General Discussion Triathlon Talk » water bottle etiquette during a race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-18 9:41 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: water bottle etiquette during a race

During a longer race last year the event organizers handed out plastic watter bottles at the turn around point for the ride.  I grabbed the bottle and kept going & then found myself in a bit of a quandry.  Since I was already riding away from the person handing out water I didn't know what to do with the bottle after I drank the water.  I obviously couldn't carry it, but I didn't want to litter - particularly away from where the station was.

So what is the proper etiquette here?  It seemed to me that my options were:

1. stop, transfer the water into one of my empty bottles (stopping not a great option in the middle of a race)
  2. refuse the water and risk dehydration
  3. take the water, transfer it quickly & discard the bottle so that the aid station crew could find it and clean it up.

2008-06-18 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1473840

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: water bottle etiquette during a race

Option #3.

There is typically a trash drop zone within a few yards of the water-stop where you're supposed to drop the bottle.  If you drop trash past this point you could be penalized.

2008-06-18 9:53 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
cologuppy - 2008-06-18 10:41 AM

During a longer race last year the event organizers handed out plastic watter bottles at the turn around point for the ride.  I grabbed the bottle and kept going & then found myself in a bit of a quandry.  Since I was already riding away from the person handing out water I didn't know what to do with the bottle after I drank the water.  I obviously couldn't carry it, but I didn't want to litter - particularly away from where the station was.

So what is the proper etiquette here?  It seemed to me that my options were:

1. stop, transfer the water into one of my empty bottles (stopping not a great option in the middle of a race)
  2. refuse the water and risk dehydration
  3. take the water, transfer it quickly & discard the bottle so that the aid station crew could find it and clean it up.

#3 would be the best option. At longer races I would discard your empty water bottle and replace it with the bottle from the aid station. The other option would be to just put it in your tri jersey until you need it.

My choice is using a NeverReach.

2008-06-18 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1473869

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
They expect you to toss your old used bottles within the range of the aid station, so don't sweat it too much.  But try to stay somewhat close to the station when you dump it.  Littering comes into play when you do it a 1/4 mile + away ...... the environment is screwed up enough as it is!
2008-06-18 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
thanks gang.
2008-06-18 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1474068

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Like the others have mentioned....

I load my bike up with a couple bottles (behind the seat) that I don't care if I lose since I will be getting new ones.  I will throw the empties away just before an aid station (there is an area for that) - also make sure you throw it far away.  Nothing can ruin someone's day faster than crashing on a water bottle.

I grab the new one and put it in the cage.  I fill my earo bottle when I feel like it.  Then wait for the next aid station to discard the empty again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » water bottle etiquette during a race Rss Feed