General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-bike and commuting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-25 7:34 PM

New user

Subject: Tri-bike and commuting

Does anyone commute to work using a tri bike?  Or tried to?  Has anyone installed a trail/pannier rack on the back of their tri bike?

I currently use my trek hybrid bike for commuting with a rack attached for a pannier bag.  I usually get my bike workouts in commuting to and from work.  I'll go out a few miles out of my way to get in a good workout.  I put about 15-30 miles on it a day.  The street conditions are ok- not too many sharp hills.  It's southern CA so there is no ice and not too much rain.  I definitely need to use a pannier- my shoulders can't handle a messenger or back pack.  

I just don't want to invest a good deal of money in a bike I can't use a lot- only for triathlons and weekend rides (which I rarely do since i get my workout during the week).  

Has anyone installed a pannier/trail rack on their tri bike?  Or have any suggestions?  I'm not sure if I should just go with a happy-medium and just get a race bike.  Thanks for your time! 

2008-05-25 10:12 PM
in reply to: #1423929

Subject: RE: Tri-bike and commuting
I have used my TRI Bike on my 30 mile round trip commute a few times just for a change of pace. I normally use a cross bike (Surly Cross Check) for my commuting and have a small bag that sets on a rack to carry dirty clothes home. I usually commute 4 days a week and drive my car one day to bring work clothes, and take home dirty stuff. I use my TRI bike a couple of times a week when the weather is nice. When I use it, I don't carry anything with me. I leave everything at work and carry it home some other time on my other bike or in the car. I take enough bike clothes as well as other stuff to work so I can skip a day or two of carrying stuff.

My TRI bike and all the ones I have seen are not designed to have anything attached to the seat post or anywhere else. I woold plan on using your current bike for most of your commuting, just carry enough extra when you do so you can use a TRI bike witout carrying anything.
2008-05-25 11:27 PM

New user

Thank you for your advice- it helps a lot!
2008-05-26 6:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yes, I use my Cervelo P2K to commute back and forth to work. I dont attach a bag or rack, but instead use a small back pack. Only enough room for essentials. I must say that I am fortunate because I'm a fireman and we have washer/dryer so I need to carry clothes back and forth.

On days that I dont ride my bike, I replenish my food, exchange needed clothes (dry cleaning, etc).

If there's a will, there's a way..
2008-06-03 8:24 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-bike and commuting Rss Feed