General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IMKS 70.3 talk... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-16 11:59 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Post IMKS 70.3 talk...

Lots of news reports coming out about IMKS 70.3.

Here's one.....

Iron to the core

Clinton Lake course tests pros’ mettle

Australian Craig Alexander has been through countless triathlons in his life.

But none of them left the 34-year-old from Sydney as drained and exhausted as he was after Sunday’s Ironman Kansas, a 70.3-mile triathlon that took competitors on a grueling journey of the Kansas countryside around Clinton Lake.

After crossing the finish line in second place, in just under four hours (3:59:59), Alexander, the 2006 Ironman world champion, nearly crashed to the ground.

“I didn’t pass out, but the guy I was standing by, I sort of collapsed on him,” Alexander said. “It was almost a faint, but it wasn’t a faint.”

Credit the humidity, the hills and the legitimacy of the Kansas course for Alexander’s exhaustion. After regaining his feet, he was shuffled off to the medical tent, where he received two bags of a saline solution that pumped up his blood stream and elevated his blood pressure back to normal levels.

The trip to the medical tent was the first in Alexander’s 10-year career as a triathlete.

Hours after he finished the race, a slightly spent Alexander had nothing but good things to say about the first event of its kind in Kansas.

“It was certainly a fair, honest race,” Alexander said. “The course was challenging, but for the swim and the first 40 miles of the bike I felt awesome. But after that I think the humidity might have played a little bit of a role. I didn’t have my running legs, but you keep plugging along because, you know, they could come.”

Six miles into the 13-mile run, Alexander was certain he wouldn’t find them.

“By mile six I knew it was not my day,” he said. “By mile 10, I couldn’t wait to get to the finish. I’d expect to win a race like this but, that being said, give credit to (winner) Terenzo (Bozzone). He’s one of the best in the world at this Bezzone crossed the finish line three minutes ahead of Alexander to record his second Ironman 70.3 victory of the month. He also won in Boise, Idaho, on June 1.

“The win’s great,” Bezzone said. “You never want to be anything but first across the line.”

Samantha McGlone, a Canadian who calls Colorado Springs, Colo., home won the women’s event in 4:19.03.

“It hurt, as always,” the 28-year-old McGlone said. “But it was great to be here in Kansas. It was beautiful.”

Unfortunately for several competitors, the finish line never came, as the race was called off after nearly seven hours because of rain and lightning that moved into the area. The awards ceremony, scheduled for 3 p.m., also was cancelled because of the threatening weather.

Event organizers said about 60 percent of the field, roughly 900 athletes, had finished the race by the time it was stopped.

The professionals had long since finished when officials pulled the plug, but several amateurs were disappointed that they were yanked off the course.

“It’s a bummer,” said 40-year-old Dan Mosca, of Joliet, Ill., “But what are you gonna do? It’s better than being struck by lightning.”

Mosca had just six miles remaining when participants were forced to call it a day. Not that he minded.

“I thought Kansas was flat,” said Mosca with a hint of astonishment. “That was ridiculous.”

Mosca’s friend, Mark Karner, was running in his first ever triathlon, and he was left reeling about how close he was to reaching his goal.

“I was within striking distance,” Karner said. “So that was disappointing, but this was a great day. I really enjoyed it.”

Others were not so lucky. Several — even some of the elite athletes — pulled out of the race because of injuries. One man was taken by medical helicopter to a hospital after breaking his leg on a downhill ride during the bike portion of the race.

In all, the race featured 14 different divisions for each gender. Athletes as young as 18 and as old as 80 competed in the event.

Regardless of the stoppage or the handful of injuries, the overwhelming majority of triathletes left Clinton Lake’s Bloomington Beach with a sense of accomplishment.

Lawrence resident Jon King, who had done four triathlons before but none of the Ironman distance, said having a world-class event in Lawrence made for too good of an opportunity to pass up.

“It’s in my own backyard, and they did a great job of putting the event together,” King said. “They had a lot of local volunteers, and everything was great. It was neat to have the pros here, and it’s neat that they come and do this. But what was even neater was to see all of the age groups.”

