General Discussion Triathlon Talk » re: Anybody doing Block Island Tri Sprint? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-21 8:51 AM

New user
Subject: re: Anybody doing Block Island Tri Sprint?

I'm doing the Block Island Tri as my first tri ever and looking for people who have done it or are going to be doing it as a newbie too. I'm very curious about the swim, the weather conditions out there (I haven't been to the island before) and the hills on the bike race.

2008-06-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1479866

User image

Regular
Southern Rhode Island

I am new to tri's this year also, never did the race but am some what familiar with the Island. The water will be much colder there than close to the mainland. Also depending on the wind direction and where the swells are coming from you could have big waves and swells at the beach.  The island has lots of rolling hills and some can be somewhat steep but they are short. Just remember what goes up must come down at some point. I might be doing it this year if my schedule allows me too.

Try to take an earlier ferry over and you can just take a leisurely bike ride around some of the course. It will help to stretch out your legs a bit.

Good Luck!

2008-06-30 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1498459

New user
I met some people at a party the other night and they sail around Block Island quite often. They said the water can be very cold and in general around 63 degrees. That's definitely cold! I swim in a pool at the Y and its 80+. What event will be your first Tri this year? Are you based in RI? Your comments about winds and swells is interesting. I didn't think about that. At this point I think I'm pretty much wearing a Triathlon wetsuit. Thanks for the post!
2008-06-30 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1498616

User image

Regular
Southern Rhode Island

My first tri this year (and at all) was the Ashland Lions Club Olympic Distance on June 15, Poured like a SOB most of the race and was 57 deg. Brrrr... Did pretty good though 156 out of 230.

Live and work in southern RI, my next race is the big one! the RI Ironman 70.3 on July 13. Hope to do the BI Race and the Lobsterman in Maine in Sept. Probably will run the Narragansett Lions Club 10 mile in the end of July.

The Beach at BI faces south east if the wind is coming from that direction it tends to produce big waves.  I have sailed a 18' Hobiecat to it and can be a little hairy trying to land.

2008-07-02 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1499987

New user
Wow, your first year doing Tris and you are doing a half IM! That's impressive. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » re: Anybody doing Block Island Tri Sprint? Rss Feed