General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Guy from Sacramento Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-21 6:29 PM

New user
Subject: New Guy from Sacramento
What is going on? I was a swimmer and water polo player in highschool, 10 years ago. After I graduated I have never been able to get back in good shape. I mean I am allright, I still run 2 to 3 times a week and did a sprint Triathlon last year. However I have been as heavy as 250 and currently weigh 224 and I have addictions to anything with the word Reeses on it and like to binge on Fast Food. My goal is eventually to over come my food addictions and be more consistent with my exercise. I plan on doing two more sprint Triathlons this year. I just want to know how to get motivated to kick it into high gear. I want to lose this weight and eventually do a half Ironman. I go on spurts of greatness for about a week of vigourous exercise and eating right, but then I slide back into my old my habits. Let me know of anybodys experience with finally overcoming and losing the weight and doing the Triathlon.

2005-01-21 7:03 PM
in reply to: #106878

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: New Guy from Sacramento
Welcome, Renn. I am also in the Sacramento area (Roseville). There's a few of us on here from Sactown. Join the club with wanting to lose weight -- literally! There's a weight loss challenge going on right now in the Tri-ing for weight loss forum. I've continue to struggle with weight and eating issues, but having completed a triathlon, we're both already triathletes! There are many people who are "overweight" and are still quite successful at training for and completing/competing in triathlons. In fact, many of them are my biggest motivators. You came to the right place for motivation and know-how. Welcome aboard!

In Sac, TBF Racing has a few events and their related TBF Training has multisport training classes (starting tomorrow), and Team in Faith will start up a series of mini, practice triathlons in a few months. I just joined Team in Training here in Sac for a marathon in June. I hear they will also be coaching triathlons starting in a couple of months. Up in my area, Rocklin Running and Racing has just started a Triathlon club that I'm planning on checking out. Let me know if you want more ideas.
2005-01-21 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Utah
Welcome!  I don't live in CA anymore (grew up in Modesto), but my triathlete brother lives in Elk Grove.  He and I are going to do a tri for fun on Aug. 6th in  Sac.
2005-01-21 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Hi Renn,

Welcome to B/T!!! I had many of the same weight issues, and bad eating habits. My secret was setting a goal (place in my age division in a local race). I'm still waiting for that to happen, but it has given me great motivation for training.

In sacramento you have LOTS of options open - from off-road tris to sprints to marathons. I have found that a consistent workout pattern (2 work outs during the week, and one on the weekend) gives me enough of a break in between that I stay really motivated.

Also, I have found this site to be a great motivator - come back often!!!!!

Welcome, talk to you later,

Dennis
2005-01-24 11:59 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
I second the advice to check out TBF (Total Body Fitness): http://www.totalbodyfitness.com. They have some great races -- some of the best I've seen. Ice Breaker is their first tri of the season, in mid-April. I'm aiming to do a couple of the Tri-4-Fun races, and maybe one of the Tri-4-Real races.

You're also close to the Davis Mad Cow Triathlon Team, so you might want to check out doing some training with them as well.
2005-01-25 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Greetings from a fellow sugar addict. I've been off the "juice" for about two weeks now and today's the first day I can type without twitching.

I feel your struggle as I a 249.5 lbs guy doing this triathlon thing for the first time as well. Just do like me: go in the blind hope that all this sweating and pain is actually good for you and you can get back to what you once looked like...eventually.

Good luck with the weight loss!

2005-01-25 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Hello,

I just wanted to say that I raced my first marathon down in Sacramento a couple of years ago, California International Marathon. What a great event! Very fast course.

I'm about 6 hours north of ya in Oregon.

I am also addicted to food. Love to eat. If it was not for all my training I would be overweight myself. Try and get into a good routine and stick to it. You will feel so good when your working out consistently.

Just wanted to say Good Luck and talk later,

Randy
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Guy from Sacramento Rss Feed