General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A bad decision that needs sharing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-29 7:09 PM

User image

Amherstburg Ontario
Subject: A bad decision that needs sharing
This is a therapeutic thread for me that I need to write. I did my first tri of the season on father’s day and panicked so badly on the swim that I QUIT. I could not get the thought of drowning out of my head and my brain told me that if I didn’t get out of the water now I was going to sink, I even started trying to pull my wetsuit off because I couldn’t breathe. I completely overlooked this possibility of brain freeze when training and have dissected it enough that I hope some of this will help someone else. Now here is my list of how I need to combat this in the future,

I have done some OWS in practice for this tri and in the past and even in a Tri last year HOWEVER this was my first DEEP water experience. The lake I swim in normally is only around shoulder deep 100 ft from shore and I swim parallel to shore therefore I was completely unprepared when the irrational realization hit me that this was a shipping harbour and deep. After further introspection I realized that this was the first time in my life that I was in water over my head that was not a pool. The week before I easily did a 1500m OWS followed by 50 mile bike and 5 mile run, fitness was not an issue for a sprint, mental readiness was.

Wear a watch. I use a Garmin and because it is not water proof I leave it in the bike mount during the swim. Had I had a watch to see how little time had actually elapsed then I may not have quit. It seemed like I was out there forever in reality it was like 6 or 7 minutes. Anything to remain calm and let my training kick in.

The most important is DO NOT QUIT. Even if my next sprint takes me 2 days to complete the swim I will. I am struggling with a tremendous amount of self doubt and even self loathing for my decision to get out of the water. When I train now I have fear inside about my ability to succeed. I just finished watching a couple of IM videos from last year and cannot stop kicking myself in the for quitting. It was the worst decision I could have made and I need to redeem myself for it in a couple of weeks to conquer my self esteem problem that I am struggling with right now. The thought is constantly nagging me to stick to running. That’s my base and is much more time manageable than this triathlon stuff. So if nothing else in this thread helps anyone DO NOT QUIT. I know that I cannot drown in my wetsuit surrounded by kayaks, I can back float, breast float, sidestroke or whatever stroke in order to finish but I do not train as hard as I do to sell myself short.

Edited by davegibb 2008-06-29 7:11 PM

2008-06-29 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1497654

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: A very bad day
Part of this sport is MENTAL. You realize now that you can't let something like DEEP WATER get into your head.

What you might want to do is get a Swim Safe device (they sell them via BT and other places). Then you know if you think you are not going to make it... you are safe because you can pull it and not drown. Piece of mind.

Next time, you won't quit. Stroke-stroke-breathe-repeat. Focus on that. NOTHING ELSE. You can do it. Visualize you doing it. Think positive thoughts.

Good luck, hang in there!

2008-06-29 7:34 PM

Expert
Subject: RE: A bad decision that needs sharing
First things first: YOU DID THE RIGHT THING! Your protection mechanism kicked in and you got out of the water, and now you have the opportunity to try again. Of all the things in life to get down on yourself about, not finishing a tri is way way down on the list. No doubt there will be a lot of good suggestions forthcoming from the board. Relax, try a few that appeal to you, and get some practice in water that's over your head. There's a product, its a safety inflation belt, that you wear around your waist (someone will post a link), this will help provide some assurance that you have an out in case something happens. I use to swim with one of those lifeguard big red floats things connected to a cord tied around my ankle whenever I was doing an OWS alone. Don't get wrapped up in the 'quitting is not an option' hype, get caught up in the "being prepared is the best defense against fear' option.

2008-06-29 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Please try not to beat yourself up so much! I've panicked in a swim before. IT SUCKS. When you're truly panicked, it's a physical reaction and sometimes there just isn't all that much you can do about it. When I panicked, I was lucky that I was in shallow water and I could just stop and collect myself, and even then I was never able to put my head in the water and swim freestyle. I did finish that race, but I'm not sure I would have if I'd been in deep water. I'm not saying you were right to have quit, just ... I don't know that you were wrong, either. You got to the point where you were trying to rip off your wetsuit. That's pretty bad! You're a strong athlete, and you know how to swim the distance -- obviously something bad kicked in that day and it wasn't your race. I think you need to give yourself a break.

That said, it's great that you've taken a terrible experience and learned a lot from it. You're going to be fantastic in your next tri because you'll be prepared -- you'll practice swimming in deep water, you'll wear your watch, you'll remind yourself that you really can do it.
2008-06-29 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1497664

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: A very bad day

Echoing KHS, triathlon is a lot like baseball...it's 90% mental; the other half is physical.

Sounds like you have a solid game plan to deal with your demons - good for you; great attitude. Best of luck at the next one.

Given your location and the reference to a father's day race, you're likely referring to the Leamington Tomatoman; you may have DNF'd, but you have me beat because I DNS, with a really lame excuse that I've been beating myself up about for 2 weeks, so you at least beat me. 

2008-06-29 7:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'm in my fifth year doing tris and I still get panic issues swimming. It is always worst early in the season. The more ows I do the better. I always try to swim in the tri location before the race. I try to swim more and do ows 3-4x a week and then all the sudden I am better.

