General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and needing bike advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-20 11:19 AM

Subject: New and needing bike advice
I have been training for my first triathlon since last September. I am in the process of purchasing my first road bike and am not sure what to buy. I don't have an endless budget but I do want a bike that will work well enough to get me through my first couple of years at least. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2004-02-20 1:05 PM
in reply to: #8466

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Lara_SD 2004-02-20 1:06 PM
2004-02-20 1:49 PM

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: New and needing bike advice
For fit go to a good bike store and have them help. For everything else, opinions are like
a--holes, every body has one. If you want a good bike for the long haul, try to purchase one that is quality enough to have at least all shimano 105 grouping. Each level of bike comes with certain components. I have always had good luck with starting there. Certainly, from there the sky is the limit. Unless you are riding in mountains, you probably will not need a triple chain ring. I would go with a dedicated road bike. Don't worry about a tri specific bike till you are ready to committ big time and spend a lot. Just some of my suggestions. ;-)
2004-02-20 3:26 PM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Before you begin your quest to purchase your first road bike, decide how much money you can spend; deduct from that amount the cost of a helmet, gloves, shoes, jersey, and cycling shorts. Next, if there is more than one bike shop in town, ask around--the local bicycling club is a great place for such info--and find out which shop offers the best technical help and service. The most important thing to rembember when buying a bike is FIT! When you find a shop that can measure you for the proper fit go see them and get fitted. Most bike shops charge 50 to 100 dollars for this but if you buy a bike from them, that is rolled into the cost of the bike. And, Shimano 105 is a good component system but Tiagra and even the lower priced Sora are just as good.
2004-02-20 9:04 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Deb Hi, and I hope the Tri goes well.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and needing bike advice Rss Feed