Other Resources My Cup of Joe » LOST Season Finale!!! (with spoilers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-05-29 10:04 PM
in reply to: #1431801

Subject: RE: LOST Season Finale!!! (with spoilers)

OOOOOMMMGGG!!!!

BEST. SHOW. EVER.

Alert, SPOILERS ahead, if you haven't watched yet.

Jin can't be dead - he just can't be. There would otherwise be no reason for Sun to go back. Though he might be - Michael is probably toast. I didn't like Michael, though

HOORAY for Penny and Desmond! I hope this means we'll see more of him. Maybe he and Penny can battle her evil father together.  

What were the "bad things" that happened on the island after the 6 left? And HOW did Locke end up back on the main land???

Was Charlotte one of the Dharma initiative babies - who survived?? And please tell me we'll find out at some point who the hell that Richard dude is, how old he is, what his deal is. Same with Jacob. Who/What is Jacob???

And did anyone else think the little frozen lair where Ben turned the big magic wheel to make the island disappear was a bit cheesy? And who put that there in the first place?

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-05-29 10:08 PM

2008-05-29 10:42 PM

User image

Master
for a minute, i thought i might've called it with sawyer dying. they were just trying to find a way to get him coming out of the water with his shirt off.
locke in the coffin...didn't see that one coming. thought for sure it was ben. glad it wasn't though. another great episode for him.
i'm guessing locke gets off the island the same way richard and mr.friendly and others have. maybe we'll eventually find out what that is.
if sun blames jack for jin being dead/left behind, it'll be interesting to see how her thing with widmore plays out.

the big question...where did the island go?

and the waiting begins.
2008-05-29 10:48 PM
in reply to: #1432504

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL

jimbo - 2008-05-29 10:42 PM for a minute, i thought i might've called it with sawyer dying. they were just trying to find a way to get him coming out of the water with his shirt off.

yeah baby.  I admit, I did not like him at all until I watched the show.. but his personality helps make him. Did you ever see the DVD clips of him?.. how he came up with all the nicknames for the peeps on the show by himself... freckles, cupcake, etc.  He's awesome, as well as hot.. but he's married... oh well, one can dream Yell

2008-05-29 11:14 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

nope did not see Locke coming! wow.

as to cheesy frozen wheel, with the weird lettering...I thought 'aliens'..... 

2008-05-30 6:35 AM

jimbo - 2008-05-29 11:42 PM for a minute, i thought i might've called it with sawyer dying. they were just trying to find a way to get him coming out of the water with his shirt off. locke in the coffin...didn't see that one coming. thought for sure it was ben. glad it wasn't though. another great episode for him. i'm guessing locke gets off the island the same way richard and mr.friendly and others have.

In the coffin, I started to think either Ben OR somehow, Christian. And when Ben showed up in the scene, I thought Christian again. Cuz that would be a CRAZY twist. But Locke in the coffin was good too - and how they're going to have to bring his body back to the island with them!

2008-05-30 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenbelt, MD

Great episode...

My little dumb questions (since there's so many big things to obsess over I'm gonna nitpick)...why did Claire have an American accent in Kate's vision/dream?  It oddly freaked me out for some reason (as if this show doesn't do that on a regular basis).

I kind of figured it was Locke in the coffin once we knew he was joining the Others.  Since we knew "Jeremy" was trying to get them all to go back to the island and Locke was always preaching about how the island was the shiznit, it just made sense.

I can't wait to find out what happens on the island after the Six left.  There are still some cool people there...Juliette, Sawyer, the older couple whose names I can't remember because I've got early onset Alzheimers...

And neat that Charlotte might have been born on the island.  That opens another interesting can of worms...and how did the Ghost Whisperer guy know that? 

And from the last week's episode that was replayed all Pop Up Video style....I wonder why Boone, Libby, and Charlie were the 3 that supposedly survived but didn't make it off the island...and why did they even include that in their cover story....they could have just as easily said the 5 of them were the only ones to make it to shore...hmmmm....

Dang how I love this show!

