General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Koz Enterprises
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 17s
Overall Rank = 45/210
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up early (4:30 a.m.); quick shower and put o the race uniform. Went to the race (bike was already racked from day before). Mounted the Garmin and turned it on; ate 1/2 a bagel and some water. Walked around the transition are and talked to some people until about 6:00. Got the wetsuit half way on and walked over to watch the pro-stat(unbelievably fast). The next several waves went off and then it was time to get in the water at about 7:20.
Event warmup:

Got into the warm ocean water (my first OWS in the ocean). Did a lap or 2 to the swim start and back to the shore to warm up. Went out to the start and treaded water for about 2.5 minutes until the horn went off.
Swim
  • 07m 45s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not sure how I did because split times are not available yet. I felt good and swam very well considering this was only my fifth OWS. I started in the back left of the pack and took off when the horn blew. Before I knew it I looked up and we were rounding the buoy to make the turn and over 1/2 way done. I kept telling myself to relax and did not feel like I over did the swim. once we turned into the last shot of the course we met up with the international group. From that point it was all bodies and there was no point trying to pass anyone since there were too many people and not enough room. Considering it was my 1st ocean swim, first triathlon and 5th OWS, I think I did really well.
What would you do differently?:

Start more towards the front as James recommended. I really could have gone much faster with the swim and think if I had started in better position I would have finished faster. For my first one I have no complaints.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

This was all over the place. First, I got out of the water and did not immediately start to remove my goggles and cap. Second, I decided I needed socks for the bike and run which probably added another 30-45 seconds to my transition. Third, my gearing was all wrong coming out of the transition. Fourth, my wetsuit got stuck on my ankles.

Maybe not wear a wetsuit. My guess is that the water temp was probably somewhere around 70 degrees which is way warmer than any pool I practice in and I probably could have gotten by without a wetsuit. I saw alot of the pros with 2 piece suits and I might look into that and maybe just wearing a top with the next race. I would definately start to remove my cap and goggles as I started the transition. I was already to the bike area out of the water before I realized my goggles and cap were still on. Finally, I need to get better bike shoes and run without socks. This took way to long to transition and probably cost me first in my age group.
Bike
  • 42m 59s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.35 mile/hr
Comments:

The course started out pretty quick for the first mile and then started a climb for the next 5 miles with some rolling hills in between. Since I have been training at the lake the climb was fair but not too hard (nowhere near the 8% grades I am used to). The road conditions completely sucked and I am certain there are no worse roads in SD than the ones they had us ride. I was pretty fast uphill and did not really have to push that hard. The turns were sharp and a little difficult at the end since they were sharp and you had to dodge the large potholes.

GET AERO BARS ASAP. My downhill speed sucks (avg 28-30 mph) and I know I could have gone faster with aerobars. I ride a road bike which is great for the climbs but difficult to get aerodynamic and push my downhill speed. I probably could have pushed this part a little faster especially uphill. Not knowing the course this year was also a disadvantage.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Much faster transition but I was going way too fast from the bike into the transition and had to come to a complete stop to get off the bike before the dismount line. Racking the bike was awesome and fast and I slid on my shoes took and drink and ran out of the transition no problem.

Go a little slower into the dismount area and get off the bike a little smoother.
Run
  • 29m 15s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt FAST on the run. I passed at least 1 person in my age group, several people doing the international distance and stayed with the top 2 male sprinters until the last 1/2 mile. I was never passed on the run which was awesome. Garmin did not work so I had no idea how my time was.

RUN FASTER. I know I could have pushed this distance faster than I did. Although, I never got passed by anyone and could not see any other women in front of me so I didn't think there was any reason to kill myself doing this one. Also, I would turn on my Garmin before the run. It was hard not to know my pacing so I just went with how I felt which was relaxed (breathing was a little hard) but not too difficult.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished and wandered through the exit area. Wandered around the finishing area and waited for results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A couple things - 1) first triathlon so just feeling confident will help for the next one; (2) socks are a NO - don't need them for the short distance and they take too much time to put on; (3) course familiarity - the next race (Solana Beach) is a course I know so I am hoping for a better finish; (4) a good night sleep - I'll admit I was a little nervous last night and had a hard time sleeping and did not get much sleep

Event comments:

Kudos to KOZ Enterprises. This was one of the most organized events I have ever been a part of. They did a great job with just about everything on race day. The only small criticism I have is that they need better directions for those coming from out of town for the expo. We drove around for about 1/2 an hour trying to find the parking lot. If you are not familiar with San Diego or the area, getting to and from this event could be difficult. Overall however, I would highly recommend this event and will probably be doing it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-12-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:45 | 547 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 36/210
Performance: Good
Suit: X-terra wetsuit
Course: Rectangular course marked with buoys; clockwise swim
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:59 | 12.43 miles | 17.35 mile/hr
Overall: 69/210
Wind: Some
Course: This was a "hilly" course from the beach to Cabrillo National Monument and back.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:15 | 03.73 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 36/210
Course: Flat course (pretty sure same course as America's Finest City Half Marathon which I have run twice). Not a closed course so part of the way dodging tourists. Good scenery right along the ocean.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-29 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course

2008-06-29 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1497333

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course
Great race. Impressive time and seeing that it was 70 out it was probably like being in Alaska for you.
2008-07-01 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1497333

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course

Molly - fantastic race. You learnt a lot out there....amd paced all three legs well. I like that no one passed you on the run that means you paced your race perfectly. Congrats some thing sto think about for your next race.

1/ Swim with the wetsuit on saves you time and means you don't need to use your legs.

2/ Ditch those socks and practice those transitions.

3/ Belive in yourself in the swim and go from at least the middel of the pack next time.

4/ Get those aerobars on and practice in them...

Well done for a great race! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed