General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roadie vs Tri Bike in my first tri... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-02 8:51 PM

User image

Regular
Rowan University - Health & Exercise Science Major
Subject: Roadie vs Tri Bike in my first tri...
Hello!

Well as some of you know, i just picked up a used but basically new Tri bike and prior to that i was riding on my 5 yr old roadie!

My first tri is on July 12th...thinking on top of my head i would think my coach would have maybe 5 rides left...

So i'm trying to look at all the pro's and con's between the two and determine what will be my best option as far as a bike goes.

Roadie:

Pro's - its been my go to bike for the past 6 months of training. I was able to sustain 20mph avg for 1hr a month ago and i think i could push it to 21 and/or maybe 22mph for the race. Im very comfortable on it!

Con's - i loose aero abilitlies and b/c of that my hr will increase. Its heavier then my tri bike. Along with a significant difference in components (roadie has shimano sura while the Tri bike has full ultegra)

Tri bike:

Pro's - its practically a new bike, its a Tri bike, great components, improvement in aero position which should help in my speed along with my HR decreasing compaired to that of the roadie...again lighter then the roadie and much better components

Con's - i only have 1 ride on it so far and will only get about 5 on it b4 the race. Im not as comfortable as compaired to the roadie. Right now i feel that i have to train other muscels in my legs when in the TT position and not sure if they will come around fast enough.

I'm really not sure what would be the best plan of action as far as the bike goes for me. Do i take the bike in which i have months and years of experience while loosing aero position.

Or

Do i take the bike in which i have limited time on, yet i gain with the aero position and a lighter bike...

What do you all think?

thanks!

2008-07-02 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1505401

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Subject: RE: Roadie vs Tri Bike in my first tri...
Unless you are going to lose a podium by 30 seconds ride the oldie but goodie.  Train on the tribike after and then kill your next race with it.
2008-07-02 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1505401

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Subject: RE: Roadie vs Tri Bike in my first tri...
Ditto.

For this race the road bike. Tri steering can be twitchy. Until you are fully comfortable on your new bike, can corner well at speed, deal with speed bumps and gravel and idiot riders who cut you off, wont let you pass etc, its better to be on a bike you trust and don't have to think about.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roadie vs Tri Bike in my first tri... Rss Feed