Edited by oipolloi 2008-06-16 12:00 PM

2008-06-16 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1469134

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Post IMKS 70.3 talk...
I read about the race stoppage in one of the RR here.  That sucks, but safety is the key thing to keep in mind.  Don't need anyone zapped off of their bike or stuck running in a hail storm!!
2008-06-16 12:45 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
I might be bitter still [I am] but safety really is irrelevant in a situation like this. People were still running back to the finish line for 20 minutes after I got pulled. My wife and I were parked about a mile away from transition at the top of a hill; after I got my things gathered and walked for 20 minutes did I really escape any imminent danger? Since they called the race then the burden of safety was off their shoulders, but the risk was still there.
2008-06-16 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1469294

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Bripod - 2008-06-16 12:45 PM I might be bitter still [I am] but safety really is irrelevant in a situation like this. People were still running back to the finish line for 20 minutes after I got pulled. My wife and I were parked about a mile away from transition at the top of a hill; after I got my things gathered and walked for 20 minutes did I really escape any imminent danger? Since they called the race then the burden of safety was off their shoulders, but the risk was still there.

While that might be true and while I sympathize with your bitterness, in America if you don’t at least try to do something about preventing a potential hazard then you might be liable for any bad outcomes that can occur. Remember with the "lets sue everyone" mentality prevalent in the states it is a risky situation for the organizers, either way they are the ones taking a hit. I know it sucks to have your race stopped 2 miles from finishing after all your training, I would be upset as well, but it is a tricky situation for sure.

2008-06-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1469294

User image

Elite

Bripod - 2008-06-16 12:45 PM I might be bitter still [I am] but safety really is irrelevant in a situation like this. People were still running back to the finish line for 20 minutes after I got pulled. My wife and I were parked about a mile away from transition at the top of a hill; after I got my things gathered and walked for 20 minutes did I really escape any imminent danger? Since they called the race then the burden of safety was off their shoulders, but the risk was still there.

Agree....to a point.  It would help people understand WHY they did what they did if they would publish their emergency weather protocol.  Maybe a breakdown in communication between the RD and the volunteers?  What I heard from the finish line area was that people who hadn't yet started the second loop would be pulled.  THIS makes sense.  Pulling people who were literally 2-miles from the finish made little sense because there were still runners 4-5 miles from the finish.  How were they going to get back to the finish?  Walk or run.  So....stopping people PRIOR to beginning of the second loop would have made sense...IMHO.  But still....I do not fault the RD.  It was a crazy day out there....and a first time venue.

2008-06-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1469334

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
amiine - 2008-06-16 12:55 PM

While that might be true and while I sympathize with your bitterness, in America if you don’t at least try to do something about preventing a potential hazard then you might be liable for any bad outcomes that can occur. Remember with the "lets sue everyone" mentality prevalent in the states it is a risky situation for the organizers, either way they are the ones taking a hit. I know it sucks to have your race stopped 2 miles from finishing after all your training, I would be upset as well, but it is a tricky situation for sure.

Yeah and I recognize that. We had dinner with a guy from New Zealand last night and he was telling us about the marathon that he ran during a hail storm. He said he was surprised at the mentality of people in America for fear of being sued. I don't blame them for stopping the race and I really can't think of anything else they could have done differently. They couldn't "pause" it because who knows what the weather is going to do? It's just a bad deal all around and I'm still upset. Probably mostly upset about the 1 mile uphill walk in the pouring rain to go sit in my car in the sunshine.

grr........

2008-06-16 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1469339

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
oipolloi - 2008-06-16 12:58 PM

Agree....to a point. It would help people understand WHY they did what they did if they would publish their emergency weather protocol. Maybe a breakdown in communication between the RD and the volunteers? What I heard from the finish line area was that people who hadn't yet started the second loop would be pulled. THIS makes sense. Pulling people who were literally 2-miles from the finish made little sense because there were still runners 4-5 miles from the finish. How were they going to get back to the finish? Walk or run. So....stopping people PRIOR to beginning of the second loop would have made sense...IMHO. But still....I do not fault the RD. It was a crazy day out there....and a first time venue.

