General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GI issue last race: most likely cause? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-25 9:05 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: GI issue last race: most likely cause?
The syptoms occured about mile three or so:  burping up gel, thought I was going to puke multiple times but eventually able to mitigate with some water about 40 mins later, though then some tunnel vision.  Bike was Infinit and 4 gels which came out to about 360 cals, Succeed tabs on the hour of the event (HIM distance) and pushed pace a bit more.  Just curious is not wanting to keep things down a symptom of too many cals, pace or mixing too much.  This nutrition has worked in other races where the pace was a bit more casual.  Just looking where to refine for the next race.  Tons better than cramps and full out dehydration though.

2008-06-26 6:49 AM
in reply to: #1490721

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: GI issue last race: most likely cause?

jszat - 2008-06-25 9:05 PM The syptoms occured about mile three or so:  burping up gel, thought I was going to puke multiple times but eventually able to mitigate with some water about 40 mins later, though then some tunnel vision.  Bike was Infinit and 4 gels which came out to about 360 cals, Succeed tabs on the hour of the event (HIM distance) and pushed pace a bit more.  Just curious is not wanting to keep things down a symptom of too many cals, pace or mixing too much.  This nutrition has worked in other races where the pace was a bit more casual.  Just looking where to refine for the next race.  Tons better than cramps and full out dehydration though.

Same gels used in the past?  Was the weather warmer/more humid than normal?  A change in your activities within 2 days prior to that race?  Did you feel that you pushed harder than the last races (oops, noted that I just noticed your casual pace reference above)?

I "porked out" about 10 minutes before a training run by eating 2 plain hotdogs, 1/2 PB sandwhich, 4 oz juice, and something else (banana?) before a run the other day and that caused a little bit of GI issues, since I normally don't do that.

2008-06-26 7:01 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
jszat - 2008-06-25 9:05 PM The syptoms occured about mile three or so:  burping up gel, thought I was going to puke multiple times but eventually able to mitigate with some water about 40 mins later, though then some tunnel vision.  Bike was Infinit and 4 gels which came out to about 360 cals, Succeed tabs on the hour of the event (HIM distance) and pushed pace a bit more.  Just curious is not wanting to keep things down a symptom of too many cals, pace or mixing too much.  This nutrition has worked in other races where the pace was a bit more casual.  Just looking where to refine for the next race.  Tons better than cramps and full out dehydration though.
I would guess the answer is somewhere in the middle.
2008-06-26 7:15 AM

User image

Elite
Did you take the gels with plain water or with Infinit.  I can't take gels with anything other than water or I get into some trouble.
2008-06-26 7:18 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT

It sounds like you've got too many chefs in the kitchen! 

In all seriousness, I'm surprised you haven't had more problems in the past with the combination you are using.  Here's why.  Infinit and gels both are semi-simple sugar based nutrition sources that singularly, can be broken down within 20 minutes or so once inside the stomach.  When introduced together, though, your stomach's digestive enzymes are unable to prioritize which nutrition source to break down first.  Until the osmolality (ratio of water to solids) is adjusted to allow for easier digestion, your stomach becomes bloated and acts like a washing machine with so much nutrition sloshing around and around.

I would suggest committing to either Infinit or gels and make sure you are consuming another 3-4 ounces of water with every serving of nutrition.  This way, you will allow your stomach to easily process one sugar source and do so quickly with a good mix of water to accelerate digestion.  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GI issue last race: most likely cause? Rss Feed