General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much can muscle gain REALLY offset weight loss Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-07 1:42 PM

Veteran
Subject: How much can muscle gain REALLY offset weight loss

I also posted this on the "Triathlon Talk" forum.  I'm just feeling really impatient and curious today.

OK. Here's my story. In 1999 I lost about 40 pounds (235 to 195). I did it by walking, and later running, regularly and watching what I ate. I stopped running after 9 months, and by 2003 I had gained most of the weight back.

In June of 2003 I started swimming. I slowly started losing weight.

Then in summer of 2004 I took up cycling. I lost more weight. I didn't diet. But I exercised more than ever in my whole life. Now I'm down to 205.

Though I've measured my progress by performance on the road and in the pool, rather than on the scale, I seem to be stuck at this weight. But when I look in the mirror, I seem less fat than I did at 195. Or so it seems.

People have told me "Oh, well you've gained muscle."

I'm reluctant to agree with them because I've always seen that as a cop-out for overweight body builders. When I was in the Air Force, and the First Sergeant would tell a guy he needed to lose weight, often the guy would start going to the gym and lifting weights, and continue to drink as much beer and eat as muchf fast food as before. At his next weigh in, his alibi for gaining weight would be "well, I've been working out. That's muscle."

My question is this: Is the whole "muscle gain offsets weight loss" a myth, or can a person actually reduce their body fat but not lose as much weight due to gaining muscle mass. In other words, If I'm swimming and / or cycling 5 to 10 hours per week over a period of a year and a half, will I have gain engough muscle mass to make the resulting weight loss less apparent?

I'm really curious about this.

2005-01-07 1:47 PM
in reply to: #100526

Subject: RE: How much can muscle gain REALLY offset weight loss
I know that muscle weighs more than fat and I've been told not to use a scale when working out because it lies. Just like you said, you look smaller but the scale says you're not. Don't believe it. Just get a mind set of what you want to look like and where you want to be and go by that. Maybe use a measuring tape.
2005-01-07 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country

In short, yup. As long as your performance is improving and your waistline is shrinking, don't put too much faith in the scale. Muscle is quite a bit more dense than fat, though I had a bit of trouble finding real numbers with a Google search. You can easily stagnate on the scale while shrinking inches all over.

This is why elite athletes can't use the regular height/weight scales. A football player might be 6'0", 250lb, and be in WAY better physical condition than I am at the same height and 190lb.

Personally, I've dropped two pants sizes while losing only 10 lbs. But my Tanita scale says my BF% has dropped from 27% down to about 22-23% over the same time frame.
2005-01-07 3:10 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
My body fat has decreased from ~26% to ~21% since March but I have lost no weight.  I'm also about 1 size smaller.  So, yes, muscle gain does prevent weight loss
2005-01-07 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I've found that using a measuring tape is a lot more accurate for me anyway. Plus getting on the scale and not seeing it budge one whit is really a bummer, even though I KNOW that I've gained muscle I still want to see that number get smaller! I've taken to measuring my waist and lower abs/hips and that number is shrinking a bit, thankfully! Been meaning to get my bodyfat % measured, just haven't gotten around to it yet.....
2005-01-10 3:29 PM

Calgary, Alberta
Last summer, I went from 28% bf to 19% bf. The scale showed only a 9 pound loss, but my body composition assesment showed a 15 pound fat loss and a 6 pound muscle gain.

If you are stuck with weight loss right now, I would have a body comp assessment done now, and one again in 6 months or so. The results will tell you whether you have gained muscle or not.

2005-01-11 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
Without a doubt you gained muscle. To get down to my college weight (of 175) from my current weight of 250 I would have to lose not only 40 lbs of fat (roughly 16% body fat currenly) but another 35 lbs of muscle. Measuring tape (and the way your clothes fit) is the best way to keep an eye on those gains. Unless you're a wrestler or boxer, then you have to stick with the scale.

bts
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much can muscle gain REALLY offset weight loss Rss Feed