Yeah no doubt. 2 miles? For people finishing in 6:30 that's probably not much more than a 9 minute pace, 11 if they've hit the wall, so we're talking about 22 minutes? Seems like they could have accomodated those folks. Then again, if they do then they're giving "preferential treatment" to the slower athletes, so who knows. bah.
2008-06-16 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
I've now had 24 hours to think about all of it. First of all, I was really impressed by the city of Lawrence, the volunteers, and the organization. For a first time event, it went off quite smoothly. The course was the most difficult I have done at this distance (4 total now), and it has given me the confidence I need for the rest of the season.

However, IF there are weather guidelines for stopping a race, I wish that these were known and made available to the public. It may greatly affect the race which you sign up for. Kansas in June is prone to nasty weather. And I do have to say that there was NO rain, and NO hail, and NO lightning when I was pulled 2 miles from the end. I did, however, finish my race, and did the last 2 miles "unofficially," while the volunteers continued to cater to my needs.

I think we were doomed by the presence of 'Dorothy.' One of the female runners dressed up in braids, blue checked skirt, carrying a basket with a fake dog in it. Didn't she ever watch the Wizard of Oz!!
2008-06-16 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1469450

User image

Elite

slowone - 2008-06-16 1:36 PM I've now had 24 hours to think about all of it. First of all, I was really impressed by the city of Lawrence, the volunteers, and the organization. For a first time event, it went off quite smoothly. The course was the most difficult I have done at this distance (4 total now), and it has given me the confidence I need for the rest of the season. However, IF there are weather guidelines for stopping a race, I wish that these were known and made available to the public. It may greatly affect the race which you sign up for. Kansas in June is prone to nasty weather. And I do have to say that there was NO rain, and NO hail, and NO lightning when I was pulled 2 miles from the end. I did, however, finish my race, and did the last 2 miles "unofficially," while the volunteers continued to cater to my needs. I think we were doomed by the presence of 'Dorothy.' One of the female runners dressed up in braids, blue checked skirt, carrying a basket with a fake dog in it. Didn't she ever watch the Wizard of Oz!!

I have to agree.  This was the most difficult course I've raced.  Not only was the bike course hilly ( to say the least)...but the off-road running really tore me up.

I saw Dorothy on the course.  When the storm blew in I was wondering if she had anything to do with it.   

Not sure where you were on the course at the time, but there was considerable lighting.  Strangely enough I didn't hear any thunder....just lots of bolts of lightning.  Maybe the weather Radar showed something worse on the way that eventually missed the race site.

Edited by oipolloi 2008-06-16 1:45 PM
2008-06-16 11:32 PM

Veteran
North Dakota

For my first HIM I really enjoyed this race.  I thought the course was tough, but I've been training in Colorado for the past month and focused on hills so I felt very good.  Although I was out in the last wave I was able to finish (5:26:24).  Hearing about people being so close to the finish but not being allowed to frustrates me.  I think I get more joy in seeing others finish rather than myself.

I thought the race was well organized minus the whole weather thing at the end.  The whole shuttle the ironcross was the one thing that my spectators commented on.  They weren't able to get out there because race officials told them that the pros were already on there way in.  My family had a great time though and they found great places on the run to see me, almost 6 times per loop. 

I hope in the future that an emergency planned is more thought through.  The volunteers were some of the best I have ever seen though, so congrats to them.  Anyone know how they decide who's in which wave?? I feel bad for my fellow AG's who because of the weather were forced to run under 6 hours to finish while other had up to 6 1/2.  Not sure if I'll do this one in the future again but did enjoy my time in Kansas, but like Dorothy said, "We're not in Kansas anymore" and I think I'm happy about that

2008-06-17 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Set your calendars for June 14 next year! http://www2.ljworld.com/videos/2008/jun/16/19075/

2008-06-17 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I have to say the course was beautifully designed and the volunteers were incredible.