2008-05-30 7:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-30 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1432665

AmbulanceDriver - 2008-05-30 8:25 AM

And from the last week's episode that was replayed all Pop Up Video style....I wonder why Boone, Libby, and Charlie were the 3 that supposedly survived but didn't make it off the island...and why did they even include that in their cover story....they could have just as easily said the 5 of them were the only ones to make it to shore...hmmmm....

Dang how I love this show!

Well, it's a more credible story to say "oh, there were others but they died" - a more realistic scenario, I guess. Kind of a coincidence that ONLY those 5 survived the crash and ONLY those five stayed on the island.

Though I'm not sure why those three were chosen. We know Charlie's been seen by Hugo and he's alive, but not. Libby was in the loony bin with Hugo back in the day. But Boone had no real connection to anyone off the island and he wasn't a big character - neither was Libby, but the whole "she was in the psych ward with Hugo" is interesting.

And to Claire's accent - I noticed that too, the second time she said "don't you dare" (take Aaron off the island). Probably just the way it came out - I don't think it means anything. Is the actress who plays her actually from Australia? Cuz if not, it was probably just a slip on her part.  

2008-05-30 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1432697

2008-05-30 8:30 AM
in reply to: #1432731

surfwallace - 2008-05-30 9:15 AM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-30 7:49 AM Though I'm not sure why those three were chosen. We know Charlie's been seen by Hugo and he's alive, but not. Libby was in the loony bin with Hugo back in the day. But Boone had no real connection to anyone off the island and he wasn't a big character - neither was Libby, but the whole "she was in the psych ward with Hugo" is interesting
Why not put Ecko in there rather than Boone if we are talking about people dead or alive in the loony bin? He apparently sucks at chess to lose to Hurley.

Yeah, that was nuts. Is Ecko really there? And only Hurley can see him? Kind of like Charlie? 

Libby was actually at the psych ward - before the crash, alive. Hurley knew he recognized her from somewhere, but didn't know where.

2008-05-30 8:34 AM

Master
Winder, GA

Oh, man was that episode intense or what?!? There were some answers given but so many more that were unanswered!

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I know now that the name of the character John Locke and his psuedo-name 'Jeremy Bentham' are not coincidence.

WARNING: possible meaningless philosophy ahead.....

We have a book with an essay by the 17th century philosopher, John Locke, called "An Essay concerning Human Understanding." I've tried to slog through it on more than one occasion but it's wordy philosophy that is definitely a challenge to understand. Locke was an Empiricist and an influence on philosophers in the 18th century such as Kant, Voltaire and even Jeremy Bentham. From Wikipedia: "Locke's theory of mind is often cited as the origin for modern conceptions of identity and "the self", figuring prominently in the later works of philosophers such as David Hume, Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Immanuel Kant. Locke was the first philosopher to define the self through a continuity of "consciousness." He also postulated that the mind was a "blank slate" or "tabula rasa"; that is, contrary to Cartesian or Christian philosophy, Locke maintained that people are born without innate ideas." Thinking about John when he arrives on the island, he is given a blank slate in that he is able to walk and "start over" with his new life on the island.

The fact that John took the name "Jeremy Bentham" as his fake name is interesting as well. From The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophers: "Bentham is primarily known today for his moral philosophy, especially his principle of utilitarianism which evaluates actions based upon their consequences, in particular the overall happiness created for everyone affected by the action. He maintained that putting this principle into consistent practice would provide justification for social, political, and legal institutions." This would totally make sense as John tries to make decisions based on the "greater good" of the island and the people on it.

Ok, I realize now that most of you have probably already read this stuff because I found it on Lostpedia but I had not researched it further until this morning. Sorry if it's repeated.

Edited by autigers_1998 2008-05-30 8:45 AM

2008-05-30 8:36 AM
in reply to: #1432613

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-30 6:35 AM

jimbo - 2008-05-29 11:42 PM for a minute, i thought i might've called it with sawyer dying. they were just trying to find a way to get him coming out of the water with his shirt off. locke in the coffin...didn't see that one coming. thought for sure it was ben. glad it wasn't though. another great episode for him. i'm guessing locke gets off the island the same way richard and mr.friendly and others have.

