General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike vs. road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-06-18 6:35 AM

New user

Subject: Tri bike vs. road bike
Hey y'all.  I'm brand new to the whole tri thing and am becoming addicted more and more each day.  I'm about to go make a purchase on a bike.  I've been asking around about a road bike (sticking aerobars on it, etc.) or going with a tri bike.  What's your opinion? 

Edited by Texags06 2008-06-18 6:37 AM

2008-06-18 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1473375

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri bike vs. road bike
definetely tri bike. i have a specialized allez elite. raced in tris last year. this year i go a felt b2. WOW. much faster smoother and helps a ton on the legs for the run. good luck with your decision. plus the FELT looks so hot
2008-06-18 7:14 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
If I had the chance to go back to Feb. and buy a tri bike instead of a road bike I would def. go tri bike.  I bought the road bike because I wasn't sure I'd like tri's and I wanted to be able to do group rides.  Turns out I don't like group rides and I really like tri's.  May be looking for a way to add to the fleet next year.
2008-06-18 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids MI
Tri Bike ....Tri Bike !!!

• .........and then get a road bike, ................and a mountian bike .......... and a cycle cross bike ..........and a ..................

• sorry I think I have a problem
    2008-06-18 8:00 AM

User image

Master
    Lake Norman, NC

Here's the difference between the two:  On either bike, your hip angle should be around 90-degrees.  That's the optimum riding position that maximizes power and allows for the best endurance.  On a road bike, the frame's seat post is at an angle that points further back from the BB, about 70-degrees.  So you look like this...

As you can see, the rider is a bit more upright.  This is fine when you can draft off of another rider in front of you, but most triathlons are non-drafting.  So you have to get "aero" and that means flattening out your chest.  Not your back, your chest.  If you were to simply lower the handlebar height you would flatten out, but you would also compress that riding angle to less than 90-degrees and that would be uncomfortable.  So keeping that 90-degree angle that same, you ROTATE your entire position forward and down to this...

-----> 

You can see that your butt comes forward and higher and your head and shoulders are farther out in front over the front wheel.  THIS is the difference between a tri-bike and a road bike.  The frame geometry is different.  You can't add aerobars to a road bike and achieve the same without exceptionally long seat rails to get the seat farther forward.  See the comparrison below.

Just remember this:  A tri-bike isn't designed to be ridden upright.  It's a limited purpose-built bike for riding in the aero position to minimize drag.  It's not much good for anything else other than training and racing triathlons or time trials.  So consider this if it will be the one and only bike you own.  Not much good for commuting or group rides.

And the most important thing:  The choice for a bike starts and ends with FIT!  Have your price range and make an appt with your local bike shop that has several types of bikes that fall within that range.  Go there on a Saturday and be prepared to be there all day.  They'll measure you and custom fit you on 3-5 different bikes.  Then you go out and ride each one.  Come back, give the tech some feedback and have them tweak your positioning on each bike.  Then ride some more and repeat the tweaking.  When all of the bikes are dialed in as well as they can be, ride ride RIDE!  There will be one that stands out far and above the others.  The one that says, "I can ride this bike all day long and not get tired."  "This bike is so much more comfortable and faster than the others."  THAT'S the one you buy.  It doesn't matter what brand it is or what components it has or doesn't (componenets can always be changed out).  You pay full retail for the bike which includes the fitting and evaluation service and if you don't buy the bike, you pay the shop for the time they put into you for it all.

It took me 8 hours at Inside Out Sports and about 100 miles of riding to make my decision and it was the best and ONLY way I'll ever buy a bike (especialy a triathlon or racing bike).  Maybe I spent $300 more than if I bought it over the Internet but you know what?  The professional fitting and service and evaluation was worth FIVE TIMES AS MUCH!  And in the end, I know I've got the bike within my price range that best fits my unique body.

2008-06-18 8:18 AM

User image

Pro
    Melbourne FL
    Gold member

Depends, do you ride alone, with others, do you think you'll be doing group rides, etc.

Read this

and this

I started out on a MTB, went to a RB with aero bars (sold it) then purchased a TB when I decided I was going to do a HIM.  There are times I wish I had a RB again and since I turned in the car (lease) I just may get me one of those too!