Things I didn't like:

-The placement of the one water stop on the hill. Seriously. Those going down the big hill don't want to stop and those going up know they'll have a bi*ch of a time getting restarted. I saw one dude almost take out about four guys coming down as he was trying to get started again.

-The gravel in transition. But I say HTFU ... (Note: my transition spot was on the very end of the rack on the aisle and the two racers on either side of me didn't show. Awesome!)

-The premature stoppage of the race, of course. My thought was they should've let people going out finish and made people coming in head to the finish instead of just corraling everybody into the chute from both sides. That way those with 2 miles left (me included) could've finished. It was so heartbreakingly close. Still, I understand why they did it. I don't like that they did it, but I empathize with the RD.

Frustrating to say the least, but add my 17 minutes to my official time and I still beat my goal by more than a half hour. This course being so tough gives me confidence to do the 140.6 in September.
2008-06-17 11:48 AM
in reply to: #1469334

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-18 4:13 PM

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
any one know when they are susposed to have our pictures up?
2008-06-19 3:50 PM

Expert
Chicago
2008-06-21 6:36 PM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Just getting caught up from being on vacation all week after the race...

Like Bripod said - to pull people from the course who had 20 minutes left to run (2 miles), but let people continue coming in for who knows how long was just irritating. I mean, if you're going to stop the race, stop the race! Pull people off no matter where they are if the safety is truly the concern. I saw an official race golf cart drive by me a few times and since they didn't say a word or stop me, I assumed the course was still open and I would be able to finish, despite the confused (but awesome) volunteers.

As for the weather call. I really wonder how they are making the call. I mean, are they just looking up at the sky and saying "hmm that looks bad" or do they have a trained meteorologist counseling them? Being in Kansas yes weather is a risk and a big deal. But I'd be pretty upset if I learned they just made an ameteur's eyeball call, and didn't have a trained professional translating the radar and sky.

I thought the fact that they changed the run course the day before the event was a little disorganized. Not a huge deal to me, but just disorganized.

It's still beyond me as to how they can run out of things like race shirts and water bottles at packet pickup. I registered in October and did not receive either. Yet I bet those that registered early at the Expo on Saturday got both. They should be stuffing the race packets with your shirt.

My spectators were pretty disappointed about the Iron Cross shuttle not being available as advertised.

The way they have communicated after the event leaves a lot to be desired. Specifically regarding the results. First, those who received penalties were just left off the official results all together. WTF? Second, who got Clearwater slots? I know it says they will call you, but it would be nice to know in case I need to congratulate someone. Third, they posted run and official times for everyone who crossed the finish line, regardless of if they had run the entire 13.1 miles or not. So it's really hard to gauge how you really stacked up with everyone, when probably half of the "official" run results are bogus. There at least needs to be an asterisk by those who did not complete the run. Some people's results have them running 3-minute mile paces; come on.

Now I know by the time I came in, things were over with. Including finish line hydration and nutrition. Again, if they knew people were still out on the course it would have been nice to have a water or Gatorade or something at the finish line. NOTHING. I guess there was food a good hike away earlier, but obviously it was gone when I came across.

Now for the positives.
VOLUNTEERS ROCKED THE HOUSE! THey stood out there in the heat, wind, then rain and cheered us on like crazy. At the end, they were wearing trash bags and cardboard boxes on their heads. Wow.

Navy Seals were awesome. Nice touch. Also enjoyed the starting line music.

The Expo was great - loved the opportunity to shop and such.

I love that my swim cap has IMKS 70.3 printed on it.

Great race site. Clear lake, challenging hills, nice run course. Available camping, vendor areas, etc. all made this a wonderful location.

2008-06-24 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1480327

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
lisac957 - 2008-06-21 6:36 PM

As for the weather call. I really wonder how they are making the call. I mean, are they just looking up at the sky and saying "hmm that looks bad" or do they have a trained meteorologist counseling them? Being in Kansas yes weather is a risk and a big deal. But I'd be pretty upset if I learned they just made an ameteur's eyeball call, and didn't have a trained professional translating the radar and sky.

