General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Runner Gurus: Groin Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-30 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: Question for Runner Gurus: Groin Injury

So last Tuesday I do a 12 x 15" sprint workout and the legs were sore but I recover, Fri, do an easy 8, get massage and seem to be doing OK though wouldn't say legs are 100%.  Today, is the next scheduled run.

The plan is 8 x 1' sprint workout with 2' recovery.  Seems as though I've -- well, I hesitate to actually use the word strain but my groin area -- based on the depiction below -- is the area that is the sore point. Mostly the area that's to the right lower quadrant of that white square in the photo below.  By the 4th sprint, I was really feeling it but I carried on to do the 8. 

My cool down was an slow easy run, then walk which was OK.  I iced when I got home, but am just looking for any words of wisdom in re future activity / treatment  from anyone who's suffered similar.

Groin area

Edited by travljini 2008-06-30 10:42 AM

2008-06-30 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1498674

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Question for Runner Gurus: Quad Injury

Next time, stop when you're really feeling it.

2008-06-30 11:39 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Question for Runner Gurus: Groin Injury
I'm a long time runner, and get twinges like this on occasion. For me they basically fall into two different categories.

The first kind hurt untill I warm up, then they feel okay during the run. These I train through, but cut out significant speed work. Maybe I'll do LT type work or not it depends on what is aggrivating it.

The second kind get progressively worse during the run untill I have to stop and walk. These you can't train through, and you are stuck resting. Often even with these I can use eliptical or ride a bike without agrivating them, so will substitute those.

In general if it is in the first category, you're okay as long as you stay away from sprinting. Good luck.
2008-06-30 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1498967

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

hurtin - 2008-06-30 12:39 PM I'm a long time runner, and get twinges like this on occasion. For me they basically fall into two different categories. The first kind hurt untill I warm up, then they feel okay during the run. These I train through, but cut out significant speed work. Maybe I'll do LT type work or not it depends on what is aggrivating it. The second kind get progressively worse during the run untill I have to stop and walk. These you can't train through, and you are stuck resting. Often even with these I can use eliptical or ride a bike without agrivating them, so will substitute those. In general if it is in the first category, you're okay as long as you stay away from sprinting. Good luck.

thanks for that  

I wasn't totally dismayed, as when I cut back to the cooldown and didn't feel incapacitated, so I'll avoid the speed stuff for awhile.  I was just a bit gung ho as this is the firs time using a "speed plan" to train with. 

2008-06-30 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1499335

User image

travljini - 2008-06-30 2:13 PM

thanks for that  

I wasn't totally dismayed, as when I cut back to the cooldown and didn't feel incapacitated, so I'll avoid the speed stuff for awhile.  I was just a bit gung ho as this is the firs time using a "speed plan" to train with. 

You're welcome. Yeah beginning speed work can be a bit of a risk, esp if you don't have lots of experience. Your muscles are saying something like "Oh what was that!".

A good rule of thumb when doing speed is too slow is better than too fast, and when you feel like you can do exactly one more interval, stop, that is exactly the right amount. It is easy to overdo it, esp when running with a group.
2008-06-30 9:46 PM

User image

Regular
Southeastern Minnesota
sounds like your hip flexor. Iv done that before....just pop enough ibprofen til it goes away. always worked for me.

2008-06-30 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1500783

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

AndysStrongAle - 2008-06-30 9:46 PM sounds like your hip flexor. Iv done that before....just pop enough ibprofen til it goes away. always worked for me.

I wish it were that simple all the time.  Sometimes it is; although I too have an injury like the one described.  Unfortunately, mine has been lingering for several months, despite PT and cautious running.  Running uphill is hard when it's flared up. 

I'd suggest seeing a doc about it.  I think I

2008-07-01 5:25 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Have you done any trigger point work on the area?  I occasionally feel a twinge where your white box is located.  For me, it is often the adductor causing the problem.  I have a PT massage ball and start by putting it at the insertion point and roll around until I find a trigger point (sit on a hard surface).  If it is the adductor you should feel a twinge in the exact area of your pain.  I hold it there until the pain subsides.  You can also roll down the length of the adductor. 

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/thighmuscles/anteriormuscles/sartorius/tutorial.html

2008-07-01 5:40 AM

Expert
Southeast
agree with most of the above.  Massage can help.  Cautious strengthening can help.  Stopping when it really hurts is also a good idea, especially if you're new to speed training.  Ease into it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for Runner Gurus: Groin Injury Rss Feed