Other Resources My Cup of Joe » LOST Season Finale!!! (with spoilers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-05-30 4:43 PM
in reply to: #1432697

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: LOST Season Finale!!! (with spoilers)
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-30 5:49 AM

And to Claire's accent - I noticed that too, the second time she said "don't you dare" (take Aaron off the island). Probably just the way it came out - I don't think it means anything. Is the actress who plays her actually from Australia? Cuz if not, it was probably just a slip on her part.  

She is from Australia (and oddly enough, both my wife and I have worked with her on different projects: my wife on the movie BRICK, me on the show ROSWELL)

2008-05-30 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1432777

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
autigers_1998 - 2008-05-30 6:34 AM

Oh, man was that episode intense or what?!? There were some answers given but so many more that were unanswered!

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I know now that the name of the character John Locke and his psuedo-name 'Jeremy Bentham' are not coincidence.

WARNING: possible meaningless philosophy ahead.....

We have a book with an essay by the 17th century philosopher, John Locke, called "An Essay concerning Human Understanding." I've tried to slog through it on more than one occasion but it's wordy philosophy that is definitely a challenge to understand. Locke was an Empiricist and an influence on philosophers in the 18th century such as Kant, Voltaire and even Jeremy Bentham. From Wikipedia: "Locke's theory of mind is often cited as the origin for modern conceptions of identity and "the self", figuring prominently in the later works of philosophers such as David Hume, Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Immanuel Kant. Locke was the first philosopher to define the self through a continuity of "consciousness." He also postulated that the mind was a "blank slate" or "tabula rasa"; that is, contrary to Cartesian or Christian philosophy, Locke maintained that people are born without innate ideas." Thinking about John when he arrives on the island, he is given a blank slate in that he is able to walk and "start over" with his new life on the island.

The fact that John took the name "Jeremy Bentham" as his fake name is interesting as well. From The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophers: "Bentham is primarily known today for his moral philosophy, especially his principle of utilitarianism which evaluates actions based upon their consequences, in particular the overall happiness created for everyone affected by the action. He maintained that putting this principle into consistent practice would provide justification for social, political, and legal institutions." This would totally make sense as John tries to make decisions based on the "greater good" of the island and the people on it.

Ok, I realize now that most of you have probably already read this stuff because I found it on Lostpedia but I had not researched it further until this morning. Sorry if it's repeated.

Damn you for beating me to this here. I was all Mr. Smarty-Pants former philosophy major during the show last night pointing this out to my wife...
2008-05-30 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1434370

tcovert - 2008-05-30 5:43 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-30 5:49 AM

And to Claire's accent - I noticed that too, the second time she said "don't you dare" (take Aaron off the island). Probably just the way it came out - I don't think it means anything. Is the actress who plays her actually from Australia? Cuz if not, it was probably just a slip on her part.  

She is from Australia (and oddly enough, both my wife and I have worked with her on different projects: my wife on the movie BRICK, me on the show ROSWELL)

Interesting. Well, regardless, I still don't think it was intentional. Even non-American folks with accents, if they spend enough time living/working in the US end up modifying some of their speech slightly, just from being around it. Kind of like how living in a certain part of the country different from your own, you pick up regionalisms. A lot of people think I'm from Boston - I did live there for 5 years, so I'm sure I picked up some dialectic changes.

2008-06-04 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1431801

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Here are some interesting theories that my husband and his co-workers came up with.   Thought I would share...

1)      The island has gone forward in time, not back.

In order for the island to disappear, it would have to have gone forward in time. If it went back it would still be visible to people in the present. To go invisible it needs to go forward in time so you wouldn’t see it until you caught up with it in time (just like the bunny mentioned in the experiment). This means that for example if it went forward 30 days – to Sawyer and Juliet on the beach, no time has passed at all – They are still happily drinking the same bottle of rum. But to Faraday out on the raft they’ve been adrift for 30 days and are starving to death, if not dead. It may also indicate the island has been moved forward to the same timeline as the current flashforwards (bearded breakdown jack etc). This may be now available to “go back” – because it’s caught up in time and is now present again.

2)      The black rock is stranded bang In the middle of the island because of a time shift/relocation.

If you believe the island moves only in time, not space. Then the black rock would have been at the co-ordinates of the island during a “shift” – it was unfortunate enough to be at those co-ordinates when the island re-appeared – thus stranding it in the middle of the island. Perhaps not unfortunate because maybe according to the logs, they were actually looking for it anyway. Same thing would happen to Faradays raft if he paddled to the islands location and waited long enough.

