General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
Multirace
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 51s
Overall Rank = 354/737
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/18
Pre-race routine:

We (My Buddy and me) picked-up our Race Packages on Friday. I got the Bid# 245 and Powder Blue Cap (Finally NO PINK) and my Buddy the Bid# 246 and Yellow Cap...
Saturday: We washed/lubed/tuned bikes and put our Hed3C Wheels in our bikes (we only used them for the races) ...and...then prepared/packed all our stuff in the morning and relaxed around the pool. Took a good lunch (Lasagna). Took a nap at 2 pm for one hour...at 3 pm I did an easy 1/4 mile swim. Prepared our beverages and placed in the freezer and refrigerator. Took an early dinner (Macaroni & Cheese with FlanStake).
Loaded bikes and our bags w/stuff in our car before going to bed at 9:00 pm.
We woke-up at 4:45 am...Took breakfast: orange juce, small bowl of Macaroni & Cheese and my Soy Protein Shake (Chocolate) with my package of Multivitamins/Amino Acids/Glucosamine and Q-10.
Took our beverages in our coolers to the car and left around 5:15 am to Key Biscayne. We got there around 6 am...the 2 lines in the entrance of Crandon Park were not too long like usual...we got there early to avoid that. We went to pick-up our ships and body-marked. Got inside the Transition Area and started to prepare our stuff in the rack area...I placed my bike in the rack, helmet/sunglasses over seat and the AeroBottle with AminoVital in the braket in my Aero Bars, biking/running shoes with my hat, bid # belt and a bottle of frozen water under my bike at the grass. When everything was ready...I went to the bathroom for my usual dump before a race...then I did sit in a picnic table that was next to our rack...relax...I took a Hammer Gel (Espresso), 2 capsules of Endurolyte and 2 caplets of AminoVital with water/AminoVital drink...relax/closed eyes I did a visualization of the race...then I checked the exits/entrances in the Transition Area and where excatly was my bike. At 7:00 am we went to the Swim Start Area at the Beach with our goggles/caps/wax-ear plugs and other Gel and a bottle of water/AminiVital...
The morning was beautiful and sunny...but...you could feel that would be hot...During the Swimmimg and Biking was great but during the running was around 94oF...Ufff!!!
Event warmup:

At the Swim Start Area...I did some stretchings before to jump into the water The water temperature was perfect...not cold not hot around 83oF...I did an easy swim maybe 200 mts...came back to shore and again other 200 mts. easy swim. Went out and I took my other Gel with water/AminoVital...relax again...and...I did an easy and short running along the beach...relax till the race started...In time like usual...The Duathlon started at 7:30 and the Triathlon at 7:35. There were 7 waves, My Buddy was in the 2nd wave and me in the 6th wave (Females 40+/All Relay Teams/Athena/Females Fat Tire)
Swim
  • 08m 5s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

The Swim Course was a little different...not the usual rectangle...it was like an escalene triagle...swimming from south to north along the beach...
It was a good beginning...a very fast swim till the 1st Bouy and 2nd buoys but a little wide open in the right side of the 1st Bouy...after the 2nd Bouy I had an excellent swim...keeping a constant pace and applying my Total Immersion Technique without problem and drafting sometimes...
What would you do differently?:

Continue with my trainings...I know I'm doing great!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

It was an excellent transition I was the fastest (1st) in my Age Group like usual and 132 Overall...Just when I got in the Swim Exit Area...I started to run very fast and removing at the same time my cap/goggles and wax-ear plugs and put them inside the cap...We had to run about 200 or 300 yards from the beach to the Transition Area...I never stopped...I only got water before got inside the Transition Area to rinse the salty/nasty taste from my mouth...First put sunglasses/helmet and almost at the same time my biking shoes and run with my bike out of the Transition Area...but...Just when I was heading to the Bike Mount/Desmount Area...the leaders of the race(Boris Fernandez,Reinaldo Oliveira,John Reback and Andres Castillo Latorre and 2 other that I don't remember now...it was too fast) were just arriving all together...I was running in the right side of a long corredor in between the Exit/Entrance Bike and the Mount/Desmount Area...and it was very impressed to see them running with their bikes next to me just when I was leaving...

Continue practicing...
Bike
  • 33m
  • 10 miles
  • 18.18 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a good bike ride even we had some winds...winds coming from SSE at 10 to 15 mph...it was Ok...the challenge in this Bike Course is to climb twice the huge and high bridge "The Rickenbacken Causeway"...but just when you get at the top and you see the view of the City of Miami and you go down hill at 30 to 33 mph you get very motivate and excited...but..just down maybe 300 yards after the bridge you have to do an U-Turn and go back to clim again that bridge...Uffff!!! that bridge Kills your legs!!!...then when you get again at the top I said to me "that's all" now enjoy the down hill and go back to the Transition Area...but with some head/cross winds...When I got to the Bike Desmount Area out of the Transition Area...I did my usual bike desmount...like the Pro/Elites but keeping my shoes on...

