General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tupper Lake, New York
United States
Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 65/164
Age Group = W 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Swim
  • 21m 26s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was so happy with this swim!!!! I did not panic - not once-- took pretty much to the turn buoy to get down to bilateral breathing- up till then, there was too much territorial/defense swimming to keep my head down that long. I tried to stay waaaaaaaay left and out of the fray-- as did every other racer- so I basically had to cross everyone to get back to the buoy line. Next time I would hope to notice this sooner. I guess it could differ race to race. Once I rounded buoy and hit my pace it was great-- it was funny to look around and see everyone doing the same thing as me-- looking around! Practically no heads were down for first 300 or so. I basically did a lot of ground holding- learning who to give in to and who to stand up to in asserting my swimming presence. I liked this part- it felt very strategic.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Bike
  • 1h 06m 7s
  • 18.6 miles
  • 16.88 mile/hr
What would you do differently?:

RIDE MORE. PERIOD.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Run
  • 57m 12s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This felt harder than I expected. I think I put out too much on the bike.Not a terrible run, but could have been better, for sure.
What would you do differently?:

I need to do more bricks. I was able to run faster on bricks in practice??hould do hillier bricks, I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt good- then changed and could not find shade to watch friends finish. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH- began to feel nauseous with tight crampy knots across whole of stomach region. Ate, drank, didnt' really help. Had a massage, which helped. Back into the sun to watch friends- still no good, had to leave. Home to shower and nap-- helped but still whipped. Went to friends's house (who also raced) for dinner. Early to bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough practice on bike. If I had been stronger for bike, I would have had more legs left for run. First open water swim with mass start so had no idea what to really expect despite much thought and discussion with others on topic. Not sure why T1 took so long- maybe I was just so happy to be done with swim?? It felt much faster than 3 minutes. I have looked at other people's times and there were people that I beat out of the water (not really my strongest event- as you may recall I have only been a swimmer since January) who beat me on bike- runs were the same, generally. So basically I could be stronger at my swim and my bike and make my run easier, since that's the event where I have most experience anyhow.

Event comments:

I loved. Signing up for this race in January was what started this whole ride for me. I did it, I placed right up there pretty close to, with and even head some local tri/Iron Man athletes, so that made me feel great. I am definately hooked on this sport!!!!

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:26 | 1056 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 0/164
Performance:
Suit:
Course: rectangle, going right around buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:07 | 18.6 miles | 16.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/13
Performance:
Wind:
Course: A hilly course. Typical for the Adirondacks. I need to get out on my bike more. No excuses. I was much stronger when I was on that trainer and riding my head off January - April. It felt good though- no hill really kicked my butt. The truth of the matter is that I have no idea how to ride a bike re: gear changes. I need a "lesson"--I just do what feels right- who knows if that's effective??
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:12 | 06.2 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/13
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly both ways.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-07-01 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1498339

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance
How fun!  And you've only been swimming since January??? I'm impressed!Smile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed