General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies Only..Can you help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-26 2:53 PM

Subject: Ladies Only..Can you help?
Okay guys, if you thought you would check this one out, read with caution as this may not be the thread for you.

I am sord of new to all of this and a few months back came here to find a walk/run program to get me started with running. I seem to do really well with my training and have energy during the month to do my workouts EXCEPT for "that time of the month". During that entire week, I drag and feel drained and that is when I fall off of my schedule because before I would just not do my workouts during that time of the month and try to get back on track after I am done. This month I thought I would try to do my walk/run and on Tuesday I went out and had an awesome walk/run which was the 18 min. walk and 12 min. run. Today I went out and forced myself to do a 15 min walk with a 15 min run and could only get through 2 sets of the 5 min run and then I felt sick to my stomach, felt drained and fatigued and felt like my head was going to explode when I got home.

I took yesterday off of my training cause I was wore out and tired and then today I cannot do the entire workout, so I ran the 10 mins and walked the 20 mins.

So my question to all of you ladies who have been around for a while, how do you get over the monthly hump? How do you have the energy to continue during that week of your cycle when you just feel like crashing? Do you do something different than you normally do during that week than you would the rest of the month?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have been trying so hard to keep going consecutively but I just get stuck during that one week and then fall behind in my training.

Thanks,

Angel76

2008-06-26 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1492697

User image

Expert
central Iowa
Subject: RE: Ladies Only..Can you help?
Does the plan that you're on, have three build weeks and one recovery week?  If so perhaps you could have the recovery week coincide with that time.  That way if you are feeling sluggish or need to skip a work out, you won't miss one of your key workouts.  Moving around actually makes me feel better when I'm all crampy.
2008-06-26 3:30 PM

I sometimes get hit REALLY hard with fatigue during "that time". Sometimes, I will take a day to simply sit on my a$$ and rest. Running usually sucks, but I can generally force myself to bike and swim. Swimming usually feels good. Also, I try to make sure I drink plenty of water and get PLENTY of sleep. That helps.
2008-06-26 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
Any chance your cycle causes you to be amemic?  I had this problem back when I had a cycle (Depo now). 
2008-06-26 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1492874

hnygren - 2008-06-26 3:43 PM

Any chance your cycle causes you to be amemic? I had this problem back when I had a cycle (Depo now).

I am actually anemic and have a thryoid issue..Which the thyroid is one of the reasons I decided to start running so that I could try to lose the weight I had gained. I do take iron pills when I am feeling sluggish. I use to take 3 of them a day 350 mg each one but then once I found out I had a thryoid condition and got that somewhat figured out, my iron level has been the best it has ever been.

So when my cycle hits, both of these have a major impact on my workouts.

2008-06-26 3:55 PM
in reply to: #1492729

cami bee - 2008-06-26 3:02 PM

Does the plan that you're on, have three build weeks and one recovery week? If so perhaps you could have the recovery week coincide with that time. That way if you are feeling sluggish or need to skip a work out, you won't miss one of your key workouts. Moving around actually makes me feel better when I'm all crampy.

The plan that I am on is the couch to 5K in 4 months so with that program there is no recovery time so I usually end up missing a week of this program and start where I finished before my cycle and continue..So what is suppose to take me 4 months to complete has taken me longer as I should actually be done with this program at the beginning of July but now I am a ways off. I had some illness when I first began the program so did not do anything for a couple weeks or so, then finally got back on the program but then with my cycles it pushes me back another week...

It isn't so much that I cramp that bothers me, it is feeling sick and drained when I start the workout..Like today, I was looking forward to my run and was not having to really force myself to do it, but then half way through it hit me like a brick wall and I just could not recover in my 5 mins to do my last 5 min. run.

2008-06-26 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA

I drink Dong Quai tea for hormonal-related fatigue. It doesn't seem to help much with my cramps and bloating (for which I take Ibuprofen, which works just fine), but it does pick me up quite a bit when I'm feeling all blah. I drink 2-3 cups a day before my period and during the first few days.

Dong Quai is also an ingredient in the women's vitamins I get from Trader Joe's.

I have a pretty heavy cycle so on my first two days I normally cut my workouts short or do yoga as it is.

