General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike vs. road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-06-19 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1475633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri bike vs. road bike
That was perfect!  And I do order fish at a steakhouse. 

2008-06-19 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1473375

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI

Check out the Cervelo Soloist, its both a road bike and A tri bike.  All you have to do is switch around the seat post.

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=SLT2008
2008-06-19 8:22 AM

At the level of most "beginner triathletes," a tribike might save you a couple of minutes over the course of a race, if you're lucky. Maybe you'll move up one spot in your age group. More likely you're talking about seconds... spending 50% more to save a couple of seconds makes no sense to me. Just buy some quick-laces for $10 and work on your transition times. You can get more road bike for your money (like a sweet carbon frame with better components), and ride more comfortably in groups, up hills, etc.. Of course, to many recreational triathletes (not including me), money is no option.

Spend your money however you like, but have no illusions about the bike making you faster! I think it's more about fitting in to the tri culture.
2008-06-19 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Texags06 - 2008-06-18 6:35 AM

Hey y'all.  I'm brand new to the whole tri thing and am becoming addicted more and more each day.  I'm about to go make a purchase on a bike.  I've been asking around about a road bike (sticking aerobars on it, etc.) or going with a tri bike.  What's your opinion? 

Going against the majority here, but I would not recommend a tri bike first. I know too many people who could only afford one bike and then complained because their tri bike wasn't suited well to the group rides they wanted to do, or because the tri bike "doesn't climb well," or "the roadies won't let them ride with them," or whatever. I would recommend a road bike with cilp-ons. If, in 2 years, you're still high on the tri, think about upgrading. I did it this way and was very glad I did.
2008-06-19 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
I would good with a road bike initially... cheaper.. once you decide that you're going keep doing this then get a tri bike..

i started with a trek1500 and now i have a felt s22 TT/TB... what a difference.

good luck
momo
2008-06-19 10:05 AM

Oops, I meant "money is no object" in the post above. I knew that sounded wrong.

2008-06-19 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1473438

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
slider - 2008-06-18 6:25 AM

Tri Bike ....Tri Bike !!!

• .........and then get a road bike, ................and a mountian bike .......... and a cycle cross bike ..........and a ..................

• sorry I think I have a problem

I know I've got the same problem. I've got the hardtail mtn bike, a new 'cross bike, and I'm shopping for a tri bike.

And to make matters worse, I'm heading to Whistler in two weeks for a little bit of freeride/downhill fun. My wife made me promise that I would not come home with a new bike!

And if I come across a good deal on a Ti road bike......

CC
    2008-06-20 11:01 PM

User image

Based on my limited experience, I believe that you can use and be competitive on either type. Your decision should be based on how you like to ride and how you intend to use it.

I did my first year of tri's on a mtb. I bought a tri bike this year and am very pleased.

My decision to buy a tri bike instead of a road bike really came down to just a few things...
    1) I always ride alone
    2) I prefer to be able to shift without getting out of my aero position
    3) My main interest and time with biking is pretty much limited to training for and competing in triathlons

If I go for a casual ride with my wife or pull my son in his trailer, I use my old mtb. Otherwise, whenever I ride, I'm either training or racing on my tri bike.
    2008-06-20 11:42 PM

User image

Expert
    Plano, TX

Do hockey players use figure skates?

I started off with a road bike, then added aerobars.  Eventually I got a tri-bike and I don't regret it for a minute.  By the time I was "hooked" by triathlon, I knew it was time to get a more race-specific bike.  Tri-bikes tend to be pricey and it can be a pretty stout financial endeavor.  You'll want to add a lot of things (swapping some out) as you refine and tailor your bike to you after you have purchased it...these are things to consider.  I won't personally be going back to a road bike.  My tri-bike works just fine in local group rides, 3,000+ rider rally's, riding alone, etc.  It also does okay on race day, when the engine is tuned up properly. 

Chris

2008-06-21 8:27 PM

My tri addiction began last July. I didn't want to spend alot of money at first so I purchased a reasonably priced road bike. After my first race I was hooked. Just last week I purchased my first tri-bike. On my very first training ride I beat my personal best training ride avg. by .6 mph with the same usual effort. When I get used to the aero position I expect this to rise even more. I love my new bike!!!! That being said I have no regrets about going with the road bike first. I can use it on group rides and will still train on it as well.
    2008-06-21 8:41 PM
    in reply to: #1479747

User image

livestrong - 2008-06-21 12:42 AM

Do hockey players use figure skates?

Well said.  I was a runner who wanted more.  I wanted to do triathlons, so i bought a Triathlon Bike.  Since all I know is a tri bike I can stay aero for 2+ hours straight with no problem, I am very good at handling in the aero posititon, and the geometry has saved my legs and made me competitive (top 20%) in every triathlon I've entered.  I know guys who have been riding road bikes for several years and I blow past them in races; so either I'm a natural or it's the bike.  And I'm going to vote:  it's the bike.  While they are sitting up, their weight over the center of the bike; I am aero, sleek, with 90% of my weight over the front of the bike pushing down the pedals effortlessly and I glide past roadies. 

For instance, If I sit up on my tri bike and pretend it's a road bike - I will really have to press to keep it at 20mph+, whereas on the same flat if I am in the aero position (atop the pedals) I am breezing along at 20mph+.  For me and from my experience this is fact.

