General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Something in the air- or overtraining??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-18 12:10 PM

User image

Subject: Something in the air- or overtraining???
I have been looking over some logs searching for inspiration and have found a trend. It seems as though many out there are having a week feeling less than motivated, less energy and perhaps as though they are overtraining. I have felt this way the last few days as well and I keep having to remind myself of the big picture. My goals are mainly long term and I have weeks and weeks of training ahead of me. One week taking it easy will not end my potential as a succesful triathlete. I just have to convince my psyche of this, because my mind and body are used to going hard- two workouts a day. Now my body is saying easy tiger and my psyche is having a temper tantrum- you'll lose it all!!! I know better. A week of rest can do more good than a hard week of training in the long run if your body needs it.
Anyway that is my vent, if anyone out there relates to the inner battle be easy on yourself...it is a long road, keep the big picture in mind and take time to enjoy the process.

2004-02-18 12:24 PM
in reply to: #7981

Subject: RE: Something in the air- or overtraining???

Thanks Irongirl. I'm one who has this battle all the time about everything. If I take (or have) a day off from work (like today!) rather than relax, I fret that I should be doing something -- working out, food shopping for what we don't have here, feeling guilty about not working, maybe I should do the laundry (which just got done 2 days ago) you name it. I just wish my mind would calm down!!

I notice the same trend you do -- lots of us must need a break. We, for the most part it seems, have been working out all winter and our body gets ---       fed up! Give me a break or I will break!

So now I will try to find a relaxing moment without wild "should be's" running through my head.

2004-02-18 12:31 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

When I started training, the program I was following called for a break about every 6 weeks or so - at least an easy week.  If everyone started at the beginning of January, wouldn't that time out about right?  We're six weeks or so into the year.  I don't know if there is any magic to that or not, but I used it as an excuse to take a few days off.

Back to the grind this week, though.  Feeling better for having rested.

2004-02-18 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
For me, I'm going crazy in anticipation of spring. We are forecasted to have our weekend in the fifties. Looking forward to some long rides. I agree with irongirl, just gotta stay focused on the big picture.
2004-02-18 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
In the 50's!!!! Break out the shorts and lets head to the beach.!!!!!!!!!
2004-02-18 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Supposed to be 70F today and 75F tomorrow. Wouldn't you know that I would be traveling tomorrow.

2004-02-18 5:46 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I think that you are spot on with your observation and your decision to take a break once in awhile. I try to follow my training schedule to some degree but switch days, times, and intensities to suit my needs for that day. Sometimes I am tired and do not want to train, other times I am so charged with energy that I feel I could go all day. When I am tired, I either moderately or not at all; When I feel I could pour it on until the cows come home, I have to remind myself that that there is a certain pace that I must stick to or risk injury. In this case, I adopt the 10% rule; never train at more than 10% of your usual training time, distance, or speed.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Something in the air- or overtraining??? Rss Feed