2008-06-26 5:48 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
My 2 cents?  How is your diet at that time?  If you crave a lot of junk food and give in to those cravings you aren't helping with the issue.  I found that when I started eating clean all the time those monthly cravings went away.  The chocolate craving is for Magnesium--I craved SPINACH once I started eating clean.  Can't get enough of the stuff!  Salt craving is harder but it does make you retain fluid and feel bloated which will add to the sluggish feeling.
2008-06-27 10:38 PM

User image

North Georgia
I struggled with this when I was doing my couch to 5K training program. I just DID NOT feel like I could run during that week of the month. I did some research online and found an article that said that hormonally and energywise, the week before women get their period is actually when women athletes perform the worst (I don't know if it is true but it is what I read). Anyway, I just decided that each morning before my run, I would eat a bananna, drink some water, take two ibuprofin and to the best of my ability, forget that it was that time of the month. It wasn't a cureall for how I felt but did improve my training somewhat.

Wishing you the best!
Andrea
2008-06-28 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1495861

Flxliner Pilgrim - 2008-06-27 10:38 PM

I struggled with this when I was doing my couch to 5K training program. I just DID NOT feel like I could run during that week of the month. I did some research online and found an article that said that hormonally and energywise, the week before women get their period is actually when women athletes perform the worst (I don't know if it is true but it is what I read). Anyway, I just decided that each morning before my run, I would eat a bananna, drink some water, take two ibuprofin and to the best of my ability, forget that it was that time of the month. It wasn't a cureall for how I felt but did improve my training somewhat.

Wishing you the best!
Andrea

I tried to do similar to what you did as far as the mind set and just going into it not even thinking of it being that time of the month and this time it just did not help. I usually do my runs after work as I work 6am till 2:30 pm so since I work from home I have a routine of doing my run as soon as I get off of work (which is a great stress reliever). I have actually found that the week before I have my best workouts as my run and my bike go really well but just the week of my cycle is when I struggle the most and then get completely out of whack on my workouts.

Thanks for the info and glad to know that I am not the only one that is struggling with this. This is my first time ever doing any type of running as I was not a sports person growing up. So this whole running thing is new to me.

Spring
2008-06-30 6:45 AM
in reply to: #1496093

User image

North Georgia
Yes. All that I said about forgetting about it (which is what I try to do), I still have missed 3 days workout this week ;-) . Great job with the couch to 5 K program. I have never been athletic or even run more than the forced mile that we had to do in gym class as a kid and at 36 years old I started a couch to 5K program. I was shocked at how figuring I could never run, in just 10 weeks I was running 5K! Keep it up! You are doing great!

2008-07-06 3:08 PM

CHOCOLATE! : ) serisously it's the kind of thing I just have to push through! one thing that really helps me is to find a training partner then i feel obligated to do it with them! but back to the chocolate thing... if it is something that you crave... give into it (in moderation of course) and if you are like me a swear off sweets during the season the new cliff hot chocolate replacement drink is a great way to get you fix while still staying on track! good luck! and don't get too down about it... know we are all dealing with it at some point!

2008-07-07 7:37 PM
in reply to: #1498198

Flxliner Pilgrim - 2008-06-30 6:45 AM

Yes. All that I said about forgetting about it (which is what I try to do), I still have missed 3 days workout this week ;-) . Great job with the couch to 5 K program. I have never been athletic or even run more than the forced mile that we had to do in gym class as a kid and at 36 years old I started a couch to 5K program. I was shocked at how figuring I could never run, in just 10 weeks I was running 5K! Keep it up! You are doing great!

Thanks for the encouragement! It is nice to know that I am not alone out there.. Having never been athletic in my life and picking up running at this time of my life I never saw possible, but I am accomplishing it slowly..

Thanks again for the encouragement and I will just keep on pushing myself to make it through.

Spring
2008-07-09 1:25 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I usually end up taking a couple of extra days off during that week.

Especially the first couple of days, since I am usually really tired and I feel like crap.

Just do as much as you can, if you're tired back off.  I find it's better to rest or do an easier workout - if I push then I get what happened to you- then I REALLY feel like crap.

I find taking a good multi-vitamin helps as well and some extra iron. 

2008-07-09 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I just try to go easy on myself and realize my body isn't going to perform as well that week.  Nothin' you can really do about it...it is what it is!

Like others have said...if you can plan your recovery week around it that's good.  If not...do the best you can!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies Only..Can you help? Rss Feed