Road bikes handle better, turn better, climb better.  But for straight ahead speed (especially in the wind) triathlon bikes are faster and more aero.  If you are serious about getting into triathlons, my advice is obvious

2008-06-21 8:43 PM

User image

Pro
    Simpsonville, SC
    I started with a mountain bike, then got a road bike, added clip on aerobars and then got a tri bike. Got rid of the mountain bike and am in the process of selling the road bike. I ride my tri bike all the time. Rode it in a group metric century today in the rain. Of course, I don't go on the aerobars in a group, but they did come in handy for the first 15 miles of the ride when I was in "no man's land" Bridged to another group that way. The answer to this question is personal preference. But if you are into triathlon, I would say go for the tri bike!

Pam
    2008-06-22 1:22 AM

User image

Master
    Portland, Oregon

To the OP - definitely look at what you want to do on a bike. If only tris, and you train all by yourself, and have lots of $$, then a tri specific bike may be for you.

I just bought a road bike. I'll probably buy aero bars soon. Triathlons are fun, but I wouldn't give up my group rides EVER and aero bars/tri bikes are not welcome in most groups.  I just started racing this season and it's a blast - but those with tri bikes and aero bars need not show up - they won't let you race. As far as tris go, the Oly course I'm doing in August is hilly, windy, and only has one 1/2 mile straight stretch that I remember.  Doesn't seem like a suitable course for what is essentially a time-trial bike. I will no doubt be proved wrong by a few people who will pass me on the bike section. I will drool over their Cervelos, but if someone handed me cash, there's plenty of other things I'd buy first.

I have way too many expensive hobbies. Triathlon is just one. I'd rather have a bike that is light, handles well, is geared well for my fitness, activities and personal geometry, and be able to spend more $$ on other things. It is way cheaper to work on the engine.

You can have the lightest tri bike in the world and put those new negative drag ZIPPS on it (drool!!!!)  but still not do as well as you'd like because your engine is just not in that good of shape. You'll still watch people pass you. Plus there's those other two legs to get through too. Would a trainer or swim coach for a year get you better times in them compared to the extra $$ spent on the bike? Just depends on where you need the most improvement.

Happy training!

2008-06-22 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
    Chatham, Ontario
    I just read an article that said that if you want to convert your road bike to a tri bike you can change the seat with a 'forward post'.

2008-06-22 10:36 AM

User image

Master
    St. Louis
    I will add my .02 to this post as well.

I personally think if you only have 1 bike with road tires, it should be a road bike. Especially if you are just getting into road riding and triathlon.

The road bike is much more versatile, and allows much better control of braking and shifting during rides. Road bikes handle better and are much better suited to normal training rides, for most people. (depends on where you live) If you are a novice road cyclist, having your hands by the controls at all times is invaluable to avoid accidents and to become more proficient with shifting and braking.

I personally have a road bike and a tri bike. I ride my road bike 90% of the time. The tri bike is well suited to triathlon racing, but thats really it. The road bike is much better for everything else. It climbs better, turns better, descends better, and accelerates faster. The tri bike, however, goes faster in a flat straight line.

I rode a road bike with tri-bars up until this year, and I managed very good bike splits. I recently rode my road bike in the Escape from alcatraz triathlon, and was very happy I left my tri bike at home. Andy Potts (winner of alcatraz) also rode a road bike during the race.

Fact is... you can have a road bike and use it for triathlon. Many many people do. The difference is, you cant really use your tri-bike for much beyond triathlon specific riding.

If you are 100% sure you are in LOVE with triathlon, and you really love riding a tri bike... get one. They have their benefits in the sport. Outside the sport, and even during training, I find my road bike to be MUCH more enjoyable.

Edit - Lastly... I dont reccommend "converting" your road bike to a tri bike by switching out the seat post and handlebars. I think it is in most people's best interest to keep the bike in road configuuration (with a good fit) and then just throw on a set of shorty aero bars. The road bike geometry overall cant just be converted by switching out a seat post... all the dimensions are different, from the top tube, seat stays, fork angle, head tube.. you name it.

Edited by ranger5oh 2008-06-22 10:40 AM
    2008-06-22 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
    Kinston, NC

This will always be a personal choice and some people will stake out a position to defend their choices.  That being said :

I raced my first tri on a mountain bike because that was what I was riding at the time.  I bought an entry level road bike and put aerobars on it.  I used that for half of the first season and all of the next 3 seasons.  Last fall I bought a tri bike and used it for the last race of the season and then so far this year in the first two races.  I am glad I changed, but I am glad I had the road bike for the first 3 + seasons.  I learned to ride road bikes, then switched to a tri bike.  For me the tri bike is better.  I am much more comfortable in the aero bars than on my hands.  That  being the case, the tri bike is more comfortable than the road bike.  My legs feel better on the run after the tri bike than after the road bike.   I can ride in a group if needed, but 99% of my rides are with one other person or by myself (which is how we race) so I am not worried about the group rides.

If I were you, I would get an entry level road bike and ride a lot and race a lot.  then in 2 or 3 years, if you are still interested (addicted) buy a tri bike.  You may decide that you don't like tris but like riding.  You may decide you don't like any of it. 

2008-06-23 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
    Chatham, Ontario
    I have purchased a road bike (and installed aero bars) and was second-guessing my choice (maybe I should have purchased a tri bike). So, I am really glad that there are people who believe that a road bike will do just as well in a race then a tri bike. My plan in only to do Sprints at this time, so its not like I need to perform Ironman times.

I watched the BT bike fitting video and was worried that my road bike was not giving me the aerodynamics I needed as my back is NOT flat at all.

I also found an article that suggested to convert the road bike to a tri bike by simply changing the seat post to a forward one. I am still not sure if this is the right way to go - but would be easier than buying a new bike.

Also, I have read that road bikes are great but for people who can rest after. A tri bike uses less quad which will allow you to run after. What do you guys think about that?
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike vs. road bike Rss Feed  

of 2