General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st tri done....need advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-22 10:25 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Subject: 1st tri done....need advice

Completed 1s tri this weekend....Tolland, CT Summer Solstice Tri.  As I imagined, was tested mentally and physically and relished every minute on the course.   Finished 4th in my AG.  While the training got me addicted, I can now officially say this a lifetime hobby.  I can not wait until I get back on to the course to race again. 

While my post count is not high, i have been lurking here for quite some time and would like to thank everybidy who posts here b/c you have helped/inspired me immensly.  Thank you.

Couple of post race questions - All my swim training was done in a pool and I did not use a wetsuit in 65 degree water.  Had trouble with my breathing (I think b/c of nerves and cold) and never established the stroke I was used to in the water. 

Are there drills I can do in the pool to help any of the above or do I just need to do more OWS or races more to get used to it? 

Will a westuit help with the cold water breathing issues or is this mainly from nerves?

Have another race in a few weeks and appreciate any advice.  Thank you.

2008-06-23 3:58 AM
in reply to: #1482243

User image

Veteran
Lowestoft, England
Subject: RE: 1st tri done....need advice
The wetsuit helps me with the breathing as you don't feel the cold. The added bonus is I am a lot faster in a wetsuit.
2008-06-23 7:02 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Run, run away as fast as you can!Oh...too late for that advice...

A wetsuit will definitely help in 65F water, but it'll still feel like getting into 65F water (you'll have a thin layer of water between you and the wetsuit, and it starts out at the same 65F as the rest of the water).  Be aware that swimming with a wetsuit, even a tri-wetsuit, is different than regular swimming.  You'll be working against the wetsuit to breathe, and you may fatigue earlier in your arms/shoulders, so if you get one, practice before race day. 

To help with nerves, try these two things:
1)  swim laps with your eyes closed
2)  swim at "race-pace"  and practice swimming the first 100-200 yards deliberately slower than race-pace (maybe 10 seconds per 100 slower). 

The first will help with not having clear water and the black line to follow.  The second will help set your mental swim pace so race-day adrenaline and the crowd don't cause you to go out too fast. 

2008-06-23 7:07 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Congrats on finishing your first triathlon!! That is great!

A couple of things to think about.

The cold water definitely will impact your breathing during the swim. The more you swim in open water the better you will become at it, and that includes breathing and rhythm. I also do all my swimming in a pool, and can tell the difference when I am in OW. The OW swimming skills will come, but it takes time in OW to develop them.

A wetsuite will help make you faster in a number of different ways. First, it will make you more bouynt, so you will float better. Second, it will keep you warmer so it is easier to breath. If you get a wetsuite just remember to get several swims in it under your belt before the race. Plus, practice putting it on, and taking it off.
2008-06-23 7:17 AM

User image

Elite
Just knowing what to expect will help you a lot in your next tri. I'm a confident swimmer and wasn't ready for my first. Kicking people, getting kicked, not being able to see in the water, having to look straight ahead sometimes to see where you're going...ect. I don't remember what I expected, but I wasn't expecting that.

My second tri was much, much better. Especially in the swim. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st tri done....need advice Rss Feed