General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help for Calf Cramps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-13 10:41 AM

Rockwall, TX (Dallas area)
Subject: Help for Calf Cramps
Hi All,

I sprained my knee over the summer, and was forced to take three months off from running. My knee, while a little tender, seems fine for running now...but every time I try to run I get severe cramps in my calf (the same side with the sprained knee). After 48 hours, I feel nothing in the Calf at all...and can run with no problems for a mile or two...but I've never made it more than two miles without the cramp coming back. I've taken as much as three weeks off...then run again and there it is. It's really frustrating.
By way of history...I've never had any kind of leg or knee problems...and have been a regular runner for 20 years...and a triathlete for 5 years. Biking is no problem...I've even snowshoed and cross country skied since the knee sprain with no problems...but I CAN'T RUN

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated,

Don

2005-01-13 10:49 AM
in reply to: #102980

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Help for Calf Cramps
The muscle has certainly lost a lot of its flexibility from going through a much smaller range of motion over the last few months. Lot's of stretching and maybe some extra potassium are in order. But it is a bit odd that you can X-country ski without the same problems. I can understand the biking, but your calf goes through about the same range of motion in the skiing as it does the running, correct?

bts
2005-01-13 11:00 AM
in reply to: #102986

Rockwall, TX (Dallas area)
I suppose x-country does use the same muscles...but I know I don't do it at the same level. Perhaps if I raced or skied at a faster speed the same problem would pop up...but I felt no calf problems in two ski outings.

Don
2005-01-13 11:09 AM
in reply to: #102994

User image

Elite
And the fact that it's lower impact may contribute to the fact that it doesn't cause the same problems.

bts
2005-01-13 11:38 AM

User image

Elite

Boy, I hesitate to offer advice to someone who has been running for 20 years.

By now, you have to be a real expert on your body and running mechanics. I am going to go out on a limb anyway and suggest that you are tensing the calf to stabilize your knee in a way you didn't before. That extra muscle stress is triggering premature fatigue and cramps. I think I would concentrate on running smooth and relaxed (on a track perhaps). Once a cramp starts, it is hard to get it to loosen up, so I would stop after a mile to walk and stretch for a while to make sure the calf is relaxed. Then run another mile. Walk/stretch. Repeat as necessary. Once you regain your previous stride, the problem will go away.

Please give us a follow up on this to see what works.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2005-01-13 11:51 AM
2005-01-13 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
I would also make sure that the muscles around your knee are fully recovered. IE full range of motion and flexibility and full strength and endurance. Sounds like maybe your caf is still a bit inflexible and possibly weak. Be sure to incluide lots of stretching and strengthening for those muscles.

Just a thought to go along with what others have said.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help for Calf Cramps Rss Feed