General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fearing the swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-08-03 7:55 PM

denver co
Subject: fearing the swim
i am turning 31 next month and have been cycling and running for a fair amount of time. i have always wanted to compete in a triathalon and decided to start training! here's the problem: i haven't swam since i was a kid and even then it wasn't well. i went for my first training swim last week and almost want to call it quits! i'm in ok shape but problem #1: I have HORRIBLE form---problem #2: my ears feel like they are going to explode and my sinuses were messed up for days after.
is there any hope for me?

2003-08-04 4:55 AM
in reply to: #379

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: fearing the swim
Everyone has fears and usually some problem they have to overcome when they start the swim. If you are having problems with your ears, you may want to try earplugs. If you are having problems with water getting into your sinuses, I think you might have two options, one------ tough it out, which might get discouraging, or two ------try to use a nose clamp, which will keep water from getting into your sinuses. Hang in there; later on these will seem like small obstacles you had to overcome.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-08-04 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

yes there is hope.  many swimmers experience mild to major sinus problems after the swim.  a lot of it has to do with chlorine sensitivity and developing an allergic reaction to it.  check out this link about chlorine and pools: http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/coachsci/swimming/chlorine/chlorine.htm

also i have read to get a non-medicated nasal saline solution at the drugstore and rinse your nose out thouroghly afterwards.  also maybe allergy pills will help.  if none of the above works, go see a doc for maybe a prescription allergy med.  usually u will be dealing with this 4 ever if it's an allergy. 

maybe afor your form, take a few lessons.  they will help immensly.  what helped me is watching other good swimmers in the lane next to me (underwater) - u will pick up a lot!

hang in there!  i felt like death after my first week of swimming.

2003-09-20 11:37 PM

denver co
michael and ron,
i want to formally thank you for all the help i and many others have recieved. i have been toughing it out and the swim is taking shape. i had a hard time stopping myself from going to the pool on my off day... and i am excited for my next swim day. i have one further question about the swim however, i am in the pool at my gym 3 days a week for up to an hour at a time conversely i am a pretty healthy and holistic person and am concerned with the chlorine (not allergies but health issues) it is clearly a toxin and i was wondering what if any advice you may have regarding that.
thanks again for all your help and support and i AM going to keep tri'ing,
scott
2003-09-21 1:00 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
I'll have to look into that! I have had no problems and I don't know of any, but I will get back with you on it.
2003-10-03 5:25 AM

User image

New user

I am new to the sport but wanted to offer a suggestion about the whole swim experience. I am a strong swimmer, IN A POOL. It is totally different swimming in open water. I did my first tri in a lake in Fla and nearly had a panic attack when I realized how murky the water was, that I could not see the bottom and felt like I had swimmers on top of me. Make sure you practice in open water and get comfortable not being able to see. I am going to train in the river starting spring. Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fearing the swim Rss Feed