General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaching Problem-Am I asking too much? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-06-05 11:43 PM
in reply to: #1440776

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Coaching Problem-Am I asking too much?
Well, thanks to the great recommendations I've received from all of you, I've been able to narrow it down to a short list of coaches, all of whom I'm excited about.

The next big hurdle will be having to choose, but that's a great problem to have!

One thing that I've definitely learned in this process and would pass on to anybody with coaching questions, is that there is never any reason to settle for a coach that isn't meeting his end of the bargain. There are plenty of coaches out there who are both qualified and motivated.

2008-06-06 7:05 AM
in reply to: #1448956

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Pollywog - 2008-06-05 10:48 PM Jorge, I did not mean that because your injured that it means you know less than another coach. I've always liked your straight forward answers to BT members questions as well as your well researched answers to BT'ers questions. Injuries can happen to anyone no matter how careful a person is. Maybe my 1st post was OK but I wanted to clarify since it is hard to get a person's point across over the internet. I was just trying to give OrbeaMan some ideas where to start his search for a new coach.
no worries, as long as I am the one with injuries and not my athletes it is ok

But now that you mentioned it, I know more than a few very very good coaches who provide great advice to their athletes and it show on their racing results, yet they have a hard time following some of their advice and are a bit more aggressive with their own training. I guess if we don't listen to ourselves only us suffer the consequences, but with a client is very different!  This year however is been different, it just seems I have structural issues (super flat feet, weird left leg stride, etc) and sooner or later it was going to represent an issue due to the load of training. But it seems I finally identified the cause and once I am back to normal training I am optimistic I can take the necessary steps to correct it.
2008-06-09 1:04 PM

Veteran
Hi Andrew,

thank you for giving me a link to this thread.

I am having problems with my online coach as well. The thing is: I paid a fortune to join and signed a 3 months contract so i am stuck with this coach for sometime.

2008-06-09 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Sorry I'm not trying to hijack the thread...but is there a big cost/quality difference between online versus personal coaching. I'm not implying one on one but someone that lives nearby, and is able to see what you need to do better rather than just e-mail. It seems that online coaching would be limited.
2008-06-09 4:40 PM

User image

Tyler,
not if the coach is "coaching" you "late" as you say and does not offer quick response with backed up scientific research to why you are doing this and that.
2008-06-09 11:52 PM
in reply to: #1454619

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

trey800hj - 2008-06-09 10:48 PM Sorry I'm not trying to hijack the thread...but is there a big cost/quality difference between online versus personal coaching. I'm not implying one on one but someone that lives nearby, and is able to see what you need to do better rather than just e-mail. It seems that online coaching would be limited.

I think naturally there will be a difference between having a coach you see regularly vs a coach that you never get to do a face to face with.  However, I don't know that any of these coaching services really differentiate between the two.  Just because I'm hiring a coach from a distance, doesn't mean that relationship is limited.  You should still get the same effort, coaching plans, expertise and communication.

2008-06-10 1:52 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

AndrewMT - 2008-06-03 6:24 AM My wife and I are signing up for IMCdA 09 this month. We're planning out in advance, and decided the best way to maximize our experience was to hire a coach. Two months ago, we hired a coach through a very reputable organization. In the past two months, we've had continuous problems. Communication is intermittant at best and nonexistant most of the time, training plans are always a day or two late, and our training volume is almost a quarter of what it used to be. I've shared my concerns but have received no response. Take a look at my logs over the past two months and tell me if you really think it's worth the arm and leg I'm paying.

Man, it ticks me off when coaches don't do their job and give other coaches a bad name. Look around, ask the right questions etc. I've written a little 'what to expect article' about looking for a coach. Its here if you want to read it:
http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/hiringacoach.html

Good luck in your search!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaching Problem-Am I asking too much? Rss Feed  

of 2