General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Volunteering at IM event. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-12 1:19 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Subject: Volunteering at IM event.
I want to race an IM next year (2009) and my event of choice would be IMFL because of its proximity to me. My little experience with IM's is jockstrapping IMFL 70.3 this year but got there late so I missed a lot, and what I have read here and there. I know it is hard to get in and because of this will be the A race of my life. I really want to get in.

Is it easier to get registered if you volunteer at that race? I know/think they open registration the next day for racers and then there is a general line. If I am going to be there to register the next day I might as well volunteer the race and learn more about the event.

Is this true will it help me get a spot. Is there another race you would recommend for a first IM. Travelling is definitely not out of the question, but Fl is just a convenience. Also I would like to do an official Mdot race for the "atmosphere" Don't really want to open that can of worms though.

2008-06-12 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1462816

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Volunteering at IM event.

My understanding is that current year racers get first choice, then volunteers and then everyone else.

But I have been know to be wrong.

I would say if IMFL is close go for it.  Remember all the races are hard so you aren't going to find an easy IM.  Granted some play to peoples strengths like if you are a good cyclist and like hills head to IMLP.   IM's are so expensive if you can save $ by not having to fly I say go for it.

2008-06-12 1:39 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-12 2:07 PM

Regular
I volunteered at IMMOO in 2007 to sign up for 2008.

In Wisconsin they did NOT have a special line for volunteers to sign up for the following year. That is to the best of of knowledge. We missed the volunteer meeting prior to the race so maybe they let people sign up then.

We were in line Monday morning at 5AM (20 people in line) to get our spot. Close to 1000 people in line by the time they started registration.
2008-06-12 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1462955

Pro
Without house

wasabi - 2008-06-12 2:07 PM I volunteered at IMMOO in 2007 to sign up for 2008. In Wisconsin they did NOT have a special line for volunteers to sign up for the following year. That is to the best of of knowledge. We missed the volunteer meeting prior to the race so maybe they let people sign up then. We were in line Monday morning at 5AM (20 people in line) to get our spot. Close to 1000 people in line by the time they started registration.

They didn't start doing the seperate volunteer line until AFTER IM WI.

2008-06-12 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1463052

Expert
Newton, MA
maggyruth - 2008-06-12 3:33 PM

wasabi - 2008-06-12 2:07 PM I volunteered at IMMOO in 2007 to sign up for 2008. In Wisconsin they did NOT have a special line for volunteers to sign up for the following year. That is to the best of of knowledge. We missed the volunteer meeting prior to the race so maybe they let people sign up then. We were in line Monday morning at 5AM (20 people in line) to get our spot. Close to 1000 people in line by the time they started registration.

They didn't start doing the seperate volunteer line until AFTER IM WI.

IMFL 2007 was the first time they had a separate volunteer line. I was in it

Current year athletes can register for the following year the day before the race. Volunteers and general public can register day after, in 2 lines. Volunteer line is MUCH shorter than the general public line, at least at that race. I'm sure more people will volunteer now that they can wait in the shorter line, which is probably the point of the whole thing. 

2008-06-13 12:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO
First of all....whatever your motivation, volunteering at an IM is a GREAT way to the the "feel" of what race day looks like inside the ropes.......

If you are stout enough, let me suggest the following duties (assuming you can get them) as they give you exposure to things you might want to know about.....

First, strip wetsuits......you can't really understand this process until you do it or have it done to you!

Second, catch bikes......you will see all manner of folks coming in and see just about every bike out there....see how much crap folks take along for such a long ride! And you will be able to judge who handled the bike pacing, etc. well and who did not....it WILL remind you to learn this key skill!

Finally, work the finish line at some point.....there is nothing that will get you more fired up for IM than this....'nuff said!

I did this exact rotation at IMMoo in 2006 just because I knew some friend racing.....and even in the 55 degree constant rain..I had A BLAST!

And you get the additional benefit of being a priority member of the line for sign-ups the next day!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Volunteering at IM event. Rss Feed