I agree that tris are much more mental than most of us give us thought/credit too. If you read my blog it is mostly about mental stuff dealing with IM training..my mind doubts..but my body always does what I ask of it.

Mental training is huge...there is a great book on Mental Training for Triathletes tha is part of the Friel series of tri books. I'd recommend reading it for everyone.

You learned something important and be better prepared next time. For me having a mental plan how to deal with my issues helps.

2008-06-29 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I think panic is normal, especially for those of us who struggle with the swim. In my first and only OWS I started to panic. The best thing I did was flip over on my back and catch my breath. I ended up completing over have the course on my back (not a back stroke because I didn't really use my arms). I had the 4th slowest swim time of anyone. I am still wondering who the heck could have gone slower than me.

Point is I finished the tri. I'm not trying to toot my own horn. I'm just saying at that point it is very disappointing to have to give up especially since you probably trained very hard for this tri. If it ever happens again, just float on your back. Breath easy and relax. You can float on your back and kick your way to the finish line, then hammer it on the bike and the run to see how many people you can pass.

You will learn for this experience and be better for it.

2008-06-29 8:08 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Sorry to hear of your disappointment. All the training in the world doesn't prepare you for the mental aspect of sport. It's hard and no one talks about it enough.

I'm always on the edge of quitting, blowing up, making mistakes, etc. I quit a crit race to throw up once and, somehow, still feel disappointed in myself. I had to puke for criss-sakes, yet still, I feel like I let myself down.

Last year in an OLY, I tripped during the run. Blood everywhere; road rash, a piece of my thumb scraped off. I stood there for what seemed like an eternity: Shocked and stunned. I managed to get it back together and finish, but my day went from really good to really bad in that split second. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... if you're interested.

I have to have at least 4-5 other "bad day" experiences to share. I also have a few where, at one point, I had the decision in my hands and dictated to myself the outcome. You can will yourself to get through it and, sometimes, it works out really well.

Point is: It's mental toughness. That strength is gained through experience, not training. You've got 1 bad day under your belt. There'll be more, but you can gain from today's disappoinment and rally next time. Find another race, another day and go get 'em.
2008-06-29 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

The backstroke works very well when you start to panic in the water.   I did my first tri  a few weeks ago and freaked out in the water.  Luckily I was able to pull it together enough to keep moving but did most of the swim on my back.  It wasn't pretty but it worked. 

You have made a really good list of the things you need to think about and work on for the next OWS.  You have trained enough to easily finish the swim distance in a sprint tri and, like you said, you're not going to drown in a wetsuit with a bunch of kayakers around!! Now you know what to expect and how to handle panicking in the future.  You'll rock your next OWS!

Edited by vball03umd 2008-06-29 8:33 PM
2008-06-29 8:46 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Had all the same thoughts run through my head during my 1st Tri. Don't even know why I didn't quit. Definitely went through my mind. I can remember being in the water and thinking Duathlon's are fun too! The good news is during my 2nd race I was "better" during the swim and never once thought of quitting. Now I'm hoping the 3rd time truly is the charm and I'll swim like I do in training.

Just hang in there and give it another try. Also if you didn't his time get out there early and swim some before the race so your brain will know that you in fact can do it.
2008-06-29 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston

I know how you are feeling. My first tri this year blew because I had a panic reaction during the swim. Nothing physically wrong, I was trained, could do the distance, knew open water, but something in the head had my heart and breathing racing so bad I could roll to my stomach. I was second to last coming out of the water and completely disappointed in myself.

I took my experience as a learning opportunity. The triggers for me were the cold water on my face... Same thing happened year before last. Now I make sure I've spent time race day in the water getting used to the feel so that I can tell myself that it is nothing. Did this my second tri in much colder water and had a good swim.

Funny (not ha-ha) how the mind can take over.

Hang in there, this can be overcome.

2008-06-29 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

This is my first post. I've been lurking for a few months, and this thread really struck a chord with me. So I wanted to relate something that really worked for me in the hopes that it helps.

For years I wanted to do tris, but the thought of the OWS terrified me. Late last year I decided to finally take the plunge. I set the date for my first tri (April 2008 -- which meant no possibility for open water practice before the tri), and started to train. As the tri approached, the thought of the OWS was still terrifying, but at least I developed some level of swim fitness in the pool.

Then, I bought a wetsuit and took it for a test swim in the pool. The result was panic and trouble breathing. It felt like the wetsuit was choking me. And this was in my familiar pool, not the open water! I felt like I was in deep trouble.

But here's what I did. At each pool swim workout, I set aside 500 yards to do visualization. While swimming these yards, I would keep my eyes open, but would visualize swimming in open water wearing a wetsuit. I forced myself to vividly imagine the deep cold murky water, the distant shore, other swimmers bumping into me, and especially the compression of the wetsuit. I could tell it worked because I could feel my anxiety level rising. Then I practiced calming myself down while still swimming, focusing on exhaling forcefully so that I could catch my breath (I had read that the cant-breath feeling was due to not exhaling). I did this for several weeks at every swim workout. I could feel the anxiety fading with time.

