General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre/Post Workout Food - separate from planned meals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-29 9:24 AM

Extreme Veteran
WI
Subject: Pre/Post Workout Food - separate from planned meals?

I am hoping I can gain some insight from someone on this, so thanks in advance!  I've always wondered whether a pre or post-workout snack is part of the training program's diet one follows.  I know you need the proper fuel for a workout and recovery, but those pre/post snacks are not included in the meals and snacks samples provided in the program.

So, if I am following a 3,000 calorie meal plan (for a sprint tri) and those 3k calories are based on  breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, large dinner, "dessert," are the snacks/meals supposed to be the pre/post workout foods or do I add those workout snacks on top of the 3,000 I'm taking in?

So far I am adding the additional workout snacks and seem to be okay - other than not losing the 2-4lbs I'd like to.

2008-05-29 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1430544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Subject: RE: Pre/Post Workout Food - separate from planned meals?
It all counts. If you are burning 3,000cals/day and consuming 3000cals/day, you're probably not going to shed pounds quickly. (I'm not a firm believer in cals out/cals in equals weight, I think there is more to it as in the types of food one is eating.)

So, if you are "supposed" to take in 3000 cals, the cals you consume before, during, and after your training should count toward your daily total.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre/Post Workout Food - separate from planned meals? Rss Feed