General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about running in the heat and other variables Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-30 7:00 PM

Oldsmar, FL
Subject: Question about running in the heat and other variables

OK, here's the deal .... been aggressively moving through a Couch to 5K program ---- to the point now where on a 30 min session I'm only walking about 8-9 min .... but the odd thing is that although I am running for longer periods without rest compared to where I was 2-3 weeks ago, I am not going any further in terms of distance [in  fact I might even be running about .1 mile less ... but it's not like I go the exact same route each time so that might have some factor in it]

FWIW, I just started trying to incorporate some Chi Running technique into my runs in the last 2 weeks so maybe that has something to do with it

I did notice from my notes that my HR is up a lot more when I have to do my runs after work in the 88-92+ degree weather & humidity vs. when I run in the morning and it hasn't hit 80 yet

will all of these things play a factor in my performance? wonder if the temp is as big of a factor as something like changing my running style, adding more run vs. walk, etc

any & all thoughts and insight is greatly appreciated in advance

2008-06-30 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1500381

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Question about running in the heat and other variables
As a resident of Phoenix AZ, where it is currently 108, allow me to opine about the heat. The heat will manifest itself immediately as an elevated HR as your body is forced to divert more energy to cool itself and you get contraction of the blood vessels. If you are training by HR, you won't be able to go as far or as fast. In general, your body will also slow you down to compensate. Try and get in early morning runs to compare the difference.
2008-06-30 7:15 PM

Oldsmar, FL

OK, that makes a lot of sense --- I use a garmin 305 and review each of my runs at this point and that heat and HR relationship must be it

was getting nervous that I was plateauing or something that I couldn't quantify .... thanks for the input

by the way -- and I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question --- where/how do triathletes in AZ practice for the OWS???

2008-06-30 7:23 PM

User image

Tyler,
yes heat increases heart rate and effects your RPE scale. Your HR is lower in the mornings anyways. If I were in your place I would try to increase distance or time to my runs and to do that I would avoid heat by running (in Texas) before 7:30 am or after 7pm. Because after that it gets freakin' hot.
2008-06-30 7:23 PM

User image

Tyler,
yes heat increases heart rate and effects your RPE scale. Your HR is lower in the mornings anyways. If I were in your place I would try to increase distance or time to my runs and to do that I would avoid heat by running (in Texas) before 7:30 am or after 7pm. Because after that it gets freakin' hot.
2008-06-30 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1500407

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
surgeandsettle - 2008-06-30 7:15 PM

OK, that makes a lot of sense --- I use a garmin 305 and review each of my runs at this point and that heat and HR relationship must be it

was getting nervous that I was plateauing or something that I couldn't quantify .... thanks for the input

by the way -- and I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question --- where/how do triathletes in AZ practice for the OWS???

There are more boats registered in AZ per capita than any state in the Union! We have a lot of lakes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about running in the heat and other variables Rss Feed