Supersprint
14C / 57F
Precipitation
Total Time = 49m 31s
Overall Rank = 418/
Age Group = 18-29
Age Group Rank = 66/132
Pre-race routine:

Purchased a new Brooks racing back top and orca tri shorts to compete in.
Awoke at about 5.30am, had all my gear packed for the night before bar my sunnies which I couldn't find - didn't need them anyway. Managed to get a muffin with vegemite down. Drove along the beach to Sandy eyeing the water. It wasn't choppy, there were actually waves in the bay. Huh? That's not supposed to happen...
Event warmup:

Spent lots of time in the water before hand - despite the swell 0.5 - 1m with a southly blowing them in - it wasn't too cold. My feet started to go numb as my wave was called. Brooks changed the wave starts to age group, earlier in the season, the season competitors got to start together so the chics I met last race were no where to be seen.
Swim
  • 04m 21s
  • 200 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

The fact that the waves were pounding the beach made it paticularly difficult to get out to the first buoy, that and being stuck behind people. It was again ridiculously congested.
What would you do differently?:

I really should start at the front and actually do some bay swimming - had I done it yesterday it would have been no help, the bay was a mill pond!!
Transition 1
  • 06m 24s
Comments:

Its about a 500m uphill track to the transition area. Running on the paved road was tough as I couldn't feel my feet. Running on the mats covering the dirt track was a little better. I initially struggled with getting my wetsuit undone but the long run to T1 gave me plenty of time to sort it out. Again had a bit of trouble getting the wetsuit off - felt slow, as did getting my bike shoes on (I look forward to learning how to get into my shoes while riding - will cover that tomorrow morning), running with bike shoes on the concrete was a little dodgy today too.

Wetsuit off quicker, bay swim, bay swim, bay swim, gain enough coordination to put feet in shoes while on bike.
Bike
  • 21m 56s
  • 10 kms
  • 27.36 km/hr
Comments:

Found there was a little tailwind heading towards the city (avg about 35km/hr) while back towards Sandy was much slower. Pass lots of people on the bike - all who pass me in the run! Was kind of saving my legs for the run.

Didn't have a speed to aim for, should have had a goal.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Didn't wiggle my toes enough while riding so my feet were still a little numb while getting running shoes on. Ran about 10 metres the wrong way and had to back track a little to get out of transition area. Just before the 2km mark I was running down a little hill, that combined with a small gust of wind took my hat off, so I had to run a couple of metres back to retrieve it!

Run the right way!! Tighten hat.
Run
  • 14m 39s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 05m 52s  min/km
Comments:

This was slow slow slow, I didn't push hard at all. I passed a total of 2 people while countless passed me!

Run and brick training. At this stage of the race I'd resigned myself to the fact that my time wasn't going to be competitive for me. It was fun though and I'm still happy that I raced.
Post race
Warm down:

I was super hungry after the race. Downed a protirn bar while watching the Gatorade race and had to go home for more food, was almost ill because I was so hungry. Had a bowl of cereal and a protien milkshake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Talent! Only a weeks worth of proper training since Xmas.

Event comments:

Sandy is a much tougher course than St Kilda or Elwood, the overcast weather and big swell did nothing for the confidence in the race back after Xmas!

Last updated: 2005-01-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:21 | 200 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/132
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Rectangular course to navigate around 2 buoys. Think they may have shortened the race distance due to the conditions. Was meant to be a 250 swim but me thinks it was 200m
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20F / -6C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:21:56 | 10 kms | 27.36 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 10kms along beach rd. Some hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:14:39 | 02.5 kms | 05m 52s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Avg HR throughout race 175
Course: Mostly flat, one hill, majority of track along the beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-01-16 3:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Brooks fun Tri Race 3 Sandringham

2005-01-16 4:39 AM
in reply to: #104344

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Brooks fun Tri Race 3 Sandringham
Hey there!
Well done on another race done!
I was there today watching my husband race the Gatorade - bloody hell what happened to th bay!!!??? I was shocked after seeing it yesterday and thinking what lovely swim it would be - WRONg! ABsolutely hideous! Well done for even starting and then finishing that race - I take my hat off to you! You go girl! Good luck in the next race. M
2005-01-16 6:31 PM
in reply to: #104344

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Brooks fun Tri Race 3 Sandringham
Now now now.......

I think your being a bit harsh. You got out of bed early on a Sunday morning, swam the wild seas of Sandringham and biked and ran around Melbourne way before a lot of people had even woken up!! (raining and 14C sounds like a nice day to sleep in).

Well done for racing and sticking it out to the end.

Paul

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brooks fun Tri Race 3 Sandringham Rss Feed