2008-06-18 8:32 AM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    2008-06-18 8:56 AM

I have a road bike with aerobars. I will replace it next year with another road bike. Frankly, I think tri bikes are a marketing move by companies to sell higher priced bikes to really enthused recreational athletes. I'm not saying the aero position isn't faster, but you can approximate it well enough on a road bike, and no piece of expensive equipment is going to make up for training. That said, if you are only going to focus on triathlons and you test ride both and really like the tri bike, buy one. Just don't think it's something you HAVE to do to fit in or go faster.
    2008-06-18 8:57 AM

Veteran
    I am in the same boat as several of the posters above. Just got into doing triathlons and never had a bike. I bought a used Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. During last week's triathlon, I was getting smoked right and left during the bike portion by people on tri bikes. If I had it all over to do again, I would get a tri bike. Fuzzydog, that was an excellent explanation of the differences of the two bikes.
    2008-06-18 9:15 AM

Expert

Up until a month or two ago I would have had no opinion on this question.  But, after significantly increasing my cycling this year and riding 60 - 80 mile rallies on both a tri bike and a road bike, I have formed an opinion.

Drafting is illegal in triathlon.  This fact alone makes the answer a tri-bike.  If you're riding in a pack then that's a different story.  But if you are riding alone with the minimum distance between you and the person in front of you, then riding any distance is easier on a tri bike than it is on a road bike.  And that doesn't even count the advantage you will have on the run. 

2008-06-18 9:17 AM
    in reply to: #1473661

Master
    Lake Norman, NC

Just got into doing triathlons and never had a bike...  ...I was getting smoked right and left during the bike portion by people on tri bikes.

You weren't getting smoke because they had different bikes - It's because they've been training longer, may be stronger and/or lighter and are simply faster.  A professional on a fixie steel cruiser is going to smoke most MOP and BOP cyclists even if they're on a Cervelo P3!  It's only the two equal riders when in a non-drafting event, the one on the tri-bike will be faster over longer distances.

Engine comes first, then the bike style comes into play.

And for the record... it's BigfuzzyDOUG, not dog.  'Fatdoggy's' the dawg around here.  Wink

2008-06-18 9:41 AM

Veteran
    Bigfuzzydoug, sorry about the name mess up. You are absolutely correct about working on the engine first. My poor bike performance last weekend is definitely more a result of a lack of training and not the equipment. My focus had been more on the swim and run, but after last weekend, I am dedicating more time to the bike. It also seems to me that with the shorter swim and run distances/times, I can make bigger overall time improvements on the bike. I know that more time spent training on the road will have a bigger impact than riding a different type of bike. However, I am still "coveting my neighbors bike" though.
    2008-06-18 11:54 AM

I was in your same exact position and I bought a tri bike and have had zero regrets.

I've read a hundred threads on people who purchased a road bike and regretted it and are now saving up for a tri bike, or want to try and convert their road bike to be more like a Tri bike. 

I have yet to read once or hear of one single person who bought a tri bike and regretted it and then later bought a road bike. 

If you are going to do triathlons then by a tri-specific bike.  They are built for speed and the geometry is proven to save your muscles for running.   It's all about the tri bike!

2008-06-18 5:04 PM

New user

2008-06-18 5:23 PM
    in reply to: #1474276

Elite
    Armpit of Ontario

The BikeSportMichigan article posted earlier is a good start. Opinions are many, and the right answer is individual. If you will be serious about tris and tri training, then a tri bike is a good decision, however, it will not be as versatile as a road bike for other applications. There is buyer's remorse for those who jump into triathlon with both feet and then lose interest, and are left with a bike that isn't built for recreational riding.

Dream Chaser - 2008-06-18 12:54 PM  I've read a hundred threads on people who purchased a road bike and regretted it and are now saving up for a tri bike, or want to try and convert their road bike to be more like a Tri bike. 

I have yet to read once or hear of one single person who bought a tri bike and regretted it and then later bought a road bike. 

If you are going to do triathlons then by a tri-specific bike.  They are built for speed and the geometry is proven to save your muscles for running.   It's all about the tri bike!

It's because those who have lost interest in triathlon no longer post on triathlon forums.  A better reflection is checking forum classified ads, ebay and craigslist: lots of used tri bikes in "nearly new" condition; it becomes a passing interest for some. 

Even though my first real bike was a tri bike bought during my 1st season, I think it's irresponsible to make a generalized recommendation that a tri bike is best for everyone. Some good advice is to ride whatever bike you currently own for your first season: MTB, road, hybrid, whatever. If you're still serious after your first season, then the dilema comes into play, because even with some committment, a tri bike is still not for everyone, considering all aspects such as rider flexibility, local terrain, etc.

2008-06-18 7:31 PM

Veteran
    When I started with tri this January I already had a road bike with aero bars and I can go reasonably fast with it. But I really wished I had a tri bike even though I have never ridden one. Right now, I just dont want to put down the money...

