General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with Choosing an IM plan... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-16 1:55 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Help with Choosing an IM plan...

I may be asking a lot of you at BT.  Thanks if you take the challange.....

I have been going back and forth between the beginner IM plan and the Intermediate IM plan here on BT.  I think I'm ready for both (please feel free to check the logs - they are accurate).

I like the Int. plan, but worry a little about the fact there are no "recovery weeks".  But I like the volume.  I also wonder how I will feel doing a long bike on Sat. and a long run on Sun. - and workout quality.

The Beg. plan has a nice start and has recovery weeks, but I get concerned about the volume some weeks - close to 20 hours.  Also, the fact they have a LONG bike on sat. followed by another "longish" bike on Sun in some weeks (ie, 6 hr bike followed by a 3 hr bike).  The long runs are on Thursday, so I'm not sure about getting 2:30 or 3 hours in after work, but I like the seperation between long run and bike.

I know I'm asking a lot, but any input would be helpful.

2008-06-16 2:21 PM
in reply to: #1469515

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Help with Choosing an IM plan...

First question - What is your IM goal?

Be honest with yourself about what you want out of the Ironman, if it's sub 11 hrs then are you prepared and do you have the time to train to that goal? I would love to go sub 11 but there are many other things that need attention beyond triathlon training. Once you answer this question picking a plan becomes a little easier.

My goal for the next IM is to finish around 13 hours with a stretch goal of sub 13, and I now know developing power on the bike is a key for my training. I picked a non-BT IM plan because I liked how it fit into my schedule and it's focus on bike power, the limiter I experienced in my first IM. My goal from week to week is to follow it 90% to 100% and I have made modifications or shifted work outs based on the weekly happenings of life in general. I simply don't have time to put in 20 hr training weeks (I wish I did) and can amend the plan to fit my needs. As for recovery, when the body says it needs recovery, I listen and take it rearranging training if needed.

The plans are not cast in stone and you can and should modify based on your time available, your limiters and physical ability or experience.

Beyond that, I think the key is to pick the plan and stay with it throughout the duration.

Best of luck on your Ironman journey!

2008-06-16 2:58 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I am currently 12 weeks into the 17 week plan and when putting the season together wrestled with the same thoughts you are.  I chose the intermediate plan, even though I did not really fit the description because I liked that the plan seemed to be more specific with its workouts.  The schedule seemed to fit mine a bit better and I felt comfortable with most of the workouts.  Like the previous response, these are not cast in stone and life gets in the way sometimes. So I have moved workouts around to meet my needs.  I have also had to make choices which workout needed to be missed if I needed to miss one for some reason.  Or use one of the shorter/easier workouts on an off day.

My only concern is that I don't feel like I am doing enough long runs, but I did over 105 miles in May.  Maybe it is because I feel like I have spent the last 6 months on the seat of my bike !  I used the winter maintanence, bike focus plan to build up to this.

I guess the real proof will come in 5 weeks, but so far I am comfortable over all with this plan.

2008-06-16 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY

I'm in the middle of the intermediate HR based IM plan.  During the first several weeks there are some relatively long runs on Sundays following a long ride on Saturday.  However, once you start getting into the higher volume levels, the long run moves to Thursday with the long ride staying on Saturday.

Also, there definitely are recovery weeks in the intermediate plan.  I just finished one of those weeks yesterday and will start another recovery week in a few weeks.  However, if I remember correctly the volume during the recovery weeks in the intermediate plan is higher than in the beginner plan.  I'll try to post a picture of a graph showing the weekly volumes during June and July, which will generally be my biggest volumes months of the plan.

This is my first IM, so I really have no basis of comparison for other plans, but so far I have had no problems keeping up with the volume, but the biggest weeks are yet to come.

(ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 16 16.41.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 16 16.41.jpg (44KB - 11 downloads)
2008-06-16 4:12 PM
in reply to: #1469606

User image

Sensei
Sin City
pkingfl - 2008-06-16 12:21 PM

First question - What is your IM goal?