Then came the test: my first tri AND my first ever OWS was in April 2008. I splashed into the cold water and as soon as I started swimming, the anxiety started big-time and I felt like I couldn't breath. My only thought was that there was no way I could do this. But then, all the visualization training kicked in. My exhales automatically became forceful, I caught my breath, and my focus automatically went to just being calm. After a minute or so, the panic attack was over, and I actually enjoyed the swim.

Hope this is useful for you!

2008-06-30 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran

I'm glad you're getting a lot of support & advice, it's so great to post something & know you're not alone!  I too have struggled with OWS since getting involved in this sport. I've had my fair share of panic attacks (I even had a mini-one this weekend..in my wetsuit) and I still get butterflies in my belly thinking of being out there...I'm much more comfortable on land!  What works best for me when I get that omgosh this is scary feeling is to just concentrate on my stroke and know that every moment I'm working, I'm getting closer to my goal - the finish...the more I dilly-dally, the longer I'll have to be out there (I use the same thought-process when my long runs start to feel like an eternity).  I also immediately flip to my back when I feel uneasiness come along, I look up at the sky, breath deeply, turn into a porpoise & just re-lax....gain my composure & then..swim like hell back to land or continue on...the bottom line is that us novices will have these little insecurities creep into our heads..and as many have said, it's a big part of the challenge of being out there!  I also second the idea of stringing along a pfd during training swims for that extra level of comfort...keep up the good work though...like Eleanor Roosevelt said, Do One Thing Every Day that Scares You...you won't believe how you will grow! 

2008-06-30 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

I would like to add a couple of hints for you for next time.

(1) Thoroughly warm up before the swim. Especially if you are wearing a wetsuit. My first year doing tri's, I only panicked if I had a wetsuit on. Seems that the constriction of the suit led me to believe I couldn't breath. Swimming a few hundred yards before a race gets the wetsuit loosened up and I always feel much better.

(2) If I start to panic, I focus on counting strokes and breathing. I make a deal with myself: swim 5 strokes freestyle, swim 5 strokes breast stroke (with my head out of the water if neccessary). And when I exhale in the water, I make noise and blow hard. Somehow seems to help relax me. (Not sure what people swimming near me think...).

It probaby took me 2 years to get thorougly comfortable with OWS racing, and I still have issues now and again, but I've come a long way...

2008-06-30 8:28 AM

User image

Amherstburg Ontario
Thanks everyone for their encouraging words...I know that I will overcome this fear and simply was unprepared because it had bever happened before in my home lake. It is nice to know that I am not a weirdo.

Dave

Edited by davegibb 2008-06-30 8:28 AM
2008-06-30 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

You have had a lot of good advice already - a few things keep me going  (it is my first season so I am not the most experienced)

1. I remind myself that I am wearing a wetsuit - which means I float - if things get really bad just flip onto your back and relax

2. the focus on breathing and technique totally helps - yesterday's foggy ocean swim (cohasset tri) I realized 3/4 of the way through that I was holding my breath!  so I started focusing on exhaling and humming - too bad I did not do that earlier - might not have sucked so bad on the swim!

3. I also allow myself breast stroke to calm myself if I am getting worked up -

what I will say, this was an ocean swim, and the swim seemed far shorter to me than my last tri - which was lake.

getting some OWS practice in your wetsuit definitely helps

especially when I know that I can just flip onto my back and relax  

2008-06-30 9:06 AM

Eugene
I panicked on my first Oly swim yesterday too. I can physically do the distance but couldn't catch my breath, felt like my wetsuit was choking me and just couldn't force myself to get my head in the water. I got out and they let me do the duathlon instead. I have another Oly tri in 3 weeks...this one down a river and I'm trying to decide what to do...so you are NOT ALONE! Someone already said that you were doing what comes natural, trying to protect yourself and I totally believe this as well. I wasn't prepared mentally either. Obviously it comes with experience. The way I thought about it was that this is supposed to be FUN, I'm not getting paid for it, so no sense in suffering. Don't beat yourself up over this! Most people wouldn't even attempt this stuff. Everybody has bad days. Hopefully you'll TRI again...I plan on spending the next couple of weeks in my wetsuit as much as I can to work on that mental stuff. Good luck!
2008-06-30 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
The swim is not my strongest part either.  i just keep telling myself that it will be over soon.  my second race this season(oly) i couldn't wait to get out of the water.
2008-06-30 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
To reiterate what was said earlier, mental training and toughness is the hardest part of triathlon. FWIW, the swim is my strongest of the 3 and while I don't panic in open water, I sure do have a mental challenge in that I get frustrated with myself that I don't swim straight, that I have to do breast stroke, that other people are going faster than me, etc. But I have to keep talking myself down and remind myself that I'm not in it to win it - just get through it and finish. I was doing the swim in a relay yesterday and had a decent swim, but at the same time I had thoughts of quitting but if i did, my relay partners would kill me.

point is - whether you are new to swimming and/or OWS, thoughts of doubt and fear creep in. The voices in our heads play some funny tricks on us and it's that mental toughness that lets the little "angel" on the other shoulder win the conversation. Keep at it and you'll have a great swim next time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A bad decision that needs sharing Rss Feed