General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iPod Shuffle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-20 1:15 PM

Veteran
SF soon!
Subject: iPod Shuffle
My new toy has arrived. My preliminary thoughts: this thing is the coolest gadget I've seen in a while. I find it hard to justify using my regular iPod now. This thing is ultralight! The Shuffle comes with a pair of standard earphones and a lanyard that goes around your neck.

I can honestly say that I like this toy far, far more than my MyFi portable satellite radio. More detailed review to follow. Just had to share my excitement!

Edited by adventuress 2005-01-20 1:15 PM

2005-01-20 7:21 PM
in reply to: #106257

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: iPod Shuffle
Thanks for posting your initial thoughts. I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these, can't beat the price. Anything about it you don't like?
2005-01-20 7:59 PM
in reply to: #106449

Veteran
SF soon!
Been thinking about that very question... And honestly, the only thing I could think of is that I should have purchased the 1GB model. I have not seen/experienced any downsides thus far. This unit is extremely user friendly. You'll need to run the installation CD first before plugging in the Shuffle for the first time. After that, it's the very example of Plug & Play.

And contrary to what most people think, you actually have the option of picking and choosing the music you transfer from iTunes. Alternatively, if you don't want to "manage" your file selections, there's an option for the Shuffle to update itself with new music every time you plug it in the USB port. As far as Play options - you have two modes - continous play or shuffle.

I wore mine on the treadmill tonight with the lanyard, like a necklace. It's realllly light, it hasn't skipped once, and the interface is really intuitive to use. And most people who have seen it can't believe it's an iPod. It's literally the size and weight of one of those cheapo plastic cigarette lighters.

Edited by adventuress 2005-01-20 8:01 PM
2005-01-21 8:59 AM

Veteran
SF soon!
I forgot to mention... the Shuffle is a *very* basic MP3 player. Don't expect bells and whistles because this iPod doesn't have any. For instance, it does not have the capability of organizing songs into Playlists. I dragged one of my iTunes playlists into the Shuffle and although it copied all of the songs, it didn't segregate the playlist into its own grouping. It doesn't have a Sleep feature nor a battery level indicator. I just plug it back to the USB port to recharge every time I'm done.

I have not found the lack of Playlist feature a nuisance so far. I use the Shuffle primarily for running and lifting so most of the songs housed in it right now are fast tracks. The main selling point of this iPod is that it's very light (have I mentioned that yet?) and it's tiny! It doesn't interfere with any of my movement while training, which I've found to be a problem with my armband or waistband MP3 carriers.

At any rate, all things considered, this is still the best $99 I've spent in a long time.
2005-01-23 4:15 PM

User image

New user

Istanbul
It's good to hear that you liked it. I've just told a friend who lives in Philly to bring me one of those 512mb ones once she comes back to turkey in 6 weeks time. I don't think I'll need the 1gb one since I'll be using this thing only on training sessions and 512mb oughta be enough for that.

Is the lanyard comfortable? I'm worried the thing might swing and get on my nerves while I'm running. So I've also ordered the armband, but if the lanyard is comfortable when running, then the armband is another $30 I'd rather not spend
2005-01-23 4:58 PM
in reply to: #107412

Veteran
SF soon!
I've shortened the lanyard a bit (tied a knot in the back) so the Pod doesn't get all over the place while I run. Also, I've tucked it inside my workout shirt, which seems to work well. I don't like wearing an armband when I lift because it seems to interfere when I do moves that incorporate biceps.

How's training in Istanbul? I've always wanted to visit.

2005-01-23 5:36 PM
in reply to: #107435

User image

New user

Istanbul
hmmm,
I like the knot idea. tucking in probably wouldn't work for me though, getting the ipod wet with sweat doesn't sound good to me
I think I'll just get the armband, looks like it's going to be more comfortable when running and spinning. If it gets in the way of lifting, which I don't do that often, I can always use the lanyard.

I actually live a little outside istanbul. I just moved here few months ago and training is really good except for swimming. There is a cool gym in the campus with an indoor track and all, not to mention the tracks in the nearby woods. but supposedly the founder of the university before he died said not to build a pool on the campus, so I'm still looking for a decent indoor pool around here...

May to early June and late August to September (or even October if you don't mind some rain) is the best time to visit istanbul. It's too hot in high summer and too cold and wet in the winter.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iPod Shuffle Rss Feed