General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Howdy from Sacramento. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-13 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Subject: Howdy from Sacramento.
Hi everyone!

My younger brother did his first triathlon last year, and he really enjoyed it, so I decided I should tri one too. I’ve dabbled in all three sports off and on, and I’ve been an avid mountain biker for about 15 years. So I feel pretty confident about the biking, somewhat sure I can do the swim, and pretty sure I can do the run if I don’t end up being plagued by various minor knee issues that have bugged me in the past. I’m planning on doing a sprint distance some time in March or April, followed by an Olympic around May and then maybe a half-IM later in the year, assuming each race goes well and I keep enjoying myself.

I’ve been reading “Becoming an Ironman,” which is a great, inspiring book and I have the crazy idea in my head that I’d love to add the IM to my “life goals” list. Currently, this list contains two items – to climb El Capitan in Yosemite, and to read all of Shakespeare’s play (if you’re interested in reading the story of how I accomplished the first of those goals, feel free to check out my description of the adventure: http://climbernet.com/miscellany/climbing/salathe.html)

An Ironman seems like it would be sufficiently “huge” to warrant addition to the life goals list, which only contains items that are a) challenging enough to require at least a year or two of preparation/training/participation and b) have at least some chance of failure – if it’s a slam dunk, it’s not worth putting on the list…

I don’t know if I’d be physically capable of something as daunting as an IM, and it seems a little premature to set so lofty a goal before I’ve even done my first triathlon, but there’s something so appealing about the purity of the Ironman – the history, the distances, etc. I can still remember watching on TV when Julie Moss crawled across the finish line – I was just a chubby, nerdy junior high school student, still getting picked last for gym class… it would be a few years later that I started road racing - the first of my athletic endeavors, and the one that would (at least partly) transform me from overweight nerd into moderately fit pseudo-athlete (although the geeky side of me never really died, thankfully...) Anyway, I think it’s still that chubby adolescent within me that would like to prove to myself that I can accomplish something as daunting as an Ironman.

Well, that was a very long winded introduction. Mostly I just wanted to say “Hi” and express how much I’ve enjoyed browsing this website and reading everyone’s stories and advice. I’ve never seen such a supportive and friendly online community and I’m looking forward to becoming a part of it!

Thanks for reading,
Scott

2005-01-13 1:00 PM
in reply to: #103069

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Howdy from Sacramento.
Welcome! Great goals Scott!My only suggestion (as someone who has been nagged by knees in the past) is to build the running slowly if you haven't been doing it--both volume and intensity. Going too quickly in either is the surest way to get injured and frustrated. If all goes well, you could get that 1/2 done this year. If not, for sure next.
2005-01-13 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  It's never too premature to make a lofty goal!  Keep training and racing and you'll do it!
2005-01-13 10:07 PM

User image

Boulder, CO
Scott - the climbing story was was riveting! Go for it with the Ironman, dream away, it seemed to take you great places in the past. I dropped you a line in response to your message (before I read your fantastic story) be well and happy training.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Howdy from Sacramento. Rss Feed