General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Breathing - training vs. racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-07 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1506388

User image

Subject: RE: Swim Breathing - training vs. racing

Today was my first day of training for my first sprint.  I had read about the bilateral breathing every three strokes technique and thought I would give it a try.  Although I could only make it a half lap bilaterally breathing, I did notice that I was moving smoothly and consistently.  I normally breathe laterally on the right every two strokes and find myself twisting my body which slows me down.  I'm sure that on the day of the race, I'll revert to my natural instincts and go laterally but I am hoping that even just practicing this type of breathing will help strengthen my rookie lungs. 

2008-07-08 2:41 AM

Extreme Veteran

Anyone else get dizzy breating every 2 strokes? I sure do.

The argument for more oxygen sounds pretty good, but it feels like everything is too rushed.
Think I'll stick to a slow and steady 3 strokes/breath for now.  

2008-07-08 7:02 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Dream Chaser - 2008-07-03 11:07 AM

Ok, I did a search and did not find a specific answer.  In training and in my past races I bilateral breathe on every fourth stroke.    It's pretty comfortable for me but I would like to get a little faster, especially on Race Day.  Last night I was reading the latest issue of Triathlon Magazine and a small article stated that 90% of competitive distance swimmers breathe to one side and breath every two stokes.  The article stated the reason for this is because by breathing every other stroke they are taking in more oxygen which provides more fuel for the muscles. 

My question is:  does anyone bilateral breathe in training and then breath every two strokes to one side on Race Day?  My 70.3 is 9 days away and I'm wondering if I should do a few test runs in the pool and check out this technique. 

I always thought I'd be faster and glide more by bilaterally breathing every fourth stroke, but now that I think about it, when I think back to all the triathlons I tivo'd last season, the leaders in the water always breathed to one side every other stroke.  Thoughts?

yes and no. Yes because I warm up and cool down doing bilateral breathing (every 3 strokes) to keep my pace easy and slow. once I start doing main sets I breathe every 2 strokes to be able to swim faster and the way I'll do in a race. But I breathe to the left side going out and to the right coming back, that way I've become very comfortable breathing to any side in swimming and it is easier for navigation.

BTW, you are NOT swimming fast by gliding; everytime you glide you are not propeling yourself through the water, the way to swim faster is through an efficient stroke (reach, catch, pull, balance, rotation) and stroke frequency. Yes you could be swimming long and reaching as far as you can with the leading arm while the other arm is pulling and then switch hence the gliding time is minimal but if you stroke reach/glide while your opposite arm is not pulling you are just slowing down.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Breathing - training vs. racing Rss Feed  

of 2