Be honest with yourself about what you want out of the Ironman, if it's sub 11 hrs then are you prepared and do you have the time to train to that goal? I would love to go sub 11 but there are many other things that need attention beyond triathlon training. Once you answer this question picking a plan becomes a little easier.

My goal for the next IM is to finish around 13 hours with a stretch goal of sub 13, and I now know developing power on the bike is a key for my training. I picked a non-BT IM plan because I liked how it fit into my schedule and it's focus on bike power, the limiter I experienced in my first IM. My goal from week to week is to follow it 90% to 100% and I have made modifications or shifted work outs based on the weekly happenings of life in general. I simply don't have time to put in 20 hr training weeks (I wish I did) and can amend the plan to fit my needs. As for recovery, when the body says it needs recovery, I listen and take it rearranging training if needed.

The plans are not cast in stone and you can and should modify based on your time available, your limiters and physical ability or experience.

Beyond that, I think the key is to pick the plan and stay with it throughout the duration.

Best of luck on your Ironman journey!

My goal for this first one is to just finish it.  However, if you were to press me for a time, I would say I would like to be sub 14 hours - preferably 13 hours.  I come to that conclusion based on my just under 7 hour HIM's times.

I know plans can be adjusted, and already thought about giving up strength training first, then a swim if needed since that seems to be my strong suit.  I also have half days on Friday's, so I have the ability to do some significant workouts then.

I also think that doing 20 hrs per week is tough.  I could do it if it was THAT important, but I have a wife and job to think of, plus other interests!  I also thought about giving up the second "longish" ride the day after the long ride in the beginner plan.  That would cut my 20 hour weeks down to 17.  Something a little more doable.  Plus I don't give up the all important long ride.

2008-06-16 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1469721

User image

Sensei
Sin City
kenj - 2008-06-16 12:58 PM

I am currently 12 weeks into the 17 week plan and when putting the season together wrestled with the same thoughts you are.  I chose the intermediate plan, even though I did not really fit the description because I liked that the plan seemed to be more specific with its workouts.  The schedule seemed to fit mine a bit better and I felt comfortable with most of the workouts.  Like the previous response, these are not cast in stone and life gets in the way sometimes. So I have moved workouts around to meet my needs.  I have also had to make choices which workout needed to be missed if I needed to miss one for some reason.  Or use one of the shorter/easier workouts on an off day.

My only concern is that I don't feel like I am doing enough long runs, but I did over 105 miles in May.  Maybe it is because I feel like I have spent the last 6 months on the seat of my bike !  I used the winter maintanence, bike focus plan to build up to this.

I guess the real proof will come in 5 weeks, but so far I am comfortable over all with this plan.

Thanks, that's the plan I have more or less chosen unless my mind changes again (wouldn't be the first time).  It starts next Monday.....

I also like the structure and the fact that the biggest week is just over 15 hours (not including strength training).  I know I can do this because I was up to 12-13 for my HIM training.  The beginner plan has several weeks close to 20 hours.  That, to be honest, is unchartered territory.

2008-06-16 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1469988

User image

Sensei
Sin City

OK - let me twist the question around a little bit for fun...  Let's say that I looked at the week by week workouts of both plans, and they both seem doable (ability and time wise).

Is one significantly better? - or more geared for speed than the other?

Again, this is between the beginner and intermediate plans (both HR based, 20-wk, silver membership plans)

2008-06-16 8:37 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-16 11:04 PM

Expert
scottsdale, az
I've been debating the same thing..... 1st and foremost I want to finish, but I want to feel "ok" at the finish. I might do a mix of the 2 plans, I liked the volume for the intermed. since I'm already doing ok volume. Good luck with your training!!
2008-06-17 12:06 AM

and.... you're doing Silverman, one of the hardest IM courses?   You've done the HIM, so you know

Do the Intermediate... and add lots of hills

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with Choosing an IM plan... Rss Feed