General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Cadence Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-01-14 1:11 PM
in reply to: #103653

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: Running Cadence
BGTwinDad, just curious, are you a heel or toe striker? If you are a heal striker, maybe you want to switch up. It should beel like baby steps. It should slow you down initially. I'm far from an expert, but if you have Friel's Training Bible, it's in there along with POSE and a couple of other drills. I think Brian Shea's (PBN) site also has an article on it.

2005-01-14 2:48 PM
in reply to: #103609

User image

Elite
Chicago
Rich Strauss - 2005-01-14 11:18 AM

I stop that fall by....planting my other foot directly under my body. I lift it straight up again, disrupt balance, fall forward, plant my next foot, etc. If done correctly, running is nothing more than falling forward, using gravity instead of muscular force.

Yep, that's what Pose teaches you and what I'm an avid believer in. My Pose clinic focused on:

1. good body lean

2. lift foot off the ground like from a "hot potatoe" so your foot is off the ground before it is behind your butt (using an imaginary vertical line drawn down from your butt)

3. balls of feet landing

4. good, high, knee drive, lifting knees straight up immediately after foot hits ground.

I'm in my 2nd week of Pose implementation and even though I was running 70% Pose before I even went to Pose, I definately feel a difference in the muscles working and the "relaxing" as I let gravity take me.

Edited by Steve- 2005-01-14 2:49 PM
2005-01-14 3:17 PM
in reply to: #103609

User image

Veteran
Belize
Rich Strauss - 2005-01-15 10:18 AM
If done correctly, running is nothing more than falling forward, using gravity instead of muscular force.

Interesting idea and it makes sense. Reminds me of my childhood dreams of flying. Incidentally, isn't running mostly flying since you cover most of the distance with both feet off the ground?

Actually, I still have those dreams and in those dreams I'm always trying to teach others how to fly. All you do is imagine yourself becomming very light and step on the air as if walking up a stairway to heaven. It's an awesome feeling. I would imagine that the less time your feet spend on the ground the faster you would fly (run).

Edited by David_Zen 2005-01-14 3:27 PM
2005-01-14 3:23 PM
in reply to: #103291

User image

Elite
Reno
I think I am an anti-Pose runner. Not that I am against it, but I am a long striding, lumbering, heal striker...... no wonder I hate it so much...... I am doing it wrong!

I have started trying to keep my heels up more... where else should I start? a video?

Edited by bootygirl 2005-01-14 3:24 PM
2005-01-14 3:40 PM
in reply to: #103729

User image

Elite
Chicago
bootygirl - 2005-01-14 2:23 PM

I have started trying to keep my heels up more... where else should I start? a video?

First, perhaps instead of trying to keep your heels up more, just concentrate on landing each foot strike on the balls of your feet.

Second, I plan on downloading this short video my Pose instructor gave to me of the "perfect" Pose technique. It'll be in a windows media player file that I can just put on a CD and mail to you if you like. I imagine I should be able to do this within the next week.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want a copy of it so you can "see" what a Pose runner's technique looks like.
2005-01-14 4:09 PM
in reply to: #103659

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
I'm definitely not a heel-striker... more of a flat or even lander when going easy.... when I pick up the cadence, my landing moves more to the ball of the foot.

Last time I bought new running shoes, the shop guy said the tread wear on my old pair looked almost perfect!

2005-01-14 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran

Ok, I'm back. Still haven't friggin' run but I'm back. Nice to see the conversation has been civil. It often can turn nasty when Pose gets involved.

I attended a Pose clinic with Dr. Romanov 2 years ago and learned a ton. I've used his ideas with my athletes and my own running. I've conducted about 10 running clinics as well so I've been able to refine these ideas through a lot of experience. Pose says:

1. High cadence, 90+
  2. Midfoot strike, directly under the body
  3. Lift the foot (change support) by lifting straight up, by firing your hamstring, not hip flexor.
  4. Slight forward lean along the Stance Line (line drawn from contact point, through knee, hips, head). Actually, I don't think this is a Pose term but I like it. Anyway, that entire line is straight but leaned forward slightly. In other words, you're not bent at the waist.
  5. Running is then changing support very quickly (pick leg straight up, with hamstring) and falling forward. High cadence = falling forward more often = running faster.