In the coffin, I started to think either Ben OR somehow, Christian. And when Ben showed up in the scene, I thought Christian again. Cuz that would be a CRAZY twist. But Locke in the coffin was good too - and how they're going to have to bring his body back to the island with them!

LOST- Season Five: Weekend at Bernie's

2008-05-30 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1431876

Elite
the desert
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-29 2:04 PM
SuzanneS - 2008-05-29 5:00 PM

According to TV guide 3 original cast members bite the dust in the finale.

I'm guessing we learn Michael is in the coffin and Jin and Desmond die on the ship.

I'm not convinced that Jin is dead (which means Desmond might not be). At his "grave", Sun says "I miss you", but no mention of his actual death is made. She also buys shares in her father's company, giving her enough money and power to try and find the island - if Jin is still there, she has a motive.

Plus, I heart Desmond, so he can't die He needs to reunite with Penny at the end - SOMEONE needs to be happy at the end of this.

Good call on the Desmond/Penny happey ending. Good to see the writers actually closing the books on something.

I still want to know where all the kids are...

The transformation of Sawyer and Jack continues. Jack is desperate and Sawyer is the good guy. Who would've thought that the guy horing supplies and stealing food,etc. during seasons 1 & 2, would jump out of a helicopter to save others?  What is the promise the Kate made to him.

I think Jin could be alive and Sun must believe it too if she's willing to go to Widmore.

Have the Others been watching everything transpire the whole time?

2008-05-30 8:45 AM

Elite
the desert

Any speculation on the other 2 alternate endings?  I got my DVR set this morning. My guess is that Desmond dies in one.

2008-05-30 8:46 AM
in reply to: #1432777

autigers_1998 - 2008-05-30 9:34 AM

Oh, man was that episode intense or what?!? There were some answers given but so many more that were unanswered!

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I know now that the name of the character John Locke and his psuedo-name 'Jeremy Bentham' are not coincidence.

WARNING: possible meaningless philosophy ahead.....

We have a book with an essay by the 17th century philosopher, John Locke, called "An Essay concerning Human Understanding." I've tried to slog through it on more than one occasion but it's wordy philosophy that is definitely a challenge to understand. Locke was an Empiricist and an influence on philosophers in the 18th century such as Kant, Voltaire and even Jeremy Bentham. From Wikipedia: "Locke's theory of mind is often cited as the origin for modern conceptions of identity and "the self", figuring prominently in the later works of philosophers such as David Hume, Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Immanuel Kant. Locke was the first philosopher to define the self through a continuity of "consciousness." He also postulated that the mind was a "blank slate" or "tabula rasa"; that is, contrary to Cartesian or Christian philosophy, Locke maintained that people are born without innate ideas." Thinking about John when he arrives on the island, he is given a blank slate in that he is able to walk and "start over" with his new life on the island.

The fact that John took the name "Jeremy Bentham" as his fake name is interesting as well. From The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophers: "Bentham is primarily known today for his moral philosophy, especially his principle of utilitarianism which evaluates actions based upon their consequences, in particular the overall happiness created for everyone affected by the action. He maintained that putting this principle into consistent practice would provide justification for social, political, and legal institutions." This would totally make sense as John tries to make decisions based on the "greater good" of the island and the people on it.

Ok, I realize now that most of you have probably already read this stuff because I found it on Lostpedia but I had not researched it further until this morning. Sorry if it's repeated.

Thanks for the info - I figured there was a reason behind his pseudonym, but hadn't gotten a chance to look it up!

2008-05-30 8:46 AM
in reply to: #1432784

the bear - 2008-05-30 9:36 AM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-30 6:35 AM

LOST- Season Five: Weekend at Bernie's

$10 says Sawyer, whom they find when they go back to the island, makes exactly that joke...

