General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Schedule - Bike Based on Time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-23 3:44 PM

New user

Subject: Training Schedule - Bike Based on Time
I have been following a training schedule for an Olympic distance triathlon for about 7 weeks now. This will be my first Olympic distance race. This morning during my bike workout I got nervous that I'm not going to be prepared enough for the bike portion of the race. For the schedule I'm following the run and the bike workouts are based on time. The longest bike workout is 2 hours and the schedule only calls for that once. Based on my current speed and since I'm using a hybrid bike and not a road bike, it is going to take me about 2 hour to finish 24 miles. Should I alter the training schedule to increase my time on the bike? Should I have multiple training sessions where I cover at least the race distance if not more? What is the peak distance I should have under my belt before the race?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2008-06-23 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1484284

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Training Schedule - Bike Based on Time

There is a school of thought that training by time is the best way to go.

I much prefer training by distance becuase races are not based on time. 

To answer your question, if your race distance is close to 24 miles (like 25 or 26) I'd follow your plan as is and not mess with it.  Assuming it's a quality plan, it will get you to the finish line just fine. 

BTW, you might think about logging your workouts.  You'd get some better advice by having someone look over your training.

2008-06-23 9:44 PM

User image

Champion
in cycling distance in training is often a very very poor tool unless you know what to do with it.

for example, telling someone to go ride x miles can mean two very diff things in diff areas. for example, at home, i can ride 20 miles in under an hour with no issue at a training pace. at school that same ride would take easily an hour and a half. both solid training rides, but one has a lot more hills/turns etc. because of this i train by time in cycling.

that being said, if you are doing the bike on a hybrid, you are needing to possibly get out there a bit more (simply because on a road bike or whatever, your times would take you further in the race). not a ton more, but a small bit.

hope that helps and feel free to send me a message if you have more questions. would be happy to help
2008-06-23 9:48 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'd go the distance minimum of 3-4 times and would be happier to go about 30-32 miles once.

I'm training for IM and often plans have longest rides 5 hours...well 5 hours won't get me to 112 miles. I do the distance so I know I can...my body can handle it.

Often when training plans are designed for general it isn't quite right for a specific person. Most folks do Oly bike in under 90' I'd guess so a 2 hour ride is over the typical distance. You have unique situation so I'd suggest adapting and adding time to your long bike of the week not the number of sessions. 

Key is to trust yourself and from your post seems like you want to go longer to gain confidence. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Schedule - Bike Based on Time Rss Feed