Rich's experience coaching athletes with this method:

1. Dr. Romanov understates the strain this places on your body and does not offer a means to adopt this method conservatively. Consider that you've been running the same way your whole life. Your joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments have adapted to your style, your running form. Anything outside of that form places a stress on your body and increases the risk of injury. Now, you're probably a heel striker with undeveloped calf and achilles elasticity. Or rather, the midfoot strike of Pose places a strain on structures that they are REALLY not used to. This can be dangerous. One common comment I hear is "I ran this way for 30 minutes and now I'm JACKED UP!! I can barely walk." First, realize that you need to make these changes incrementally. Second, implement a system that changes your form slowly and safely. I prescribe Form Fartlek, with is nothing more than intervals inserted into a run where you run "with good form" for a short period of time. Set your watch to beep every 10 minutes. When it beeps, run "New" (won't call it Pose, just new) for 1 minute. Next week, do 9/1, then 8'/2'. Whatever. My point is that you've implemented a system that doesn't just throw you on the street doing funky stuff to your legs.
  2. In my experience, if you tell someone "midfoot strike," they try too hard. They usually run on the balls of their feet or even toes. They've moved the contact point far forward on their foot, creating a long lever with the heel and achilles as the fulcrum. This long lever dramatically increases the forces applied to the achilles and calves. And remember, these structures are weak from a lifetime of heel striking.

What I do and tell my athletes:

"Run with a quick cadence, lifting up with the hamstring. Keep the contact point directly under your body. Lean forward 'at the ankles,' along the stance line, toward a target in the distance. You should feel as if you're falling toward that target. Change speed by increasing or decreasing lean. It doesn't take much at all. You can feel a fraction of a degree. Don't think midfoot stike. If you do all this correctly, it will just happen. If you try too hard you risk hurting yourself. You should feel as if you are 'unweighting the heel.' Foot contacts the ground in a neutral position (neither on the balls nor on the heels, kind of flat) with the heel barely off the ground."

We then do Strides almost daily, insert Form Fartlek into their runs, etc. I strongly believe you should have 1 running form workout per week, regardless of where you are in the season, how fast you are or think you are. The best runners in the sport work on form. If they do it, so should you.

Here endeth the lesson,

Rich

2005-01-14 5:34 PM
in reply to: #103768

User image

Elite
Chicago
Rich Strauss - 2005-01-14 3:12 PM

Ok, I'm back. Nice to see the conversation has been civil. It often can turn nasty when Pose gets involved.

Civil? I can change that pretty quickly...

2005-01-14 5:36 PM
in reply to: #103840

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Can't say I understand why it wouldn't be civil.... Is Pose controversial or something?
2005-01-14 5:55 PM
in reply to: #103841

User image

Elite
Chicago
kimj81 - 2005-01-14 4:36 PM

Can't say I understand why it wouldn't be civil.... Is Pose controversial or something?

Change is traditionally not well received by most people...

Consequently, Pose gets "mixed" reviews. However, I've been a heel striker/low cadence runner for over 20 years and it served me well. I mean hell, I ran a 1:58 1/2 mile in high school as a heel striker, so why should I change?

I probably wouldn't have if I heard about Pose back in high school, but now I'm looking for a way to stay more injury free in my "old" (er..older) age and that's why I switched last year to non-heel strike runner and this year to Pose.

