General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Drink or Seat post mount ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-01 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1473134

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Subject: RE: Aero Drink or Seat post mount ?

Used an aerobottle for my HIM last month.  I also kept a bottle in my downtube cage.  Worked perfectly.

I trained on my rides and commutes with the drink provided at the race (Heed).  When my aerobottle needed refilling, I refilled from the downtube bottle (just squirt it in through the hole in the 'sponge,' worked like a charm).  I put the empty bottle back in the downtube cage.  When I came up on an aid station, I threw the empty out, and grabbed a Heed bottle refill.  Did that once more on the ride.  That way, you're only carrying the weight of about 1 aerobottle full of liquid on your bike... 

Edited by sparco 2008-07-01 9:36 AM

2008-07-01 9:57 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Similarly, when I did my HIM it was with the aerobottle for water, and a downtube bottle with a 3-hour mixture of Perpetuem. Allowed me to take a periodic sip of nutrition washed down with water. Grabbed a water bottle at each exchange to refill the aerobottle.
2008-07-01 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
I have an aero bottle, the best purchase I have ever made. As stated earlier, 1/2 full for sprints, full for Oly's. For longer distances (I am doing IMLP) I am going to get a behind the seat also so I can carry 3 bottles total. Biggest advantages of aero bottles are 2 things... 1) You do not have te break aero to drink, but 2) This is the biggest and the least thought about... you actually drink! I worked transition at Clearwater 70.3 Worlds last year, was AMAZED at how many people rolled into T2 with 2 full water bottles hanging off their seats... Rode 56, drank next to nothing and carried 5 lbs of fluid the entire race for what??? When the straw is in your grille, you cannot help but drink.

Profile Design just came out with a solution for their "no top" bottle, the one with just the yellow mesh, it has a rubber cover that you can still easily fill on the fly. If you cannot find that and get the one with only the mesh, make sure you stretch the mesh out before you stick it in or it will pop out on the first bump. I did Chicago last year (very bumpy Lake Shore Drive), there must have been 1,000 of those yellow mesh things on the course, looked like a yellow mesh delivery truck flipped over

Happy Hydrating!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Drink or Seat post mount ? Rss Feed  

of 2