General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new help picking bike for first triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-25 6:57 PM

Subject: new help picking bike for first triathlon

Hey guys,

So I'm training for my first triathlon, and it's going to be a sprint and I need a bike.

I've narrowed it down to two options and rode them both and I like them both, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on which would be a better bike.

Also, one is a hybrid and one is a road, and I wasn't sure if that should influence my decision at all.   I think it would take me some time to get used to the road bike because you are crouched over more (and I plan on getting a new seat if I get that bike, b/c it's not that comfortable), but it's nothing that I thought was a huge problem...but I had talked to someone in the shop who insisted I get a hybrid for my first bike...so I'm not really sure.

The hybrid is:

http://thebicyclechain.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=1261

and they road is:

http://fujibikes.com/2008/bikes.asp?id=411#

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

~Jacquie 

2008-06-25 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1490511

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: RE: new help picking bike for first triathlon
I'm a tri newbie, so definitely no expert on the topic...but personally, I would go for the road bike. Simply because you have more options for hand placement on a road bike vs a hybrid with flat bars. Regarding the uncomfortable seat on the road bike...I wouldn't change it right away. Ride it for awhile, put some miles on it...you may find that after riding it for longer than a "test ride"...that the seat is just fine for now. You may just need time for your butt to get used to the narrower and firmer saddle on the road bike. You definitely do NOT want to put a soft and cushy saddle on a road bike...that will cause problems, for sure. The other thing with a road bike is...if you decide to stick with doing triathlons...the road bike will be easier to modify into a tri bike, by adding aerobars and possibly then, a different saddle. Of course, this is all JMO.
2008-06-25 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
A road bike on this is a no brainer. Yes they are less comfortable. Yes you will want a new seat. It will still take you a dozen rides to get your butt used to the seat.

Road bikes are geared much faster than hybrids, and place you body in position to be much faster.

Hybrids are fine bikes, but not for going fast or doing triathlons.

Your bike shop employee is either a moron, knows nothing about tri's, or makes a bigger commission on the hybrids.

Hybrids for comfort road bike for speed. And tri bikes are faster, and less comfortable than road bikes, but no need for that at this point.
2008-06-25 10:50 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

I'd also say go with the road bike.  I can't imagine what the employee was thinking in recommending a hybrid.  They are neither fish nor fowl, and are really best reserved for city commuting (if that, even). The road bike will work for road rides and tri's just fine.  A mtn bike is better for trail riding.  You should get used to the position fairly quickly, and be a lot faster than you would being upright on a hybrid, increasing your wind resistance.

2008-06-26 6:42 AM

Alright...the road bike it is.

Thanks for the help!!!! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new help picking bike for first triathlon Rss Feed