2008-05-30 8:47 AM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
jimbo - 2008-05-29 10:42 PM

for a minute, i thought i might've called it with sawyer dying. they were just trying to find a way to get him coming out of the water with his shirt off.
locke in the coffin...didn't see that one coming. thought for sure it was ben. glad it wasn't though. another great episode for him.
i'm guessing locke gets off the island the same way richard and mr.friendly and others have. maybe we'll eventually find out what that is.
if sun blames jack for jin being dead/left behind, it'll be interesting to see how her thing with widmore plays out.

the big question...where did the island go?

and the waiting begins.

When Sawyer landed in the water, the triathlete in me goes "that's not too far to swim, the water's calm, he's close to shore, he can make it". So, I yelled at the TV, "take your shirt off and swim!". My hubbie thought I was nuts, but when he got back to the island with no shirt on I was glad he listened to me

I'm sure Locke left the island the way all the Others seem to be able to. But, I think because he left to get the 6 back, they now have to bring him back with them to find the island again. Totally floored me though when it was him the coffin. I thought it was him last season, but nixed that theory once we found out the Oceanic 6, then I was at a loss for who would be in the coffin. Although I did know it was Claire who broke into Kate's house. Didn't catch it was a dream though.

As for the person saying they closed the Penny/Desmond story, I think that one is just beginning. I have a feeling that is the most integral story to this whole show. Sayid is going to have to kill Penny. Can he do it knowing it's Desmond's girl? Will he turn on Ben? I think Penny has more to do with this then anyone else.

Love this show! And I'm so glad Sawyer's awesome swimming skills saved him. I don't normally cry at all, nevermind during tv, but when he kissed Kate it was all I could do not to downright bawl!
2008-05-30 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1432789

triguyfitz - 2008-05-30 9:37 AM   What is the promise the Kate made to him.

Something to do with his daughter, who he has by that girl he used to con with, I think.

in reply to: #1432517

Expert
Weymouth, MA
TriToy - 2008-05-30 12:14 AM

nope did not see Locke coming! wow.

as to cheesy frozen wheel, with the weird lettering...I thought 'aliens'.....

I thought it was a Narnia thang.  And where the polar bears came from.  I wish Hurley didn't lie to Walt about Michael being alive, or did he?

I think Penny and Desmond are in for a long haul to get away from Widmore.  Their story line should be very interesting.

Jack is such a loser. 

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

The ONLY part of this show I EVER saw was last night while flipping channels and the small group is coming ashore in the raft.

I must say for being LOST for so long the one guy did an amazing job of keeping up the personal grooming.

2008-05-30 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1432817

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
tupuppy - 2008-05-30 8:48 AM

The ONLY part of this show I EVER saw was last night while flipping channels and the small group is coming ashore in the raft.

I must say for being LOST for so long the one guy did an amazing job of keeping up the personal grooming.

Prior to that "coming ashore" they spent several days on Penny's boat. Plenty of time for said "personal grooming."

Now you may go back to the TAN where commenting on things you know nothing about is the standard.

Cool

2008-05-30 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1432814

2008-05-30 9:03 AM
in reply to: #1432814

erin116 - 2008-05-30 9:47 AM . As for the person saying they closed the Penny/Desmond story, I think that one is just beginning. I have a feeling that is the most integral story to this whole show. Sayid is going to have to kill Penny. Can he do it knowing it's Desmond's girl? Will he turn on Ben? I think Penny has more to do with this then anyone else.

Yeah, I agree - I know that Ben is going to try to kill Penny, and seeing as how he has hired Sayid as his hitman (now we know it's in order to get the 6 back to the island), Sayid is going to have to do it. But he's buddies with Desmond. So will Sayid's heartless side get the better of him, or will he be the good guy he actually is and spare her? I love the whole Desmond/Penny story, so they need to be safe at the end

2008-05-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1432866

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Why does penny need to be killed?  To get Des back to the island?  Why couldn't she just come with him?
2008-05-30 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1432913

Master
rcberto - 2008-05-30 10:16 AM

Why does penny need to be killed? To get Des back to the island? Why couldn't she just come with him?

widmore is responsible for ben's daughter being killed. ben promised widmore he'd do the same to him.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » LOST Season Finale!!! (with spoilers) Rss Feed  

of 4