Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any Kindle Users? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-03 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY
Subject: Any Kindle Users?
I just got one to play around with for a project I may be developing for work.  Anyone use this device and care to offer opinions?

2008-06-03 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1441023

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Any Kindle Users?

I really like my Kindle.

Pros:

• Can put a bunch of books on it and other types of media
  • I like the screen, it actually looks like paper to me
  • Ease of downloading with free internet
  • Books are cheaper
  • Lots of book choices
  • It has internet access (I have looked at BT) and it is free

Cons:

• No backlight
  • The screen is sensitive to damage, I think, so you need to carry around the case at all times

Not sure how the cost-effective the price of the unit is, as I got it as a gift

2008-06-04 4:17 AM
in reply to: #1441023

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Any Kindle Users?

I just got one this weekend, so these are first impressions:

The selection of books is OK. Good for popular fiction, great for classics, and hit or miss for most everything else

It's not possible to listen to an audio book (audible format) and read another book at the same time (it would be possible to listen to an mp3 book while reading). There are some books that I'd like to listen to while reading along, so this would be a nice, if infrequently used, feature.

There's no way to create playlist for mp3's

The screen is easier on my eyes than reading on my Treo.

I would like to be able to book my books into catagories.

I haven't tried yet creating my own "books".

The flash of black on the screen as each page refreshes is becoming less distracting.

The data connection is weak. I have Sprint service for my Treo and almost always have connection to the EVDO network, but the Kindle frequently looses connectivity.

It is possible to use the device without a desktop computer for written books. Audible books require downloading from a desktop. It is possible to download Audible books over the Sprint network as I download them to my Treo often.

There is a significant lag between keystrokes and text entry.

Footnotes for some books are "hyperlinked" which is nice as it isn't easy to navigate back to the middle of a chapter. But not all books have this feature programed.

It's Linux based. I haven't decided yet if I want to keep it as an ebook reader or if I want to hack around with it to see what it can do.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any Kindle Users? Rss Feed