Continue with my trainings...I know that I'm doing great and I have improved a lot with my new bike...
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Just when I desmounted my bike I ran very fast to my rack area...unfortunate there were 2 teeneagers from a Relay Team waiting their partner from the bike ride and they were blocking my way when I went to place my bike in the rack...I had to yelled them...Move Away!!! and I lost a valuable time I'm usually the fastest in my Age Group, this time I was 3rd and 174 Overall...removed biking shoes and put running shoes (my new running shoes Zoot Ultra Race) at the same time removing helmet...took my hat/bid# belt and bottle of water and ran very fast out of Transition Area and at the same time buckling my Bid# belt...

Continuing practicing...
Run
  • 26m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Just when I got out of Transition Area...I started running like usual in a good pace not too fast not too slow...I usually don't have problems adjusting my pace after the bike...and the first thing that I did was to drink water from my bottle and tossed over my head and upper-body...at that moment I could felt the heat...it was hot...94oF. When I was running to the 0.5 mile mark where we had to do a U-turn...just after the U-turn... I saw a good girlfriend of mine of my Age Group coming opposed to me and after her other friend that is most faster than the first one...both are usually one of the fastes in our Group...I started to push hard...buy I knew she was coming behind me and when she passed me and at the same time the other friend passed us...and I kept behind of my good girlfirend drafting for almost 1.25 miles...but then...I couldn't keep her pace...the heat started to affect my running...the problem was not my legs...they were responding well...but...I felt the heat in my upper-body and head...my arms were like heavy logs...but even all...I knew I was doing good that I was in the top 5 till I get in the last water station in the mile 2...just when a volunteer gave me 2 cups of water and tossed over my head and uper-body and drink some...a woman passed me and for me was a familiar face I was not sure...and...I started to push more hard...and just 1/2 mile before the Finish Line I reached/passed my best girlfriend she is usually the fastest in the bike in our Age Group...everytime that I reach/pass her...make me feel very motivated to run and re-finish at 100% effort till the Finish Line and at that point I heard my Buddy cheering/yelling me...I didn't know where he was I was too focused in my re-finish run...but it was great to hear his yellings...Unfortunate the woman that passed me in the last water station got 5th place and me 6th...for only 1 minute...Damn!!!

My Age Group 45-49 and the Age Group 40-44 are very strong and competitive Groups....1 Woman in my Age group got 3rd Female Overall and other 2nd Female Master Overall...and
in the Age Group 40-44...one got 1st Female Master Overall and other 3rd Female Master Overall...

Continue with my training and push a little more in my running trainings before these Trilogy...I know these one are usually more competitive than others.....
Post race
Warm down:

Just when I passed the Finish Line...the volunteer gave me a bottle of water and other took out my ship and I waited for my best girlfriend she was behind me for only 6 seconds...but...unfortunate she was penalized with 2 minutes in the bike and she got 9th place.
Then we went to the water/fun kid area where all the Triathletes usually cool-off..It's really cool...it's like a fountain...I will take pics next time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I know...No excuses...but...I think the heat affect me a little...and some seconds in the transition area when the teens blocked my way to place my bike...

Event comments:

Excellent Race...all Organization, in time like usual, volunteers, etc...etc.
I have done this Trilogy Series 3 times and this is my 4th year...and...I will do it again...and I recommend it to everybody...

Last updated: 2008-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:05 | 400 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 441/737
Performance: Good
Suit: Not Wet-Suits allowed
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:00 | 10 miles | 18.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 406/737
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:34 | 03.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 310/737
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 11:38 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1

2008-06-23 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1483377

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1

You write a great race report- lots of fun to read

You had a great race and your transitions are fast- that is great (except when people get in your way!). I know all about the heat, but you get the humidity too! It is so easy to get hot on the run, you did the right thing- pour water on yourself!

Sounds like a really fun series of races, you are going to do great at all of them!   

2008-06-24 11:08 AM
in reply to: #1485080

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
riorio - 2008-06-23 10:17 PM

You write a great race report- lots of fun to read

You had a great race and your transitions are fast- that is great (except when people get in your way!). I know all about the heat, but you get the humidity too! It is so easy to get hot on the run, you did the right thing- pour water on yourself!

Sounds like a really fun series of races, you are going to do great at all of them!   

Thanks you Sally...for all your support...!!!! 

2008-06-24 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1483377

User image

Regular
Excellent Jov and GREAT report!

FR
2008-06-25 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1486558

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

feliperubio - 2008-06-24 1:01 PM Excellent Jov and GREAT report! FR

Thanks you Felipe...!!!

See ya ...next one Trilogy#2

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed