General Discussion Triathlon Talk » my sunblock makes my numbers run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-01 7:26 PM

Subject: my sunblock makes my numbers run

Can anyone recommend a sunblock that won't make my numbers run?  In my first triathlon I used spray-on sunblock about 20 minutes after body marking and the it made a horrible mess of my numbers.  Last weekend I went with cream sunblock and the ink didn't run but it slowly smeared away.  Recommendations?

Alternatively, is there a brand of marker that won't be affected by sunblock?  DO I need to bring my own Sharpie or Marks-A-Lot?  What do the pros use? 

2008-07-01 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1502840

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: my sunblock makes my numbers run
sconning - 2008-07-01 7:26 PM

Can anyone recommend a sunblock that won't make my numbers run? In my first triathlon I used spray-on sunblock about 20 minutes after body marking and the it made a horrible mess of my numbers. Last weekend I went with cream sunblock and the ink didn't run but it slowly smeared away. Recommendations?

Alternatively, is there a brand of marker that won't be affected by sunblock? DO I need to bring my own Sharpie or Marks-A-Lot? What do the pros use?

Just remember to wear your bib number and they'll find you in the photos.
2008-07-01 10:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ
I don't think I've ever finished a race with any legible body marks remaining.  The spray sunscreen definitely cuts through the ink worse than lotion.  (I once used it to remove tree sap from my son's hands)  I almost always re-apply sunscreen at least once during the race, so I figure it's a lost cause and don't even worry about it anymore.  Maybe if you did your own body marks the night before the race and let it set into your skin overnight that may work better.
2008-07-01 10:42 PM

I use lotion sunscreen and put it on about 2 hours before the race start (about 1 hour before body marking) and had good luck with that method. I think the brand of sunscreen I used was ocean potion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » my sunblock makes my numbers run Rss Feed