Not quite sure how it's done either, but I do know it's not the RD's call. I think it has something to do with whether or not radar or spotters see a lightening strike.
2008-06-24 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1486933

Expert
Chicago
VeganMan - 2008-06-24 1:15 PM

lisac957 - 2008-06-21 6:36 PM

Not quite sure how it's done either, but I do know it's not the RD's call. I think it has something to do with whether or not radar or spotters see a lightening strike.

The park ranger made the call. Apparently some areas hit by the storm cell we saw were producing golf ball sized hail and lightning.

It's a d@mned if you do...d@mned if you don't situation. If they didn't call the race and an athlete had been injured (or worse) directly because of the storm, everyone would be asking why the race wasn't called.
2008-06-25 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1487340

Elite

RunningJayhawk - 2008-06-24 3:16 PM

......Apparently some areas hit by the storm cell we saw were producing golf ball sized hail and lightning. It's a d@mned if you do...d@mned if you don't situation. If they didn't call the race and an athlete had been injured (or worse) directly because of the storm, everyone would be asking why the race wasn't called.

X2. 

2008-06-25 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1487340

Veteran
Golden, CO

RunningJayhawk - 2008-06-24 2:16 PM
VeganMan - 2008-06-24 1:15 PM
lisac957 - 2008-06-21 6:36 PM As for the weather call. I really wonder how they are making the call. I mean, are they just looking up at the sky and saying "hmm that looks bad" or do they have a trained meteorologist counseling them? Being in Kansas yes weather is a risk and a big deal. But I'd be pretty upset if I learned they just made an ameteur's eyeball call, and didn't have a trained professional translating the radar and sky.
The park ranger made the call. Apparently some areas hit by the storm cell we saw were producing golf ball sized hail and lightning. It's a d@mned if you do...d@mned if you don't situation. If they didn't call the race and an athlete had been injured (or worse) directly because of the storm, everyone would be asking why the race wasn't called.

I feel for whoever had to make the call, but I am still having trouble reconciling the fact that they really didn't call the race, they just decided at a certain point that the next time you passed the start/finish area, you wouldn't be allowed to continue.  That meant that a large number of people (me included) were out on course for up to 50 minutes after they made the decision to not let people continue past the start/finish area.  If there had been golf ball sized hail out on the course I would have still been out running in it along with hundreds of others.  There would have been several points where I could have been directed back towards the start/finish area that would have got me back to the start/finish area sooner if the RD/park rangers felt there was danger. 

If they really felt we were in danger, they should have done everything possible to get everyone off the course as quickly as possible.  If they were not going to do that, they should have just let people continue.  Participating in a triathlon is a risky proposition.  I was perfectly capable of making the decision to continue or not, and I had signed a waiver absolving everyone involved of any liability for my decision to participate in the race.  What would they have done if the run course were an out and back. 

2008-06-25 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1489000

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
moneyman - 2008-06-25 10:28 AM

I feel for whoever had to make the call, but I am still having trouble reconciling the fact that they really didn't call the race, they just decided at a certain point that the next time you passed the start/finish area, you wouldn't be allowed to continue.  That meant that a large number of people (me included) were out on course for up to 50 minutes after they made the decision to not let people continue past the start/finish area.  If there had been golf ball sized hail out on the course I would have still been out running in it along with hundreds of others.  There would have been several points where I could have been directed back towards the start/finish area that would have got me back to the start/finish area sooner if the RD/park rangers felt there was danger. 

If they really felt we were in danger, they should have done everything possible to get everyone off the course as quickly as possible.  If they were not going to do that, they should have just let people continue.  Participating in a triathlon is a risky proposition.  I was perfectly capable of making the decision to continue or not, and I had signed a waiver absolving everyone involved of any liability for my decision to participate in the race.  What would they have done if the run course were an out and back. 

Xeleventybillion

2008-06-25 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1489547

Elite

lisac957 - 2008-06-25 12:49 PM 

X eleventybillion

Eleventybillion isn't a real number.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IMKS 70.3 talk... Rss Feed