm all for keeping shoes clipped to the bike.  But I don't think that doing a "flying mount" is all that beneficial.  The risk to benefit just isn't there.  I've seen too many people end up on their azz thinking they could save "X" seconds by running onto the bike instead of just putting one foot on the pedal and throwing the other leg over.  Not worth it to me.  Especially when the majority of people are not within those micro-seconds of winning their AG or the overall that they might save.

In a sport where there are so many places to make up or lose large amounts of time, taking the risk of learning to do something like that for a couple seconds just seems counterproductive to me.

2008-05-16 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
I race cyclocross in the fall and winter and one aspect of this type of racing is the dismount/mount sections. I've been racing cyclocross a lot longer than tri's so I brought this skill set with me when I did my first tri 2 years ago. I always run with my shoes on and then mount the bike 'on the fly'. I find it's faster for me to do it this way then it is to run in bare feet to the mount line, jump on the bike then fiddle around trying to get my size 12s into the shoes; all the while trying to build momentum by getting my cadence up to speed. Not necessarily the right way, just my way...

Check out velonews.tv and the 'how to' section for Cyclocross Clinic (part 2) for how to mount.

2008-05-16 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Kind of a hi-jack, but Look now offers a Keo Grip cleat. It has rubber pads on each end of the cleat. They supposedly reduce slippage while on concrete/asphalt. I have 'em, but have yet to try and run on them. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience w/ these new cleats in terms of their benefit while running out of T1 and if they help protect the cleat more.
2008-05-16 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
I crashed last year running with the bike shoes on because of the cleats. For that reason I'm going to try barefoot this season. Doing up the velcro on the shoes seems like cake compared to 200m run skittering along in shimano cleats.
2008-05-16 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1407597

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I mount/dismount with shoes clipped in on just about every ride. Doing so is a great way to get used to this method. I've done it so often I don't need to look at my shoes to get my feet in and shoe strap fastened. On my training rides I start with the shoes just hanging, but in races I use rubber bands to hold them parallel to the ground because that makes them far less likely to accidently come off.

I also do the flying mount and it only took me about 30 minutes of practice to get proficient at it. After I learned it I only need to do it about once every other week to keep the skill.

The problem with some people doing it is they never practice it. Then they try it at a race and fall on their azz or impede others in the mount area.

I do agree that unless a person has a reasonable chance at an age group award, they should just skip it. Saving a few seconds in order to finish 24th instead of 25th seems pointless. Better to put more effort into training the three disciplines to get faster.

2008-05-17 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1407704

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

mrussell - 2008-05-16 3:11 PM  Check out velonews.tv and the 'how to' section for Cyclocross Clinic (part 2) for how to mount.

Great video!  Last year I tried teaching myself (unsuccessfully) the "flying mount", with no clue what I was doing.  This morning I took the hints from the video and in about 5 minutes was doing it comfortably at low speed with sneakers on, and after 30 minutes I was doing it fairly comfortably at a decent speed and barefoot.

The things I learned were:

1) It's not a "flying mount" since you really shouldn't be getting any height.  It's really a "step-onto-your-bikeseat-without-losing-a-stride mount". 

2) It's easier if you practice with sneakers to get the technique down, but you obviously need to practice barefoot or with bike shoes depending on how you plan to race.  I found it harder barefoot (I didn't try bike shoes).

3) I can definitely save a few seconds (maybe 4 or 5?) in using this technique rather than the "stop-mount-go" technique I currently use.  I was outsprinted at the end of my last tri, being passed by a guy in my AG who beat me by 6 seconds.  I'll take any "free speed" in transition I can get!

I need to practice this flying mount while tired to see if I can still do it without crashing or embarrassing myself .  If I feel confident I'll try it at my race next weekend! 

FWIW, my transition times are usually among the faster in my AG.  For people newer to triathlon, I'd recommend concentrating on all other aspects of transition before worrying about gaining a few seconds at the mount line. 

Brian

2008-05-17 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1408416

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Well, considering that the mount/dismount are part of your BIKE time because of where the timing mats are, it doesn't matter how fast your transitions are.
2008-05-17 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1408427

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Daremo - 2008-05-17 9:40 AM Well, considering that the mount/dismount are part of your BIKE time because of where the timing mats are, it doesn't matter how fast your transitions are.

Not related to the flying mount, but leaving your shoes on the bike puts the task of putting on your shoes in with your bike split rather than in your T1 time. Regardless, I'd rather be putting my shoes on while I'm going over 20mph than while standing by my racked bike.

2008-05-17 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1408435

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Agree 100% with that one.  You can coast for a few seconds without losing all that much speed while putting on the shoes.  I just disagree with the need/desire to do a flying mount to get on the bike.  In a cyclocross race you almost always have two sided pedals and you are wearing your shoes during the race, you don't have to put them on/take them off each time you go over a hazard.

Edited by Daremo 2008-05-17 10:00 AM
2008-05-17 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1407765

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

cooutdoors - 2008-05-16 4:35 PM Kind of a hi-jack, but Look now offers a Keo Grip cleat. It has rubber pads on each end of the cleat. They supposedly reduce slippage while on concrete/asphalt. I have 'em, but have yet to try and run on them. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience w/ these new cleats in terms of their benefit while running out of T1 and if they help protect the cleat more.

Crank Bros Quattros have composite adapters that offer the same grip, keeping the actual metal cleat somewhat recessed, allowing you to run with confidence on grass or ashpalt. The added benefit of double-sided entry allows you to mount cyclocross style, which I'd argue is as fast as the technique of keeping the shoes clipped in.

I just see the flying mount as too much potential for permanently altering my manhood.

2008-05-17 11:37 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
I think the mount and more specifically the dismount with your shoes on the pedals are great skills to learn, however the majority of those doing so really do NOT practice this skill often and it leads to crashes more often than not. If you are going to do this on your next race please make sure to practice thoroughly before. When you jump on your bike you shouldn’t try to get your shoes on right away, 1st you need to gain some speed and get onto more open roads. Do NOT spend time looking down and swirling from side to side, you should get one shoe in, get up to speed again, coast a bit and get the other one while keeping your lane pretty straight and always look around for others riders so you don’t get in their way.

If you do the dismount make sure to take the shoes off while keeping a straight lane. Avoid looking down to the pedals for more than a second, look around for other riders so when you get to the dismount line you know your good to go.

More and more races (at least some of the big ones) are prohibiting this, hence most of last season I got my shoes on at T1, ran out, jumped on the bike and I was on my way and when coming back I did dismount leaving my shoes on the pedals...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Modifed" flying bike mount? Rss Feed