3)      The polar bears were trained to move the wheel. (seriously)

So we know the location where you turn the wheel is really cold. We know whoever does it can not come back. We know polar bears for some reason were being kept on the island. We know ben “jumped” to the sahara desert after turning the wheel. We know a polar bear skeleton with a dharma collar was found in the desert. What does all this mean? Simple… dharma trained Polar bears to turn the wheel on demand. This prevented humans having to do it. Bad news for the polar bears as they got shot off to the desert after doing it and needed replacing. But it kept Richard young.

2008-06-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1444304

Fechter99 - 2008-06-04 11:22 AM

Here are some interesting theories that my husband and his co-workers came up with.   Thought I would share...

1)      The island has gone forward in time, not back.

In order for the island to disappear, it would have to have gone forward in time. If it went back it would still be visible to people in the present. To go invisible it needs to go forward in time so you wouldn’t see it until you caught up with it in time (just like the bunny mentioned in the experiment). This means that for example if it went forward 30 days – to Sawyer and Juliet on the beach, no time has passed at all – They are still happily drinking the same bottle of rum. But to Faraday out on the raft they’ve been adrift for 30 days and are starving to death, if not dead. It may also indicate the island has been moved forward to the same timeline as the current flashforwards (bearded breakdown jack etc). This may be now available to “go back” – because it’s caught up in time and is now present again.

2)      The black rock is stranded bang In the middle of the island because of a time shift/relocation.

If you believe the island moves only in time, not space. Then the black rock would have been at the co-ordinates of the island during a “shift” – it was unfortunate enough to be at those co-ordinates when the island re-appeared – thus stranding it in the middle of the island. Perhaps not unfortunate because maybe according to the logs, they were actually looking for it anyway. Same thing would happen to Faradays raft if he paddled to the islands location and waited long enough.

3)      The polar bears were trained to move the wheel. (seriously)

So we know the location where you turn the wheel is really cold. We know whoever does it can not come back. We know polar bears for some reason were being kept on the island. We know ben “jumped” to the sahara desert after turning the wheel. We know a polar bear skeleton with a dharma collar was found in the desert. What does all this mean? Simple… dharma trained Polar bears to turn the wheel on demand. This prevented humans having to do it. Bad news for the polar bears as they got shot off to the desert after doing it and needed replacing. But it kept Richard young.

Dude...those are some good theories! I especially like the one about the polar bear! It makes the most sense, for sure! And that would explain why that room was cold and how Ben ended up in the desert after he turned the wheel.

2008-06-04 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1444313

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
wurkit_gurl - 2008-06-04 10:24 AM
p>

Dude...those are some good theories! I especially like the one about the polar bear! It makes the most sense, for sure! And that would explain why that room was cold and how Ben ended up in the desert after he turned the wheel.

I love these, and like wurkit_gurl I really like the one about the polar bears, it would explain a lot. I've been spinning my wheels trying to figure out why that polar bear was in the desert. Knew it had something to do with the island but couldn't figure out why it would have made it to the desert.

2008-06-04 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Those ARE great theories.  I've heard the one about the island moving forward in time.  When Ben appears in the desert in Tunisia he is 10 months in the future so the theory was that the island will reappear at that date as well.  Faraday might be floating around for a while...  That polar bear idea is great though, especially since Charlotte was excavating polar bear bones in the desert - I think Tunisia as well.
2008-06-04 12:43 PM

User image

Regular
I like how Jack told Desmond "See you in another life" before leaving just like Desmond said to Jack when they were running stairs in season one.
2008-06-04 2:01 PM

User image

Master
great theories on the black rock and the polar bears in tunisia. i can't remember if it was a podcast or a recap, but i think someone suggested that the island and tunisia are on polar opposite sides of the earth, thus making it a "journey to the center of the earth" for whoever moves the island.
2008-06-04 2:04 PM

User image

Hmmmm, not sure if I like the theories (I kinda do) or whether they are harbingers of jumping a big huge great white shark next season.......
2008-06-04 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1445155

User image

Master
ChrisM - 2008-06-04 3:04 PM

Hmmmm, not sure if I like the theories (I kinda do) or whether they are harbingers of jumping a big huge great white shark next season.......

blasphemer!!!

2008-06-05 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

If you've a little bit of time, try to wrap you head around this.....

http://mirrormattermoon.blogspot.com/

-Mindy

2008-06-05 7:20 AM
in reply to: #1446583

autigers_1998 - 2008-06-05 8:16 AM

If you've a little bit of time, try to wrap you head around this.....

http://mirrormattermoon.blogspot.com/

-Mindy

I just skimmed it, but wow, that's nuts. The reference to the equinox is interesting - the plane crashed on Sept. 22, 2004...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » LOST Season Finale!!! (with spoilers) Rss Feed  

of 4