General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race/Training Nutrition Intake..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-17 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
Des Moines, IA
Subject: Race/Training Nutrition Intake.....
Curious what everyone's favorite and "go to" nutrition supplements are. I'm currently using GU every 45minutes or so, but for some reason feel like I'm missing out on something better that's out there. If longer than 2 1/2 hours, I'll stick a Powerbar/ClifBar in there as well. Lastly
I also pop a generic salt tablet every hour of working out as well! It seems like a lot to manage to me, but I must say that I certainly don't crash like I did before using. (Sounds like a problem, doesn't it?)

I'd like to hear what the IM & HIM'ers are working with!

2008-06-17 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1471877

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Race/Training Nutrition Intake.....

Water.

While I just stick to running, I generally don't bring anything with me for training runs.  I seem to be just fine up to 15-18 miles that way.

2008-06-17 12:56 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Bike - Perpetuem (strength varies on duration) and water to wash down Carb Boom Apple Cinnman gels

Run - over 90 mins - 4 bottle Fuel Belt. 2 Gatorade ( I use regular since the Endurance formular can't be found) and 2 water to wash down more Carb Boom.

Solids don't work for me.

Tho I have recently started experimenting w/ Cliff Shot Blocks on the real long stuff but mostly as back plan for my IM.

2008-06-17 1:12 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
I use Gu as well, it tastes the best in my opinion and does the trick, usually one per hour for longer runs and on the bike. I also like Luna Moons, particularly for biking since they are solid and fools me into feeling like I actually ate something. For runs more than two hours, I have a salt packet or sometimes these capsules called Beat the Heat since they taste better And lastly, for runs over 15 miles and biking over 50 or so, I usually fill one of my bottles with Amino Vital, I swear I don't get fatigued when I drink this. For running you can get these little "fast charge" packets of it so you just put the powder in your mouth and wash it down with a drink. I have 3 or so during a marathon.
2008-06-17 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
In the past I've only ever used a gel (GU) once for a 2.5hr swim workout. I used a gel at T1 of a Du about a month ago. I've never run much over an hour before so I've never seen the need to take in anything more than water. Right now I'm going to start trying a gel (either GU or Hammer, they're what my LBS carries) every hour on the bike, and see how it works for me.
I know I can handle solids pretty well also, as I've trained all three sports eating anything from Clif bars to Chipotle burritos
Experimenting is good!
2008-06-18 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

preface:  nutrition is a very individual thing.  Here is a good starting point:

under 1 hour > water

1 - 2 hours > electrolyte drink of choice

over 2 hours > figure out how many calories your body can absorb in an hour without getting upset.  start with 300 calories per hour and adjust up or down as needed using whatever comination of drinks, gels, bars that works for you.

In longer races:  Bike > I take in about 350 calories per hour spread out over the hour consisting of GU2O and GU gel packs.  once the run hits, I lighten that down to about 200 calories per hour because that is all I can absorb while running.  I can't do any solids as they don't absorb fast enough.  (although, I have taken a cookie or two during an ironman run)

2008-06-18 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
im not a big clif bar fan..some of those bars just taste down right nasty.  Ill maybe have a MOJO bar or put a powerade packet into my water bottle... Seems to help or a Luna bar. 
2008-06-18 9:29 AM

User image

Runner

Something to think about in terms of fluid intake:

Training Tip - A Brief History of Water Theory

As runners, many of us enjoyed a long, cool spring, full of perfect running days, but the recent heat wave that has crossed the country was reminiscent of the most recent surprising heat wave: The 2007 Chicago Marathon weekend. Organizers were criticized for running out of water, cups and ambulances. In light of this, you might be surprised to learn that only 40 years ago, race organizers were not allowed to provide fluids before the 11 kilometer mark of a marathon and after that point runners could only drink once every 5k, according to the IAAF rule number 165.5.

In fact, this rule was more relaxed than the 1953 version which specified that "refreshments shall [only] be provided by the organizers after 15 km.No refreshments may be carried or taken by a competitor other than that provided by the organizers." We've certainly come a long way from those days, but, as Tim Noakes points out in his tome The Lore of Running, we now have a tendency to overdo it a bit. We're not talking about hyponaetremia (or overhydration) but we're simply drinking more fluids than it is possible for our bodies to absorb when we are in a stressed state.

During competitive running, its just not possible to replace fluid at rates equal to sweat rate, due in part to gastrointestinal distress. Noakes found in a 1993 study, that both fluid and carbohydrate absorption from the intestine was lower than expected during exercise. He found that while running, athletes had a hard time absorbing more than approximately 700 milliliters (about 23 ounces) per hour. If they tried to drink more than this, they felt bloated, which indicated some volume of unabsorbed fluid in the intestine.

"The only runners who are capable of drinking [enough to keep up with their sweat rate] are those who develop water intoxication (hyponaetremia)," and they tend to be the back of the pack runners, who are running slowly enough to be able to take in so much fluid. In contrast to popular belief, Noakes says that NOT all of the weight loss over a long run or race needs to be replaced in order to maintain performance. Indeed, when runners were tested after hot races, it was found that those with the greatest degree of dehydration were the winners.

So how does all this apply to you? While you're running and racing this summer, drink. When you're thirsty and not too much. About 16 ounces (1 pint) per hour will be as much liquid as most of us can absorb.

(Running Times Training Newsletter, June 2008

2008-06-18 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1473770

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
roxygirl - 2008-06-18 9:27 AM

im not a big clif bar fan..some of those bars just taste down right nasty.  Ill maybe have a MOJO bar or put a powerade packet into my water bottle... Seems to help or a Luna bar. 

I agree...that *some* of the Clif bars do taste funky. But there are a few that are pretty darn tasty. My current favs are - Crunchy Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch, and the new Blueberry Crunch one...yummmmmm!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race/Training Nutrition Intake..... Rss Feed