Edited by Steve- 2005-01-14 5:55 PM
2005-01-14 6:00 PM
in reply to: #103867

User image

Veteran

In other venues Pose is usually met with a lively discussion on running form, voodoo, lack of research, what about this guy, what about that guy, etc. That's why I don't say "pose method," I just tell you what I know and have seen from my experience. Pose-eque, maybe? Ken Mierke, one of the other Ultrafit coaches, has a running book and video out, Evolution Running. I've seen his presentation last year and I know Ken very well. He is an extremely knowledgeable and scientific coach. He's also done performance testing on a billion athletes and has been able, for example, to put someone on a treadmill, make change x to their form and observe change y in pace and oxygen uptake. He knows his stuff.

Edited by Rich Strauss 2005-01-14 6:03 PM

2005-01-14 6:05 PM
in reply to: #103875

User image

Elite
Chicago
Rich Strauss - 2005-01-14 5:00 PM

He's also done performance testing on a billion athletes and has been able, for example, to put someone on a treadmill, make change x to their form and observe change y in pace and oxygen uptake. He knows his stuff.

I would sure hope he knows his stuff after testing 1/6th of the world's population!
2005-01-14 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Just a note, but I started focusing on my running cadence about a month ago and where I used to run comfortably (easy pace) at 6mph now my comfortable pace is 7mph. 6 feels too slow. I spend my warmups counting my steps and then do it every once in a while during my runs to see if I am staying at 90. When I start getting tired is when it starts dropping off, and thats when I start counting again. It helps me focus and keep my pace.

I haven't done any speed work or interval training yet, so we will see how it goes. But so far changing my cadence has been a great idea, and my knees are thanking me for it. Im not overstriding anymore.

2005-01-14 6:21 PM
in reply to: #103889

User image

Veteran
Excellent! I've been working on my running for a while. My cadence was 82, I pronate, have flat feet, etc. I spent about 4 years fighting all manner of running injuries. Since I've worked in my form I've been (knock, knock) healthy, with the exception of rolling the same ankle about 10 times. And you're right, it's just a matter of focus. I can honestly say there is very little time in any run, of any distance or pace, that I'm NOT thinking about my form. I'm able to focus for every minute of every run. It's just a habit.

Edited by Rich Strauss 2005-01-14 6:23 PM
2005-01-14 10:30 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
dreyer & Chi running- similar concept......

Edited by isis54 2005-01-14 10:30 PM
2005-01-15 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

OK, I'll join in.  Reading this thread this week got me interested to see what my cadence was.  I ran today as part of a brick and here are my conclusions.

First of all, let me say that I am 6-5, and I beleive that the cadence numbers will be lower for bigger dudes.  Now, I am a better than average runner.  I can cruise without a whole lot of effort at 8-minute pace for an inderterminent period of time.  (That means a long while, welshy.)  Also, you can tell from my shoes that I am a heel to mid-foot striker.  After running the first mile way to fast today (6:50), I tried to back off and checked my cadence - 80.  Now, I held it there for a whole mile and ran the second mile in 7:10, still pretty freaking fast.  So I backed off even more.  I have always used cadence to control speed, operating under the assumption that my stride length is fairly constant.  Moreover, and here is where it gets tricky, my HR is almost always double my cadence.  When I checked my cadence at 80, my HR was nearly 160.  And this is constant throughout my running.  (BTW, I don't own a HRM - I rely on RPE mostly.)  If I hold my head just right, I can "hear" my heartbeat in my ears, and it is almost perfectly in step with my footfalls. 

My personal conclusions:

1)  To remain in zone 1 or zone 2, I have to slow my cadence down.

2)  If I ever get to be a super-fast runner, then I will have a cadence near 90.  But for the time being, a cadence of about 70-75 is where I run comfortably for my long runs.

3)  I think it is very important in running to have the foot placed down while already moving backwards.  I think this action, which may lead to mid-foot striking, is critical in that the foot will not be moving against your body's momentum at any point.  When I sprint, or do strides, I run on the balls of my feet, but as I slow, the contact point moves backward. 

There you go.  So does that mean I believe in Pose or ChiRunning?  Depends on your interpretation...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Cadence Rss Feed  

of 2