General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » OK, here goes ... I'm going to do this Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-22 2:06 PM

Oldsmar, FL
Subject: OK, here goes ... I'm going to do this

been checking out this site for a few days and really getting pumped up with some of the stories of true perseverance!

I'll be 39 later this year and want to get a jump on doing one of these BEFORE I turn 40! LOL --- I recently started a "Couch to 5K" program [ http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/conservative_program.htm] ... found the 1st month entirely too easy and I'm progressing through it pretty well so far and have have my eyes set on running a local 5k race on Thanksgiving. I'm going the "conservative" program route because I'm over weight and don't want to stress my body out too bad and injure myself.

Wanted to make sure that I've got the 5K running base in place before I start getting too crazy with the swim AND bike routines. I have pieced together a newbie training routine that includes the bike during the first couple months [while I also do my couch to 5k run program on alternating days] before it introduces some gradual swimming in the 3rd month. I live in the Tampa Bay area so I don't really have an excuse about the weather [I just don't plan to train in the middle of the afternoon in the FL heat!!!]. I also still plan to devote 2-3 days per week to doing resistance training.

as for my weight, I currently tip the scales at 272 lbs and I'm 6' tall  .... want to eventually get down around 200 lbs and I think it's reasonable to beleive I can be there by next summer. I can carry that amount of weight well because I've got a bigger frame from lifting weights for many years now but I'll let my body ultimately decide where I end up. Will admit that I LOVE my beer ... especially during football season but have gotten much better at cutting back on those relishing them --- won't give them up cold turkey Tongue out One of the reasons I am going to do this type of training is for self accomplishment with a healthy side-effect of getting my body back moving and LEAN again!

I've got my mind set on doing my first Sprint Tri in early Spring of '09 ... should give me plenty of time but I am starting to put my plan into action now to get the 5K base & race done and then go hard core after my first tri.

If I am putting together a potential race schedule for '09, how many sprint tri's should I schedule in my first year and how many weeks apart should they be? Would it be OK to shoot for a race in April then one in June and another in Sept? Was curious as to how some of you scheduled those at first.

Thanks again for any & all input .... I guess my next step is to start tracking my workouts and staying active on boards like this to keep myself accountable!

2008-05-22 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1419683

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: OK, here goes ... I'm going to do this
Beers are one of the finest triathlon recovery beverages ever invented....in moderation, of course. Your plan of races seems ok if you can stay focused in between.

Set the progression nice and slow to build up to that first 5K.....then aim for a 10K......it's ok if your plan is to just finish! That's cool....but train yourself to the point that you can "run" the whole distance......slow and smooth will be easier on your joints and will require building a bigger aerobic base, which if you are using running/tris to help drop pounds is the key!

Go for it.....even better yet, pick a race, circle it on next years calendar and start building!

A local "tri-folk hero" here in St. Louis has said often....the greatest journeys start with the smallest steps!

Paul
2008-05-23 4:35 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island NY
Go for it
2008-05-23 5:29 AM

User image

Veteran

I've got my mind set on doing my first Sprint Tri in early Spring of '09 ... should give me plenty of time but I am starting to put my plan into action now to get the 5K base & race done and then go hard core after my first tri.

The 2 most important words in this sentence are "mind" and "set." Mindset is exactly what you need to succeed. It will keep you on track and on schedule when you don't feel as motivated. Good Luck. C2K is a great start.

-Chris

2008-05-23 8:53 AM

Oldsmar, FL

THANKS for the words of encouragement .... with regards to an event schedule, how many Sprint Tri's would you folks suggest someone attempt in their first full season?

there's a race called Escape From Ft. De Soto Triathlon and they already have next year's event scheduled for April 11, 2009

it is a .5 mile swim, 10 mile bike and a 4 mile run .... wonder if I shouldn't do a shorter variety to "pop my cherry" first?

I found one that ran the first week in Feb that has the following format: Heated Pool Swim 400 meters, Bike 12 miles, Run 2.0 miles    --- the description caught my eye: This event is first and foremost FUN for everyone. It’s a very unique set up and is designed for you to finish your first triathlon!! Cool

it's also a couple months before the more challenging Sprint Tri ... still not sure if I should attempt an open water swim of a 1/2 mile in my 2nd Tri?

ohh well ... plenty of time between now and then [or so I think NOW ... LOL]

Edited by surgeandsettle 2008-05-23 8:53 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » OK, here goes ... I'm going to do this Rss Feed