2008-06-18 7:51 PM
    in reply to: #1475417

Sneaky Slow
    Herndon, VA,
    sty - 2008-06-18 6:23 PM

Even though my first real bike was a tri bike bought during my 1st season, I think it's irresponsible to make a generalized recommendation that a tri bike is best for everyone. Some good advice is to ride whatever bike you currently own for your first season: MTB, road, hybrid, whatever. If you're still serious after your first season, then the dilema comes into play, because even with some committment, a tri bike is still not for everyone, considering all aspects such as rider flexibility, local terrain, etc.

... and money!  which is why I am still on my roadie. 

I did my first season on a road bike, my second on the same bike with aerobars.  Next season will probably make the jump to a tri bike.  I've passed people on tri bikes, and they've passed me.  It's not "all about the tri bike" as someone said above.

I don't agree that someone who is brand new to the whole tri thing ought to run out and buy a tri bike.  I think for your first season, a road bike, possibly with aerobars, is your most versatile option, and one that is less inclined to end up on eBay should you decide triathlon is not for you.

2008-06-18 8:01 PM

Expert
    Southeast

How tall are you?  I've heard and read that some taller triathletes -- especially if they have relatively long torsos -- fit better on on a road bike with the handlebars swapped out for aerobars (not clip-ons, but entirely new handlebars).

Anyway, whoever said 'go to a good lbs and spend a day there' is 100% correct as far as I'm concerned.  I did the same, and I'm thrilled with the result (a road bike - but the point is the same, and I wasn't in the market for a tri bike at that time). 

2008-06-18 8:01 PM

Do you order fish at a steakhouse?

If you do, a roadbike will suffice. 

Otherwise, tri bike.

2008-06-18 8:19 PM
    in reply to: #1475618

Regular
    Hickory, North Carolina
    2 weeks ago I finally did it. I sold my road bike (been a roadie for 10+ years) and now ONLY own a tri bike. I do NOT regret it. Can still do the same courses with my tri bike and now I FLY on race day. I love it. Will never go back.  Have fun!
    2008-06-18 8:23 PM

I just recently started training for tri's and will be doing my first sprint this weekend. I went with a argon18 tri bike. I got a really good deal on it, and it fits very well. I'm in Okinawa Japan, and it was really hard to find a bike that is my size as i am 6'0. There happened to be a guy needing to sell his bike fast, and i got in for less than half its value with alot of extras. I've almost got the gears and body position figured out. The bike portion is 15k so thats not bad. 

2008-06-18 8:24 PM
    in reply to: #1473376

Master
    Chicago

stretchdew - 2008-06-18 6:37 AM definetely tri bike. i have a specialized allez elite. raced in tris last year. this year i go a felt b2. WOW. much faster smoother and helps a ton on the legs for the run. good luck with your decision. plus the FELT looks so hot

I would have to agree...tri bike all the way, and I would also have to agree that FELT is a sweet looking bike!

Edited by miami9296 2008-06-18 8:27 PM
    2008-06-18 8:27 PM

Expert
    Farmington, MI

I have absolutly no experience on bikes- period.  Just recreational up till last year when I did my first 3 sprint tris on a 10 year old Trek hybrid.  This past January I upgraded to a great road bike with aerobars, etc.  Considering I had no experience at all, it was the right choice for me.  I was passed by a girl on a tri bike for her first time during a race but she was swerving all over the place, I was really thankful for my road bike.  Granted, I haven't tried a tri bike, but I just don't think I would have been ready.  I'd also like to do some longer rides up to a century this fall, so I'm happy with my choice. 

Not posting to say that those who say "tri bike!" are wrong, just that I am a triathlete who does not regret my purchase of a very nice road bike. 

2008-06-18 10:18 PM

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    I bought a road bike first and I have no regrets. I do not even regret my hybrid that I got less than 1 year earlier though I am not sure how much I will use it again. My last half ironman I used the road bike over the tri bike? Why? because the weather was going to be bad and I did not want to be in a thunderstorm on a tri bike. I like always having that option. I will also admit I never noticed how many people do group rides on a tri bike until recently.

Ulimately its whatever bike gets you to bike more. If your not the best bike handler a roadie is a good option.
    2008-06-19 1:02 AM

Anchorage
    I bought a road bike when I got into the sport two seasons ago. Now I lust for a tri-bike and will buy one as soon as the wallet and my marital capital are sufficiently up to the task. Not sure I regret buying the road bike (Felt F-75 has been a good ride), but I ride for triathlon and I'd rather be riding a tri-bike.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike vs. road bike Rss Feed  

of 2